ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1! Auburn Predictions

We have lost guys before. Contrary to popular belief Louisville football reloads, not rebuild. The three defensive transfers are probably better than the three guys they're replacing.

Devante Fields replaces Lorenzo Maudlin. Josh Harvey Clemons replaces Gerold Holliman and Shag Wiggins replace Charles Gaines. There is no drop off at all.

The OL is where the question is. The four new starters are big but not major college football experienced. A couple of jucos and two freshmen, one a true frosh.

You can't just assume because the Cards lost 10 guys in the draft that there's a lack of talent because there is not. Auburn has to replace several players themselves yet they're ranked in the top 10.

Not saying the Louisville program is on the same level as Auburn but the notion that the Cards will get blown out due to departed players from last season is ignorant.

Exactly...many of our Kentucky friends either don't actually follow Football or are just trolling...Auburn has many questions as well and breaking in new schemes as well...and don't give me recruiting ranking...14 Draft picks and 4 First Rounders in 2 years with Louisville recruiting classes ranked between 29th and 52nd...not about HS Star Rankings but your actual game

Well since we are playing the price is right rules I'm going with...
Auburn War Eagles - 3
Lousiville Red Birds- 2

I don't usually play the prediction game, but I'll say this... The closer the game gets and the more we hear and study, the more confident I become in our chances. In fact, I think there's a real chance this game is a beatdown by U of L. I'd express the probabilities as follow:

30% chance U of L wins in a blowout
60% chance of a pick 'em
10% chance Auburn wins in a blowout

I'd define a "blowout" as a margin of two or more TDs. I think there's very little probability Auburn wins that type of game...

Reactions: American Male
I don't usually play the prediction game, but I'll say this... The closer the game gets and the more we hear and study, the more confident I become in our chances. In fact, I think there's a real chance this game is a beatdown by U of L. I'd express the probabilities as follow:

60% chance of a pick 'em

I'd define a "blowout" as a margin of two or more TDs. I think there's very little probability Auburn wins that type of game...
Man, I'll have what you're having.... The talents levels aren't even in the same universe ;)

I've been looking over Auburn ' s depth chart and they actually lost more key players than the Cards. They just get the benefit of the doubt because of their big program status.

Also, there's a lot of expectation their new QB is going to be a stud. He has been waiting in the wings behind a QB who didn't get drafted. I'm sure he's talented but enough to be ranked #7? The Cards have just as much experience and talent at QB and more quality depth at the most important position.

The Tigers have a stud receiver back but the remaining skill positions are still to be determined how good they will be. The Cards are the same at WR but have a top duo at RB.

I think the Cards defense is better right now and will have more players drafted than Auburn next spring. I think coaching is even with the Cards having a edge became they're not implementing new schemes.

The only reason people pick Auburn big is due to their programs tradition. I bet most Auburn fans look at Louisville as a program like Cincinnati and Central Florida. Maybe some see the Cards like Minnesota or Colorado.

After Saturday they will start thinking differently and realize UofL is not just a hoops school with an accasional good football team.

Man, I'll have what you're having.... The talents levels aren't even in the same universe ;)
How do you come up with that? Has Auburn had 14 players drafted the past two season? How can you say the talent isn't in the same universe? That's not only ridiculous but stupid. Louisville is not Memphis. Ever since Charlie Strong arrived the Cards recruiting classes have averaged in the top 30. Not as good as Auburn but definitely in the same solar system.

This Cards team actually has more NFL talent than the team that throttled Florida a couple of years ago. A 11-1 Gator team who supposedly had so much more talent.

It's going to be pretty funny Saturday when Auburn fans are shocked that a hoops school is just as talented. Win or lose, you guys are going to see for yourselves that there's not much difference in these two teams abilities.

Was watching some of the Auburn spring game highlight videos. In the clips I saw, Auburn has some serious defensive issues that aren't gonna be entirely solved in the off-season. And I'm not particularly impressed with the hire of Muschamp anyway, not what I've seen of him.

It's gonna come down to U of L's QBs... If U of L's QB play has shown reasonable improvement--not even what Petrino has demonstrated happens between years one and two under his tutelage--THIS YEAR's Auburn defense is in trouble, at least in this opener. And people aren't necessarily expecting that.

Combined with what we know will be U of L's defensive play, my belief is that this game could get ugly for Auburn...

How do you come up with that? Has Auburn had 14 players drafted the past two season? How can you say the talent isn't in the same universe? That's not only ridiculous but stupid. Louisville is not Memphis. Ever since Charlie Strong arrived the Cards recruiting classes have averaged in the top 30. Not as good as Auburn but definitely in the same solar system.

This Cards team actually has more NFL talent than the team that throttled Florida a couple of years ago. A 11-1 Gator team who supposedly had so much more talent.

It's going to be pretty funny Saturday when Auburn fans are shocked that a hoops school is just as talented. Win or lose, you guys are going to see for yourselves that there's not much difference in these two teams abilities.

Haha you have no idea what you are talking about. Just on Auburns two deep right now you have a 5* top WR in next years draft Duke Williams, two 5* RB's in Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson, 5* OT Shon Coleman, 5* DT Montravious Adams, 5* DE Carl Lawson, 5* DE Byron Cowart, 5* LB Kris Frost, 5* LB Tre Williams and everyone else in the starting rotation is a 4* sans one OG Koxan who was a freshman all American. The talent level is not even close. Doesn't mean Auburn will win because you still have to play together and play like a team but it's not close. UL when they beat Florida had way more talent and way more talent where it counted which was at QB. Auburns got the NFL talent at QB this year, not UL.

Reactions: Housecat5

60% chance of a pick 'em

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Haha you have no idea what you are talking about. Just on Auburns two deep right now you have a 5* top WR in next years draft Duke Williams, two 5* RB's in Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson, 5* OT Shon Coleman, 5* DT Montravious Adams, 5* DE Carl Lawson, 5* DE Byron Cowart, 5* LB Kris Frost, 5* LB Tre Williams and everyone else in the starting rotation is a 4* sans one OG Koxan who was a freshman all American. The talent level is not even close. Doesn't mean Auburn will win because you still have to play together and play like a team but it's not close. UL when they beat Florida had way more talent and way more talent where it counted which was at QB. Auburns got the NFL talent at QB this year, not UL.

Yaaawwwnnn. We all know Auburn has way more 5 and 4 star players than Louisville, you don't have to list them all. Louisville doesn't bring in a lot of highly touted recruits, but they develop the players that they do get into great players. Not everything is about player's star rating coming out of high school. Since 2010, Louisville has had 18 NFL draft picks compared to Auburn's 17. To suggest that Louisville is not even in the same universe as Auburn when it comes to talent is laughable. Also, I believe someone has already mentioned this, but that NFL talent at QB you say that you have couldn't even start against your undrafted QB last year.

Well it is almost game time, so my final prediction is Louisville 37 - Auburn 31. Each team will score 4 TD'd, with Louisville making 4 FG and Auburn making 1. The numbers are based on how Bobby's teams at Arkansas (2008 - 2011) did against the Tigers. The Razorbacks won three out of four games. If he can have success with Arkansas's talent, he can with Louisville's.

Safe travels to ALL the fans coming to Atlanta for game. The place will be jumping. Be careful and enjoy yourselves and remember it's only a game.

Okay, if we're going to go with star rankings then yes, Auburn holds a pretty big advantage. However, you got to know that doesn't mean the Tigers are in a different universe than the Cards. Just last season , the Cards beat a Notre Dame team with many more former 4 and 5 star players. Lost to Clemson at the 1 yard line and had FSU down but ran out of gas. Those programs also have many more former 4 and 5 star recruits.

The point is, Louisville was and is in the same universe has ND, Clemson and FSU. I don't see where Auburn is any different. If you're going to go by recruiting rankings, Auburn wins every time. But I'm telling you, Louisville football has tons of former 3 star recruits in the NFL. The talent on this team is as much if not more than any Cardinal team in history.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Lot of low post count predictions. I know what that means. ;)

I still say we suck. No chance. Auburn is so good they'll score twice on every possession. They are $EC you know. They'll find a way.

I'm just hoping we don't have to forfeit to Houston for lack of healthy players.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: beasleythecard
Well it is almost game time, so my final prediction is Louisville 37 - Auburn 31. Each team will score 4 TD'd, with Louisville making 4 FG and Auburn making 1. The numbers are based on how Bobby's teams at Arkansas (2008 - 2011) did against the Tigers. The Razorbacks won three out of four games. If he can have success with Arkansas's talent, he can with Louisville's.

Safe travels to ALL the fans coming to Atlanta for game. The place will be jumping. Be careful and enjoy yourselves and remember it's only a game.

I read somewhere that when Bobby was HC at Arkansas he beat Auburn when Malzan was the OC, and Muschamp was the DC...If that's true, then he already knows how to prepare for, and BEAT BOTH of them!!!

:cool:

Stars mean something about how ready a high school kid is to come in and contribute right away. A Jr. or Sr. who was a 3* can be just as good or better than a freshman or Soph 4 or 5*. But it's just somebody's opinion. Auburn may well have more talent across the entire roster, but the gap is not huge as you suggest. The key will be who prepares the best and who makes the fewest mistakes. These are two teams with a lot of ????, and both will have some answers by Saturday night. Good luck after that!

The people who have actually taken the time to do the homework has helped me form my opinion. I believe these two teams at this time of the year are pretty even across the board. Both lost a lot of players from last years rosters, so the real question is who can replace the players lost the most effectively. Which ever team does that will win the game.

I have to go with my heart and say the Cards win a close game. 33-27

Yaaawwwnnn. We all know Auburn has way more 5 and 4 star players than Louisville, you don't have to list them all. Louisville doesn't bring in a lot of highly touted recruits, but they develop the players that they do get into great players. Not everything is about player's star rating coming out of high school. Since 2010, Louisville has had 18 NFL draft picks compared to Auburn's 17. To suggest that Louisville is not even in the same universe as Auburn when it comes to talent is laughable. Also, I believe someone has already mentioned this, but that NFL talent at QB you say that you have couldn't even start against your undrafted QB last year.

Since 2010 Auburn has won 2 SEC titles and 1 BCS title and came within 13 seconds of another. College football and the NFL are different animals. Not every All American is going to get drafted, so comparing draft picks isn't 100% of the story. High number of draft picks doesn't equal a good team or even a winning team, see Miami for more info.

You keep saying that AU QB couldn't beat out our undrafted QB, but do you realize that Nick won the starting job over true freshman Jeremy Johnson in 2013. Nick took us to the national title game and came back his senior year, but you want to bench him for a talented RSFr? It wasn't going to happen and it wasn't any knock on Jeremy. There is always a little more to the story. Anyways good luck Saturday.

Since 2010 Auburn has won 2 SEC titles and 1 BCS title and came within 13 seconds of another. College football and the NFL are different animals. Not every All American is going to get drafted, so comparing draft picks isn't 100% of the story. High number of draft picks doesn't equal a good team or even a winning team, see Miami for more info.

You keep saying that AU QB couldn't beat out our undrafted QB, but do you realize that Nick won the starting job over true freshman Jeremy Johnson in 2013. Nick took us to the national title game and came back his senior year, but you want to bench him for a talented RSFr? It wasn't going to happen and it wasn't any knock on Jeremy. There is always a little more to the story. Anyways good luck Saturday.

My post had nothing to do with the accomplishments or the success of Auburn, or any team for that matter. The point of it was to prove that Louisville is "in the same universe" as Auburn when it comes to talent. I never said Louisville had more talent than Auburn or that they were better just because they had more draft picks. The poster I was responding to was saying that since we don't have as many 5 stars as Auburn, we aren't even close to Auburn when it comes to talent, which is just not true whether one wants to believe it or not.

For Jeremy Johnson, I only said it once, but you got me there. He may very well turn out to be a great QB, but none of us know for sure. I don't get coming over here pumping your chest about him being an NFL talent though when he has thrown less passes than our 3rd string QB. Good luck to you as well, should hopefully be a great game.

Most Auburn fans respect Louisville and know that they are a worthy opponet. Do we expect to win? Absolutely! I feel the same way I feel when AU plays Arkansas or Ole Miss. We should win but if we dont play our A game we could get beat. I think most AU fans think or hope that the implosion last year was an aberration solely surrounding a putrid defensive scheme that couldnt win even with our offense scoring 40 points. The optimism is coming from new QB and new DC. Nick Marshall was a perfect fit for our offense in 2013 because we had an OL steamrolling people and a beast of a RB. Last year he still play great but our passing game was limited. Johnson should open up our entire offense for the first time with Gus as our HC. We just need Muschamp to make us a respectable defense again and I think he can. Louisville will score on AU because Petrino has proven he is a hell of a game planner especially in the first game. Remember that BP was our OC in 2002 and we won 9 games with a freshman QB and jouneyman scrub splitting reps all year and 4 true freshman WRs. Damn near beat SC in the opener and beat a good Penn St team in Citrus Bowl. He was the reason we were a top 10 team at years end. 34-27 AU

UL has a good defense but they struggled last year against elite offenses (FSU, UGA). UL has the talent to keep a lot of teams under 30 points but I think Auburn can score on anyone this year. UL's offense is going to take some time to come together. It's going to take time for Bonnafon to develop a rapport with so many new receivers. Bonnafon needs to be a more accurate passer as well. It's going to take time for the Oline to become a cohesive unit. In a game where the defenses will mostly cancel out UL won't be able to score the points needed to keep up. I think UL would've stood a better chance in this game had it been played later in the season.

My prediction:
Auburn 34
UL 17

Last edited:
UL has a good defense but they struggled last year against elite offenses (FSU, UGA). UL has the talent to keep a lot of teams under 30 points but I think Auburn can score on anyone this year. UL's offense is going to take some time to come together. It's going to take time for Bonnafon to develop a rapport with so many new receivers. Bonnafon needs to be a more accurate passer as well. It's going to take time for the Oline to become a cohesive unit. In a game where the defenses will mostly cancel out UL won't be able to score the points needed to keep up. I think UL would've stood a better chance in this game had it been played later in the season.

My prediction:
Auburn 34
UL 17
Hey Catfan -what are you doing over here? Got nothing to do till midnight madness?

Auburn and the SEC are over-rated. Tigers will have problems against our D.
UL 24-10

My prediction:
Auburn 34
UL 17
I don't think it comes down to the qb having a great game as much as it is the o-line pushing people back for Brandon Radcliff and LJ Scott to control the time of possession.If it's a shootout,it won't bode well.

I'd rather keep their offense off the field and move the sticks.A lower scoring affair,24-23 Cards.

Wildcat or tiger it makes no difference. Louisville starts the year off with a win. I am ready to hear the excuses when we beat the living snot out of them today.

The SEC is an over rated league and we will expose the frauds today.

Go Cards......

Beat the snobs......

Louisville 35
Auburn 24

#L1C4

Go Cards!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT