ADVERTISEMENT

FSU fires Taggert

One other difference - when Willie Taggart was hired he was considered an up and coming coach who had a year prior landed a plum job at Oregon and had great recruiting connections in Florida. In short he was a highly sought after coach. On the other hand, you had Bobby Petrino. Makes sense that they’d have similar buyouts.

Since you brought up CCS and Texas (and I agree with you) and also Taggart it brings a question to mind. There was certainly a “racial component” to the situation for CCS at Texas. I’m wondering what the feeling is about the same thing possibly existing at FSU. Anyone? I’m guessing that the FSU fanbase might have a feeling that they weren’t ready for an African-American coach. At least, some of them. I most certainly hope not but anything is possible.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I don't know if it was racial or not but I just think that the ghost of Bobby Bowden still hangs over that program. Anyone they hire better come in and have almost immediate success or the old guard is going to turn on you. The same can be said about a lot of fan bases but I just think when you have won Championships and have always been ranked high the fans are always going to expect that.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I’ll bet the FSU fanbase is super thrilled that their AD’s top target for head coach is a guy who Kentucky fans moan and groan about.

Is Kevin Stallings also coming to replace Leonard Hamilton?

I just think that the ghost of Bobby Bowden still hangs over that program.

Was thinking the same thing my man. Fans just expect too much. This really could turn into a Nebraska fall, but the talent in the state of FLA probably saves the program eventually. Then again, I thought the same for IU basketball with their state talent, and they have been pretty average for decades.

There really is a lot of risk playing musical chairs at HC. No continuity.

I forget was Jimbo kind of run out of town?

Reactions: CommodoreCard
One other difference - when Willie Taggart was hired he was considered an up and coming coach who had a year prior landed a plum job at Oregon and had great recruiting connections in Florida. In short he was a highly sought after coach. On the other hand, you had Bobby Petrino. Makes sense that they’d have similar buyouts.
I don’t recall anyone trying to woo Taggart away from Oregon. He was a good recruiter and a coach trying to return to his roots. Petrino has proven a lot more on the field than Taggart ever had...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Inmates running the asylum. Pretty sad statement there. Who would want to work with that type of mgmt?

I don’t recall anyone trying to woo Taggart away from Oregon. He was a good recruiter and a coach trying to return to his roots. Petrino has proven a lot more on the field than Taggart ever had...

The year prior to coming to Oregon, Taggart was one of the most sought after coaches. Nothing much changed in that year except that it shocked most that he’d leave Nike U. I don’t seem to remember that same level of pursuit of Petrino. Anyways, on the field stuff wasn’t exactly Petrino’s main issue at the time.

I believe I heard that Taggart has an all time losing record or barely at 500.

No doubt FSU fans think he’s head and shoulders better than Petrino—now or then...

Taggert like many up and coming coaches fail to truly build programs. Petrino is a good example. Never maintained a program always left.

Too much talent in Florida and they are still a program that can genuinely compete for titles. All FSU needs is a proven program builder. They will always have talent. The AD can’t be lazy. Taggert was a misguided hire they focused on his recruiting ability not his leadership.

Bob Stoops is going to be their 1st call. He checks all the boxes. The only question is where are they getting all the money to pay him and his staff. In this market he is a 6-7 million type of coach. That is a lot for FSU.

Last edited:
Bob Stoops heads the list. Lane Kiffin has expressed interest. Other potentials are Campbell from Iowa St and PJ Fleck at Minnesota.

Taggert like many up and coming coaches fail to truly build programs. Petrino is a good example. Never maintained a program always left.

Too much talent in Florida and they are still a program that can genuinely compete for titles. All FSU needs is a proven program builder. They will always have talent. The AD can’t be lazy. Taggert was a misguided hire they focused on his recruiting ability not his leadership.

Bob Stoops is going to be their 1st call. He checks all the boxes. The only question is where are they getting all the money to pay him and his staff. In this market he is a 6-7 million type of coach. That is a lot for FSU.

Actually, per the linked Orlando Sentinel article, the problem was that Taggart IS a program builder, and that for years FSU’s culture was to shortchange academics. I know from my own research that FSU’s current APR score of 936 is at the very bottom of the FBS and if it drops below 930 they become ineligible for the postseason.

Taggart was trying to completely change that, and had a great record of building programs at WKU and USF, but the boosters and fan base got impatient and pulled the plug.

Most likely the good news on the APR front is that Taggart’s 22 months running the program was long enough to raise the APR score significantly (we’ll find out how he did for the 2018-19 academic year in May 2020), so that the new coach will be able to make some roster changes and still stay above the 930 APR minimum that’s required to play in the postseason.

It's a premium board so I can't read it, but on the FSU board there is a 30+ reply thread discussing Satterfield as a possibility. A few thoughts:

1) I don't see Satterfield talking with other programs only 8 games into his career at Louisville. If he were 3 seasons in (or maybe even 2), I'd be worried. But I just don't see him doing this.

2) If he is the type of guy to talk with them at this point, that's a pretty scumbag move and he can hit the road. As previously mentioned, I don't see this being the case for him however.

...If [Satterfield] is the type of guy to talk with them at this point, that's a pretty scumbag move and he can hit the road...
Too much emotional attachment. As I like to say, coaches are hired guns. You're stupid to either hate or fall in love with them.

We used to have finances on par with FSU, and that's probably no longer the case. But the man needs to be paid what he's worth in the marketplace...

Last edited:
Tag gary is a rebuilding coach. He likes to take time to build up his roster/culture. WKU and USF he took a few years to build, then he left the programs in great shape.

Guys like that don’t win at big time programs. Those programs already have elite talent and don’t want to wait. It’s hard to establish a culture at a place that the program is bigger than the coach. You win now or you sink.

Taggart is a good coach. His WKU and USF teams were very strong. I bet he goes to Michigan to help revive Harbaugh’s offense next year.

Too much emotional attachment. As I like to say, coaches are hired guns. You're stupid to either hate or fall in love with them.

We used to have finances on par with FSU, and that's probably no longer the case. But the man needs to be paid what he's worth in the marketplace...

I acknowledge all of that. The Louisville job opens up every 4 years (for reasons good and bad), and if he succeeds and gets hired away my face isn't going to hit the floor or anything. But 8 games into his first season, or even after the first season ends? I don't see it. I would not even advocate getting into a bidding war if they did, to me one season is not enough data. His first recruiting class isn't even signed yet. Not enough data. To be clear, this is just IMO, but I would just let him go get that money if that is what he needs to do after 1 season.

I acknowledge all of that. The Louisville job opens up every 4 years (for reasons good and bad), and if he succeeds and gets hired away my face isn't going to hit the floor or anything. But 8 games into his first season, or even after the first season ends? I don't see it. I would not even advocate getting into a bidding war if they did, to me one season is not enough data. His first recruiting class isn't even signed yet. Not enough data. To be clear, this is just IMO, but I would just let him go get that money if that is what he needs to do after 1 season.
I'd be surprised too. But that doesn't mean he's a scumbag that we should forever despise...

Within reason, speak for yourself. I don’t agree with giving a coach 3 years or more to make something happen. I knew crapthorpe was not the right choice but we waited 2 more years to farrthatsomofabitch.

First of all, I like your style. Second, and this is a hypothetical so I can't prove it, but it may have been a lot harder to hire a coach like Charlie Strong had we farrrr'd that sonofabeyitch after year 1. It would look like the program expects to go to BCS bowls every year and ye get FARRRR'd if it doesn't. I think Jurich even said something to that effect.

FWIW...when UofL was looking for a coach last year, Norvell’s name came up and then was quickly discarded. The rumor is that he has some baggage that P5 schools don’t want.

FSU has never cared about trifles like "baggage".

Actually, per the linked Orlando Sentinel article, the problem was that Taggart IS a program builder, and that for years FSU’s culture was to shortchange academics. I know from my own research that FSU’s current APR score of 936 is at the very bottom of the FBS and if it drops below 930 they become ineligible for the postseason.

Taggart was trying to completely change that, and had a great record of building programs at WKU and USF, but the boosters and fan base got impatient and pulled the plug.

Most likely the good news on the APR front is that Taggart’s 22 months running the program was long enough to raise the APR score significantly (we’ll find out how he did for the 2018-19 academic year in May 2020), so that the new coach will be able to make some roster changes and still stay above the 930 APR minimum that’s required to play in the postseason.
I completely disagree that he is a program builder. He is a hell of a recruiter. How can you be a program builder if you leave after 2 years, 4 years and 1 year? The one thing about playing in non power 5 is you can out talent your competition and still be a average coach. Look at all the Louisville coaches that stepped up to bigger conferences. They no longer had better talent. He absolutely upgraded the rosters at Western/South Florida/Oregon.

Power 5 is a different animal. He had more talent than almost everyone on their schedule the last 2 years you couldn't tell. Talent is an important part of building a program but in Power 5 you better be a great CEO.

Reactions: zipp
I'll settle for one example to start with...

Lol, ok so maybe you’ve never used the words hate or love when going on your tyrades against our current administration, former administration, our BOT, former coaches, current/former ads, but you seem very fanatical about those things. I’m certainly not going to spend my time going through your olds posts, I’ll take your word for it you’ve never used the exact words hate or love. You win Zipp.

Lol, ok so maybe you’ve never used the words hate or love when going on your tyrades against our current administration, former administration, our BOT, former coaches, current/former ads, but you seem very fanatical about those things. I’m certainly not going to spend my time going through your olds posts, I’ll take your word for it you’ve never used the exact words hate or love. You win Zipp.
Time wouldn't matter. You won't find me anywhere close to hate or love for anyone prior to the last 2-3 years. Even K-rag and Cooper didn't rise to the level of hate.

Nor do I lose any sleep over the clowns we now have in charge. Way too often like this example, it's people bringing them up and me tearing them down. If it was hate, I couldn't post on any topic WITHOUT mentioning them. I've grown to enjoy watching them in action, although not for your reasons...

I've grown to enjoy watching them in action, although not for your reasons...

You actually get enjoyment of constantly posting about UofL’s financial situation, whether that be good or bad? Just seems like a waste of time since it’s out of your control. To each his own I guess.

Don’t assume you know me, or what i like or don’t like.

You actually get enjoyment of constantly posting about UofL’s financial situation, whether that be good or bad? Just seems like a waste of time since it’s out of your control. To each his own I guess.

Don’t assume you know me, or what i like or don’t like.
It's not up to me to "control". The first step is information. An informed populace evolves into an engaged one. And you're not getting financial info from this regime beyond what they're absolutely required to do, for obvious reasons.

Your last comment isn't a denial...

Last edited:
Can you actually spell out what I’m supposedly denying? Are you looking for a debate on my personal preferences?

edit: I’ll make it easy on you. I am a fan of UofL, I take pleasure when we win games, and displeasure when we lose. That’s truly as far as it goes. Unlike you, I don’t care as much regarding the going-ons within our administration.

Last edited:
I completely disagree that he is a program builder. He is a hell of a recruiter. How can you be a program builder if you leave after 2 years, 4 years and 1 year? The one thing about playing in non power 5 is you can out talent your competition and still be a average coach. Look at all the Louisville coaches that stepped up to bigger conferences. They no longer had better talent. He absolutely upgraded the rosters at Western/South Florida/Oregon.

Power 5 is a different animal. He had more talent than almost everyone on their schedule the last 2 years you couldn't tell. Talent is an important part of building a program but in Power 5 you better be a great CEO.

Well, he did stay at WKU 3 years, not 2. I actually thought it was 4. His teams at USF and WKU got better each year (year 3 at WKU was the same record as year 2.

By program builder, I was referring as much to the schools APR scores as I was to the improved records on the field. APRs are calculated yearly, and a school’s announced APR scores are calculated every 4 years. FSU’s APR was so low that they were in danger of missing the postseason. As a result, Taggart was limited in how much change he could make to the roster during his tenure.

...edit: I’ll make it easy on you. I am a fan of UofL, I take pleasure when we win games, and displeasure when we lose. That’s truly as far as it goes. Unlike you, I don’t care as much regarding the going-ons within our administration.
Then why do you defend them? Why do you even bother to comment?...

An informed populace evolves into an engaged one.
One would hope so, but not always. We are informed out the wazzoo in this country but our electoral turnout is routinely low. Information doesn’t always lead to engagement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT