ADVERTISEMENT

Frost is out at Nebraska

Arizona State fires Herm Edwards. That's two P5 schools being proactive. Meanwhile, Heird...
homer-ausente.gif
If Hierd did that, he wouldn’t be proactive, he’d be stupid.

Saw this quote on Twitter.

Mark Stoops’ greatest legacy will be him causing athletic directors to hold on to bad head coaches too long.

Reactions: BPGhost
Colorado has fired their coach. P5 schools continue to make moves. Meanwhile, Gomer remains.

If they let Brown go I’d be good with seeing what happens for another game or two. Brown can’t remain the DC or Satterfield needs to go now.

I we lose to UVA, we need to fire him the next day. Let Lance Taylor take over and the remaining games are essentially his interview.

Wisconsin makes no sense unless something is going on behind the scenes. His record was ridiculously good at Wisconsin.

I think the recruiting time table has changed the speed of which decisions are made. That is why I think if Louisville looks as inept against UVA on defense as they did against BC they will have to make a change. It is a buy week. There is no fixing the defense. It sucks for the players but if they lose to UVA there is not coming back from it. There isn’t enough talent on this team to overcome the defensive scheme/game plan.

CardX …… do you plan on contributing to the $5M buyout required to fire Satterfield? Not intended as a challenge, just curious as to how much fans like you are willing to support the buyout initiative with your own resources.

For those of you who thing these other Universities, who are firing their respective football coaches; you might want to take some time to research how their financial situations compare to where UL is currently.

All these other firings are not good for UofL either. If we are going to be in the market looking for a new HC we don't want a ton of stronger programs searching too.

There are going to be so many job openings.

Who are we gonna get is a legit question.

CardX …… do you plan on contributing to the $5M buyout required to fire Satterfield? Not intended as a challenge, just curious as to how much fans like you are willing to support the buyout initiative with your own resources.

For those of you who thing these other Universities, who are firing their respective football coaches; you might want to take some time to research how their financial situations compare to where UL is currently.
$5M isn’t a lot of money when we are talking a multi billion dollar industry. Plus, buyouts aren’t paid in one lump sum. They are paid over time. That eases the financial “burden.”
I won’t contribute to his dismissal, but I will withdraw all financial support if he stays.

Reactions: BPGhost
It might be wise to let Satt coach one more year before replacing him.
1. Keeps this recruiting class together
2. Gives the AD more time to find a replacement
3. gives the University time to gather funds for a buyout
4. young coaches/coordinators might emerge who would be a great fit for the job

Reactions: 2330859
WTF?

He had his chance. He stuck with Brown. He needed retool the defensive side of the ball. He didn’t.

He needed to make adjustment to his passing game he didn’t.

I was pro Satterfield but this year was a must win year. They have failed and looked awful on defense in conference games.

I thought he would of really self evaluate in year 4 but despite bringing Lance Taylor and McGriff he made no system change. That tells me he is married to his system and won’t adjust.

It would be unwise to keep him. We are talking year 4 here. He's had more time than usual.

He had his chance. He stuck with Brown. He needed retool the defensive side of the ball. He didn’t.

He needed to make adjustment to his passing game he didn’t.

I was pro Satterfield but this year was a must win year. They have failed and looked awful on defense in conference games.

I thought he would of really self evaluate in year 4 but despite bringing Lance Taylor and McGriff he made no system change. That tells me he is married to his system and won’t adjust.
My thoughts exactly! Giving this staff one more year would be nothing short of asinine!!!

Dislike

Wisconsin makes no sense unless something is going on behind the scenes. His record was ridiculously good at Wisconsin.

I think the recruiting time table has changed the speed of which decisions are made. That is why I think if Louisville looks as inept against UVA on defense as they did against BC they will have to make a change. It is a buy week. There is no fixing the defense. It sucks for the players but if they lose to UVA there is not coming back from it. There isn’t enough talent on this team to overcome the defensive scheme/game plan.

They fired Chryst for 2 reasons:

1) they have gotten kind of stale
2) their DC is Jim Leonard. He’s an alum of Wisky and also happens to be one of the most coveted assistants (soon to be HC) in college football. So Wisky would rather roll with Leonard than Chryst. Firing Chryst now allows Leonard a tryout in taking over the reigns. I guarantee he will be recruiting based on the premise that he will get the full time gig. In fact, I’d imagine after he gets a win they will announce that he will become permanent head coach.

They fired Chryst for 2 reasons:

1) they have gotten kind of stale
2) their DC is Jim Leonard. He’s an alum of Wisky and also happens to be one of the most coveted assistants (soon to be HC) in college football. So Wisky would rather roll with Leonard than Chryst. Firing Chryst now allows Leonard a tryout in taking over the reigns. I guarantee he will be recruiting based on the premise that he will get the full time gig. In fact, I’d imagine after he gets a win they will announce that he will become permanent head coach.
They have to pay Chryst 11million to give Leonard a tryout!

I guess they believe the defense won all those games. Wisconsin has always had an identity run oriented offense with a really good defense. It works but doesn’t mean it works every year.

Hard to replace a winning coach. It will be very interesting to see where he ends up. Someone is going to take a look at him.

Not much fiscal responsibility in college athletics. Bottom line is that they don’t want Leonard to leave.
It must be nice to be paid 11 million to be let go from a job knowing that you that you did your job well. Then are going to be hired somewhere who’ll appreciate you and sign another multi million dollar contract

I guess they believe the defense won all those games. Wisconsin has always had an identity run oriented offense with a really good defense. It works but doesn’t mean it works every year.

Hard to replace a winning coach. It will be very interesting to see where he ends up. Someone is going to take a look at him.
He’d be one of the first coaches I’d contact if I were a AD

It must be nice to be paid 11 million to be let go from a job knowing that you that you did your job well. Then are going to be hired somewhere who’ll appreciate you and sign another multi million dollar contract
Former head football coach is one of the best professions around

Former head football coach is one of the best professions around
Honestly, if I was confident in our obtaining a HC and staff to replace Satterfield, providing a reasonable degree of assurance for improvement and success of UL football here …….. I would reverse my often stated support of Satterfield Immediately.

Right now, I have not seen any evidence that such a candidate has even been identified, much less interviewed. The way it normally works, our AD (or someone with credibility within UL) reaches out to the agent representing the perspective coach to begin discussion, as that generally insures the level of confidentiality that both sides prefer.

For those who have been adamant about Jeff Brohm being their selection ……. If there is any validity to that option, I suspect that process has already been initiated. While local media and those in social media will speculate all over the place, it will require someone within UL Administration to makes a statement before we will ever know.

I am not trying to defend my long held position to remain “status quo”, rather I cannot believe that making a coaching change is a responsible action in the absence of having a viable candidate identified that truly has a resume that meets those expectations.

I agree with your position but PC wouldn’t be a good fit here. His offenses have been run based with average QB play. I think they are changing because their defense has been the key to their success. Leonard can find on OC. His defense will still be great.

I am more on the lines of Freeze, O’Brien, or Fickell. Proven HC experience that built power 5 programs. All very unlikely. Which comes to your point the options aren’t great.

I still think Satterfield can be a really good coach but he really screwed up believing in Brown. He doesn’t know how to call games and it is clear. Satterfield failed to make the tough call.

I think I would prefer a defensive guy next time. Defense is really hard to build. There aren’t many great DC out there.

$5M isn’t a lot of money when we are talking a multi billion dollar industry. Plus, buyouts aren’t paid in one lump sum. They are paid over time. That eases the financial “burden.”
I won’t contribute to his dismissal, but I will withdraw all financial support if he stays.
We are still paying Bobby and Jurich. The anchor around our necks that is Bobby Petrino ends after this year. We need that cash for operations. Now you want to pay Satt over several years. We can’t recover financially this way. As regards support, that is of course up to you. But anything you give beyond the ticket price one assumes is derived from your love of UofL. Does that change according to the won-lost record?

We are still paying Bobby and Jurich. The anchor around our necks that is Bobby Petrino ends after this year. We need that cash for operations. Now you want to pay Satt over several years. We can’t recover financially this way. As regards support, that is of course up to you. But anything you give beyond the ticket price one assumes is derived from your love of UofL. Does that change according to the won-lost record?
The challenge in a coaching change is there is no guarantee the next coach will be better or it will excite the fanbase. You end up chasing your tail. Money keeps going out but doesn’t come in.

You have to think that way right now. I am not oppose to extending him and firing the DC. With a major caveat no buyout clause for either party in year 1-2 of extension. Fans won’t like it but financially it make sense. With that said it would depend on if Heird could find a home run hire.

I do concur that Brian Brown needs to go. Defense has been pathetic. But to say he should go and Satt can stay does just doesn’t make sense to me. Brown isn’t the man in charge. Since Satt’s been here we have seen the same issues year after year. No player development, no reliable QB backup, a playbook that must be written on the back of a Denny’s napkin, poor play calling and poor in-game decisions have cost us dearly. Add to this, the resistance to change and the inability to make adjustments and you give your team little chance for success.
The cake has baked. The proof is in the pudding. Satterfield’s time is up.

Heird could easily secure $5M from big time donors; Junior, Dr. Lynn, Blue, etc.. Paying Satt's buyout won't be an issue.

Maybe it is that easy but I don’t they are paying to just get rid of Satterfield. I would want to know the next head coach. It better be tangibly not conceptually better. I am all in for that scenario.

I think he has to go as well but if there are no home run hire the only way he stays is Brown is gone and buyout is zero. The class is mostly on the offensive side. A legit DC with his offense would work. His system nor any offensive coach works with a terrible defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT