ADVERTISEMENT

For the Mack haters

Well I gotta say that I was behind David Padgett 100% but then his team lost to uahkay by 29 points and it wasn’t that close. I’m still appreciative of the job he did but he didn’t deserve the full time gig.
So it wasn’t him never being a coach ever that lost you, it was losing to UK that caused you to not be behind him?

So it wasn’t him never being a coach ever that lost you, it was losing to UK that caused you to not be behind him?

Yep. He proved in that game alone that he didn’t have any idea of how to be a head coach. So there. Did you even read the rest of that post? Apparently you didn’t.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

As far as supporting Mack goes, I agree with a lot of what gocds said... Basically I think we should support Mack unless there are scandals, and until the NCAA cloud that's hanging over our program is resolved or if things get really bad where we're losing 15-20 games a year. I really don't want to have to change coaches again until we're completely clear of whatever the NCAA is going to do to us.

Maybe it’s how you said it but I think it’s odd for you or any fan to put their support at this point in the season at less than 100%. Does your support change from game to game depending on if we win or lose? Sounds like you’re trying to cover your bases. Try going all in until the season is over. Or you might get Zipp to plot you out a graph of your support percentage?

You're busting my balls over 10%? Plus, I mentioned my support increased after visiting practice. Someone needs a Snicker bar.

Reactions: gocds
After Padgett’s season, we lost all of those players (Q, Spalding, Adel), and didn’t bring in a single recruit because it was too late in the game. Mack inherited a team last year with significantly less talent than Padgett’s.

We had to rely on the GT market last year, and have our best remaining players return plus stellar recruiting class to have a squad talented enough to compete for the ACC title. Which as the OP pointed out, was not done by either of Mack’s predecessors.

Gotta give credit where it’s due. DJ, Fresh, and Williamson are valuable to this team and the players that were already here when Mack got here have all shown improvement (Nwora, McMahon, Sutton, Williams).

Don’t bother arguing with Zipp. He is always right and anyone who offers a different opinion is wrong. The only thing I ever see that he has in concert with most UofL fans is his dislike for UofKkk. Other than that he may very well be Jerry Eaves in how much he dislikes UofL

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Don’t bother arguing with Zipp. He is always right and anyone who offers a different opinion is wrong. The only thing I ever see that he has in concert with most UofL fans is his dislike for UofKkk. Other than that he may very well be Jerry Eaves in how much he dislikes UofL
Always good to engage in debate. Zipp usually keeps things civil which is good, even if it appears you’re arguing with a stone wall sometimes :p. He’s very strong willed and cares about U of L or he would have left long ago. I’d say the very good times we had under jurich really led to a little bit of an immortality factor. Everyone was shocked when he got the boot. Zipp still hasn’t processed it.

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
In Zipp's defense, I remember one time we were debating about whether UofL should play UK in BB. I made a point that playing UK helps us because we get to basically play a G-League team once a year which helps us determine our weaknesses to work on. Also they will always have NBA talent under Cal so we don't have to worry about scheduling 3 or more games against P5 just to make sure we have one solid game for our NCAA resume. I believe Zipp said I had an interesting point though he eventually rejected my argument, haha.

On its surface, the 2009-10 season will always appear to be one of the more forgettable campaigns during Rick Pitino’s tenure at Louisville.

The Cardinals were coming off back-to-back regional final appearances, and the season before had won both the Big East’s regular season and tournament championships, earning the NCAA Tournament’s No. 1 overall seed as a result. Nothing came as easily for the 2009-10 group, which successfully balanced impressive victories with head-scratching defeats for four months before squeaking into the Big Dance as a No. 9 seed. When the draw was unveiled, U of L was immediately labeled as a trendy pick to upset top-seeded Duke in the second round. In keeping with the theme of the season, the Cardinals promptly laid an egg in their opening game, where they were eliminated by California via a 77-62 defeat.

The reality is that when any Louisville fan thinks about the 2009-10 season, they’re not going to immediately remember the NCAA Tournament loss or U of L’s equally lackluster one and out performance in the Big East Tournament.

On its surface, the 2009-10 season will always appear to be one of the more forgettable campaigns during Rick Pitino’s tenure at Louisville.

The Cardinals were coming off back-to-back regional final appearances, and the season before had won both the Big East’s regular season and tournament championships, earning the NCAA Tournament’s No. 1 overall seed as a result. Nothing came as easily for the 2009-10 group, which successfully balanced impressive victories with head-scratching defeats for four months before squeaking into the Big Dance as a No. 9 seed. When the draw was unveiled, U of L was immediately labeled as a trendy pick to upset top-seeded Duke in the second round. In keeping with the theme of the season, the Cardinals promptly laid an egg in their opening game, where they were eliminated by California via a 77-62 defeat.

The reality is that when any Louisville fan thinks about the 2009-10 season, they’re not going to immediately remember the NCAA Tournament loss or U of L’s equally lackluster one and out performance in the Big East Tournament.
When you think 2010, there’s only one thing you should think about or you ain’t a real Card.

Freedom Hall and beating down #1 Cuse

Always good to engage in debate. Zipp usually keeps things civil which is good, even if it appears you’re arguing with a stone wall sometimes :p. He’s very strong willed and cares about U of L or he would have left long ago. I’d say the very good times we had under jurich really led to a little bit of an immortality factor. Everyone was shocked when he got the boot. Zipp still hasn’t processed it.
Most of my debates are with posters who think they have the explanation for something. Generally, my position is no you don't nor do I with any conclusiveness.

I'm simply knowledgeable and unbiased enough to recognize that fact...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Most of my debates are with posters who think they have the explanation for something. Generally, my position is no you don't nor do I with any conclusiveness.

I'm simply knowledgeable and unbiased enough to recognize that fact...

believe it or not I actually respect this response. Most of the time I debate with you it’s over assumptions, but i do think that some of your arguments against the new regime are unfounded as of yet.

Reactions: zipp
...but i do think that some of your arguments against the new regime are unfounded as of yet.
That's possible, and we'll see. But to elaborate...

I have no problem when someone says "it's my opinion that..." Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it. Too many times, however, statements here are not prefaced as opinions.

For example, "we need more talent on defense" re. the football team. That's not necessarily an explanation for our troubles on defense last year. What team isn't usually better with better players? But no one knows conclusively that we have good coaching on defense.

And when something like that is suggested, I'm a hater hoping for failure. That inspires me to counter with "clown show apologist", and the debate deteriorates from there.

It's the usual, general script, only the subject changes...

That's possible, and we'll see. But to elaborate...

I have no problem when someone says "it's my opinion that..." Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it. Too many times, however, statements here are not prefaced as opinions.

For example, "we need more talent on defense" re. the football team. That's not necessarily an explanation for our troubles on defense last year. What team isn't usually better with better players? But no one knows conclusively that we have good coaching on defense.

And when something like that is suggested, I'm a hater hoping for failure. That inspires me to counter with "clown show apologist", and the debate deteriorates from there.

It's the usual, general script, only the subject changes...

I can’t say for certain that we have good coaching on defense here, yet, but I’m a hell of a lot more confident in Bryan Brown and Satterfield, than I am in Mack & Co. App St was ranked top 5 in total defense when they were there and I think Brown is a future star. I’m excited to see how much they improve this year, and where we’re at 2-3 years from now.

I can’t say for certain that we have good coaching on defense here, yet, but I’m a hell of a lot more confident in Bryan Brown and Satterfield, than I am in Mack & Co. App St was ranked top 5 in total defense when they were there and I think Brown is a future star. I’m excited to see how much they improve this year, and where we’re at 2-3 years from now.
Chris Mack and company had a #1 seed and made an elite 8 in his last 2 years at Xavier. App State was ranked and did good in bowl games, but Mack’s pre-UofL success is way above Satterfield’s.

Chris Mack and company had a #1 seed and made an elite 8 in his last 2 years at Xavier. App State was ranked and did good in bowl games, but Mack’s pre-UofL success is way above Satterfield’s.

Sorry, but not buying that at all. When Satt got into big games, he won them. Mack, not so much yet.

I'm all about commending coaches for their postseason results esp. over a period of time. But one Elite Eight is not exactly a HOF accomplishment. Since 2015, the following coaches have made one--and a couple, more than one...

Dana Altman
Mike Bray
Leonard Hamilton
Lon Kruger
Frank Martin
Porter Moser
Matt Painter
Bruce Pearl
Mike White

And I don't recall any of these guys getting serious discussion as the U of L coach in 2018...

I'm all about commending coaches for their postseason results esp. over a period of time. But one Elite Eight is not exactly a HOF accomplishment. Since 2015, the following coaches have made one--and a couple, more than one...

Dana Altman
Mike Bray
Leonard Hamilton
Lon Kruger
Frank Martin
Porter Moser
Matt Painter
Bruce Pearl
Mike White

And I don't recall any of these guys getting serious discussion as the U of L coach in 2018...

I don’t see a single guy on your list that would have been more attractive and a better fit for UL than Mack. You also have to take into consideration their ages and their ties to their current positions. Would they want to walk away from what they have to a job at school still facing NCAA sanctions?

I don’t see a single guy on your list that would have been more attractive and a better fit for UL than Mack...
On what other basis? You just like him personally or because he's only 50, or you like the pack line defense?

I was actually responding to Lefors who was making a big deal outta his Elite Eight. As the list shows, it is not a big deal...

On what other basis? You just like him personally or because he's only 50, or you like the pack line defense?

I was actually responding to Lefors who was making a big deal outta his Elite Eight. As the list shows, it is not a big deal...
If he makes an Elite Eight this year I assure you it's going to be a big deal..

If he makes an Elite Eight this year I assure you it's going to be a big deal..

Yes, I could celebrate an Elite 8 this year and patiently wait for a Final Four in the next couple years. Half full type and faithful.

This is my last comment about Mack. One thing i keep hearing on every radio show national BB writer's or commentator 's that have been questioned about CCM. They all are saying what the hell is wrong with these Louisville fans? That Mack is one helluva coach not one has said the dude could not coach. So all you that don't like him be careful what you wish for. Yes everybody is entitled too their own opinion. However it 's best be wise to realize good and bad and we do not have bad.

I had no idea we had fans who hated our coach. He hasn't been here long enough to garner those feelings. Got to give the guy a fair shake before judging his work. I think so far he's done a pretty good job considering. Not sure what more people are looking for.
I’ve got a Louisville Magazine from this fall where Mack said he had high expectations and he expected the fans to think big too! Doesn’t mean I hate him to question him. I’m a Card follower, just not a blind one!

An Elite Eight this season is not a big deal. It’s a good year, one game short of great.

And as the list shows, it wouldn’t make Mack a great coach. String up a few of those sprinkled around a Final Four, we can have that discussion...

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
Some criticism of Mack isn’t unwarranted, but let’s not forget Pitino’s first weekend losses and NIT season in his FIFTH season.

Some criticism of Mack isn’t unwarranted, but let’s not forget Pitino’s first weekend losses and NIT season in his FIFTH season.
The Master had a NC and multiple Final Fours before he coached his first U of L game. And a U of L Final Four the year BEFORE the season you're citing...

Last edited:
Reactions: swurv99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT