ADVERTISEMENT

? For Cat Fans

I just don't think Stoops is a good head coach. I think this might be his final year.
You're right, but he will need to have a pretty miserable year to lose his job...

< 2 wins: Pink slip.
2-3 wins: Stupes gets another year, but Brainfart distances himself.
4-5 wins: No deadline given, and Brainfart proclaims his support.
> 5 wins: Another new contract and raise.

Remember, they have a pretty low bar in football.

LPT Football: It's about this far off the ground...

The fact of the matter is that in the preseason prediction poll on this board, 8-4 was the most selected projection, followed by 9-3. I think most on here predicted pretty accurately,

Indeed. That poster you responded to is my favorite type of UK fan - the type that just makes something up.

When I read UK fans' predictions, I can't help but come to the conclusion that for the past (how many?) years, Barnhart has hired lazy/inept head coaches who has in turn hired lazy/inept assistant coaches who have failed to get the team in shape and ready to play. I guess Barnhart, like the blind pig, has luckily stumbled upon a hire in Stoops who is not lazy or inept, except that he had hired an inept offensive coordinator in Brown who is now gone, thank goodness, and Stoops has now hired an OC in Dawson who is not lazy or inept. So watch out for the Cats in 2015.

I expect at this time next year, we will hear how the 2015 team wasn't in shape or prepared and had no chemistry, and that the 2016 team is finally in shape and ready to play (really, they really are, I've seen them) and take on the SEC.

...Barnhart, like the blind pig, has luckily stumbled upon a hire in Stoops who is not lazy or inept, except that he had hired an inept offensive coordinator in Brown who is now gone, thank goodness, and Stoops has now hired an OC in Dawson who is not lazy or inept. So watch out for the Cats in 2015...
Then maybe you can explain why Troy, a school with more football tradition than LPT, would hire Brown as their head coach?...

As a matter of fact, statistically, LPT has been better on offense under Stupes than on defense. That doesn't speak too well for YOUR head coach, but it suggests that Troy may be OK with Brown.

LPT Football: Like usual, we got rid of the wrong guy...

Last edited:
I just don't think Stoops is a good head coach. I think this might be his final year.

If UK has a 5 or less win season this year, Stoops will be back. If there's one thing I've learned from watching the UK program over the past few decades, it's that they always keep bad coaches longer than they should.

I wouldn't talk smack here as a visitor but I don't in my day to day life either when it comes to football. At least I haven't for the last couple years. Joker legitimately drove our program further into the ground than Kragthorpe did yours. EKU and WKU were better than us in Joker's final season. I understand UL fans' confidence against UK but I think it's overstated

Stoops won't show up on any top coaches lists until he proves it on the field (as it should be). I don't expect UL fans to conceed the rivalry to us or anything but it does amuse me how far beneath the Cards some think UK is this year. Can you really question Stoops' pedigree or leadership to this point? The Stoops brothers are some of the most respected defensive minds in the college game. Do you think a change of venue made Stoops forget how to coach? In only two seasons we've had programs (Michigan, Alabama, Troy, Georgia, LSU) trying to poach our assistants. The win total more than doubled in year two. Through the struggles of the season the staff has managed to bring in historic recruiting classes winning battles against HOF coaches and championship caliber programs. Stoops raised funds to bring about more infrastructural updates in 2 years than any coach in the history of the program. Stoops brought in a cutting edge strength program that NFL and MLS teams are aspiring to. He brought in dietitians, sports psychologists, a director of recruiting, and built an entire complex/staff for indentifying recruits and organizing the recruit database. Some of this the top programs have been doing for years but UK sure didn't. Stoops has UK operating like a football power.

Stoops tenure (just as an coach) will require some lucky breaks. Good coaches aren't above failure there are things that are beyond their control. Stoops has handled all of the factors within his control about as well as possible and exceeded many expectations for any coach stepping into a situation like he did at UK (one of the toughest jobs in the country).

Some UL fans will acknowledge the job Stoops is doing and see the improvement in the roster and the development of individual players. Others are stuck in the mindset that UK will always be UK. The rise of UL as a football program forced UK to raise its expectations and commitment just as I think Cal coming to UK lit a fire under Pitino. UL fans should welcome the competition. I'm probably being unreasonable thinking a poster like Zipp is capable of tipping his hat to the hated rival

I do wonder though what the thinking will be if UK and Stoops do the unthinkable and pull out a victory in the Governors Cup. It makes more sense to respect your opponent than to liken them to a Division ll school. If they find a way to beat you you'll have to explain how it happened

Last edited:
Reactions: redleg27
I wouldn't talk smack here as a visitor but I don't in my day to day life either when it comes to football. At least I haven't for the last couple years. Joker legitimately drove our program further into the ground than Kragthorpe did yours. EKU and WKU were better than us in Joker's final season. I understand UL fans' confidence against UK but I think it's overstated

Stoops won't show up on any top coaches lists until he proves it on the field (as it should be). I don't expect UL fans to conceed the rivalry to us or anything but it does amuse me how far beneath the Cards some think UK is this year. Can you really question Stoops' pedigree or leadership to this point? The Stoops brothers are some of the most respected defensive minds in the college game. Do you think a change of venue made Stoops forget how to coach? In only two seasons we've had programs (Michigan, Alabama, Troy, Georgia, LSU) trying to poach our assistants. The win total more than doubled in year two. Through the struggles of the season the staff has managed to bring in historic recruiting classes winning battles against HOF coaches and championship caliber programs. Stoops raised funds to bring about more infrastructural updates in 2 years than any coach in the history of the program. Stoops brought in a cutting edge strength program that NFL and MLS teams are aspiring to. He brought in dietitians, sports psychologists, a director of recruiting, and built an entire complex/staff for indentifying recruits and organizing the recruit database. Some of this the top programs have been doing for years but UK sure didn't. Stoops has UK operating like a football power.

Stoops tenure (just as an coach) will require some lucky breaks. Good coaches aren't above failure there are things that are beyond their control. Stoops has handled all of the factors within his control about as well as possible and exceeded many expectations for any coach stepping into a situation like he did at UK (one of the toughest jobs in the country).

Some UL fans will acknowledge the job Stoops is doing and see the improvement in the roster and the development of individual players. Others are stuck in the mindset that UK will always be UK. The rise of UL as a football program forced UK to raise its expectations and commitment just as I think Cal coming to UK lit a fire under Pitino. UL fans should welcome the competition. I'm probably being unreasonable thinking a poster like Zipp is capable of tipping his hat to the hated rival

I do wonder though what the thinking will be if UK and Stoops do the unthinkable and pull out a victory in the Governors Cup. It makes more sense to respect your opponent than to liken them to a Division ll school. If they find a way to beat you you'll have to explain how it happened

The problem with pretty much any message board rival debate is that you are typically reading and responding to, the "fanatical" segment of any fan base. UK fans are going to see the potential in their team and season, and your rival is going to see the weaknesses and possible pitfalls. Until the current trends DO change (one game does not a trend make BTW), UofL fans aren't going to see the same potential you do in your team. But, one UK win will cause some UofL fans take them more seriously. I keep reading the thought process on The Lair that that UK is trending upwards due to recruiting, and UofL is trending downward due to NFL Draft losses. Bottom line, until the wins come on the field, it's unrealized potential.

Also, It's not going to be the "unthinkable" if UK were to win this year. Rivalry games are often won or lost by critical turnovers. Last year's game was great example of that. UK should have won the game with the number of UofL turnovers that resulted in UK points.

Two of UK's last three recruiting classes were solid but still at the bottom of the SEC and not light years ahead of UofL's. I'll take Bobby Petrino, baggage and all every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Stoops. And the remark about all of your dietitians, psychologists and recruiting coordinator is laughable. All major programs including UofL do the same thing. It's about time UK joined the club. It's laughable to read UK fans remarks about UK trending upward while UofL is trending downward. UK has had no where else to go but up. Keep the dream alive, Bigger, Stronger, Faster and now more mentally ready! Can't wait to see the billboards this summer.

Last edited:
The problem with pretty much any message board rival debate is that you are typically reading and responding to, the "fanatical" segment of any fan base. UK fans are going to see the potential in their team and season, and your rival is going to see the weaknesses and possible pitfalls. Until the current trends DO change (one game does not a trend make BTW), UofL fans aren't going to see the same potential you do in your team. But, one UK win will cause some UofL fans take them more seriously. I keep reading the thought process on The Lair that that UK is trending upwards due to recruiting, and UofL is trending downward due to NFL Draft losses. Bottom line, until the wins come on the field, it's unrealized potential.

I think it goes beyond that. I don't think any football fans of other schools are anticipating the emergence of UK football. And wait until the football pre-season reports come out, every analyst in the country will have UK finishing ahead of only Vandy in the SEC East. It's more like "UK fans and a few very optimistic SEC wonks against the world."

Two of UK's last three recruiting classes were solid but still at the bottom of the SEC and not light years ahead of UofL's. I'll take Bobby Petrino, baggage and all every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Stoops. And the remark about all of your dietitians, psychologists and recruiting coordinator is laughable. All major programs including UofL do the same thing. It's about time UK joined the club. It's laughable to read UK fans remarks about UK trending upward while UofL is trending downward. UK has had no where else to go but up. Keep the dream alive, Bigger, Stronger, Faster and know more mentally ready! Can't wait to see the billboards this summer.

I would say that the class ranked 17th in 2014 is a pretty impressive class. While not light years ahead of UofL, it is 23 spots ahead. That puts UK closer in the rankings to any other SEC program than UofL is to UK. Also, using Rivals average star ranking UK's class is .5 better than UofL's, putting them closer in that metric to any class ahead of theirs(except Bama) than UofL is to UK.

And what you said about dietitians, psychologists, and recruiting coordinator is true. It is time UK joined the club. However, the High Performance program ran by Korem at UK is one of the few of it's kind in college football.

I would say that the class ranked 17th in 2014 is a pretty impressive class. While not light years ahead of UofL, it is 23 spots ahead. That puts UK closer in the rankings to any other SEC program than UofL is to UK. Also, using Rivals average star ranking UK's class is .5 better than UofL's, putting them closer in that metric to any class ahead of theirs(except Bama) than UofL is to UK.

And what you said about dietitians, psychologists, and recruiting coordinator is true. It is time UK joined the club. However, the High Performance program ran by Korem at UK is one of the few of it's kind in college football.

Recruiting Rankings are nice but not the end all be all....said this on the Lair and I say it here...the past two years Louisville has had 14 Players Draft by the National Football League with 4 of those players being 1st Round Picks...out of those 14 Players only Teddy Bridgewater, Gerald Christian and Gerod Holliman were 4* Players and the rest like DeVante Parker were 3* Players.

Talent Evaluation and Player Development are just as if not more important then HS Recruiting Rankings...during the last Four Years the Highest Ranked Class was 29th in the Nation.

Reactions: mwatson61
Recruiting Rankings are nice but not the end all be all....said this on the Lair and I say it here...the past two years Louisville has had 14 Players Draft by the National Football League with 4 of those players being 1st Round Picks...out of those 14 Players only Teddy Bridgewater, Gerald Christian and Gerod Holliman were 4* Players and the rest like DeVante Parker were 3* Players.

Talent Evaluation and Player Development are just as if not more important then HS Recruiting Rankings...during the last Four Years the Highest Ranked Class was 29th in the Nation.

Dom Brown was a 4 star, but your point stands, though I wasn't arguing against that line of thought. I was just replying to a post about UK's recruiting.

The jury is still out on Stoops as a developer of talent as a HC, but he has had great success developing players as a DB coach and a DC. He has also proven to have a good eye for talent with the guys he's gotten in on early that have blown up later in the recruiting cycle. He benefited it greatly with the 2014 class, though his eye for talent was used against him late in the cycle last year when some of his better guys were poached from him right before signing day.

Dom Brown was a 4 star, but your point stands, though I wasn't arguing against that line of thought. I was just replying to a post about UK's recruiting.

The jury is still out on Stoops as a developer of talent as a HC, but he has had great success developing players as a DB coach and a DC. He has also proven to have a good eye for talent with the guys he's gotten in on early that have blown up later in the recruiting cycle. He benefited it greatly with the 2014 class, though his eye for talent was used against him late in the cycle last year when some of his better guys were poached from him right before signing day.

Dom Brown wasn't drafted...as for CMS this is a Make or Break Year for him and JMO your schedule is Brutal again.

Dom Brown wasn't drafted...as for CMS this is a Make or Break Year for him and JMO your schedule is Brutal again.

My apologies. The article I was referencing was players invited was Louisville players getting NFL combine invitations, not drafted lol.

I somewhat agree with you. The general consensus of those I'm around is that he has to win at least five, and be competitive in every game. UK will be a talented team with depth, but they'll be very young. The schedule is going to be brutal, as it is every year, with even the season opener being a tough game.

IMO, he needs six wins for me to feel confident in his ability as a HC.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
My apologies. The article I was referencing was players invited was Louisville players getting NFL combine invitations, not drafted lol.

I somewhat agree with you. The general consensus of those I'm around is that he has to win at least five, and be competitive in every game. UK will be a talented team with depth, but they'll be very young. The schedule is going to be brutal, as it is every year, with even the season opener being a tough game.

Unlike most on this board I will admit that Kentucky has greatly increased it level of Football Talent...i see 4 sure wins and you're going to have to get 2 more upsets-(and yes as of right now Louisville would be considered a upset) even though I can see the Wildcats beating us.

My apologies. The article I was referencing was Louisville players getting NFL combine invitations, not drafted lol.

Don"t give the word savant to Jauk. It conveys one who is a philosopher or sage! G@d only knows Jauk is a jerk and a joke and should be rolled into a joint. To all my UaKy friends, all this garbage about recruiting and coaching are just losing talking points. I'm asking you, UaKay, just PREDICT the score of the next UL vrs UK foootball game.! PERIOD!

I hesitate to go against the grain, but I do think UK will be better this year. Third year for Stoops, three solid recruiting classes, more experience, more talent, more depth. If they can improve the secondary, they should be quite a bit better overall. In addition, they have a more favorable schedule, with eight home games and with Florida, SC, and Vandy taking a big step backwards last year. They could well be bowl eligible when we play, and if we lose a few of our early season games, they might even be favored going into the game. Then again, if they don't shore up the defense, or if they have key injuries, or if the SEC East toughens up, the wheels could come off for the Cats. Either way, after the crap they pulled at PJCS, CBP is going to embarrass them at CWS this year. Go Cards!

Recruiting rankings don't take into account a lot of things, like transfers. There are high impact, top flight transfers all over the country.

Sure it's in a program's best interest to have as high of a recruiting class ranking as possible.

The only thing that really matters is what teams win and lose games, and what bowl a team gets invited too.

LPT has to look for all sorts of non-quantifiable, feel-good indicators of performance because the actual, relevant indicators are missing. And it's that way every year.

When their idiot fans ever rise up and say "show me", sanity may prevail for a brief instant in slapd!ck nation. Until then, it's just more programming on Comedy Central.

LPT Football: If you don't laugh, you'd cry...

LPT has to look for all sorts of non-quantifiable, feel-good indicators of performance because the actual, relevant indicators are missing. And it's that way every year.

When their idiot fans ever rise up and say "show me", sanity may prevail for a brief instant in slapd!ck nation. Until then, it's just more programming on Comedy Central.

LPT Football: If you don't laugh, you'd cry...

After hearing all of the "hype" last Spring, I poured over the Box Scores for Stoops' and Joker's tenures. I could not really find anything that would lead one to believe that improvement was at hand.

I could not see anything from last season that would suggest change was occurring. Depth on a roster just says "we have depth" nothing else.

Stats don't lie, they just report what you have done.

Stoops biggest game of his HC stint at UK comes against ULL. The next game will then be the biggest and so on. If Stoops does not get to a bowl game this year, the recruiting will be the first casualty. Young quality players will be the next to move on to other schools.

CARD fans have seen and experienced the upward climb. We know what it looks like, and frankly I just don't see it at UK.

Kentucky talent is better BUT not sure about the coaching and again that schedule whether they want to admit it or not is Brutal...keep seeing Missouri, Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina and of course us as "Wins" in their predictions...sorry to tell them they are underdogs in everyone of those games including at CWS against us.

Reactions: Mayoman
Ever since Mizzou joined the SEC they've counted them as a win. . . not sure why. They haven't come remotely close yet.

That and every year when Louisville loses this or that player how we are going to fall off...it is a annual ritual.

I stopped by their board and read one post where they have now started to turn on "Paw Paw Brooks". They have gone from him being the anointed one who should have his name on all things UK Football to he failed to get it done like Stoops is doing.

Stoops is in trouble if they don't pass the eye test early on. I keep saying that ULL game is very important to Stoops. Loose or appear to struggle and basketball season can't start soon enough.

Without knowing who will be injured or how the season will play out for either team leading up to the Governor's Cup I'd say the game is a toss up on a neutral field. There isn't a position group on offense that I'd trade with UL. I'd take our secondary but UL's DL and LBs are more proven. Games aren't won on paper but I like our chances. I'd guess it's a 3 point spread either way. I think UK will be able to hold up its end of the rivalry going forward under Stoops

Without knowing who will be injured or how the season will play out for either team leading up to the Governor's Cup I'd say the game is a toss up on a neutral field. There isn't a position group on offense that I'd trade with UL. I'd take our secondary but UL's DL and LBs are more proven. Games aren't won on paper but I like our chances. I'd guess it's a 3 point spread either way. I think UK will be able to hold up its end of the rivalry going forward under Stoops

The difference is on Offense Kentucky is breaking in a New Offensive Cordinatore...Louisville is in it 2nd Year with Bob Petrino...no matter what you think of him as a person...Petrino on Offense especially at the College Level is Considered ELITE

Kentucky lost the two best players off what was a terrible defensive unit. Louisville returns one of the best front sevens in the country, and adds three high value transfers on defense. Only someone with thick blue goggles would not trade away the UK defense for Louisville's. If the Cards offense can control the ball better than last year, this defense will be elite, and Kentucky will be in big trouble.

The teams you see on week one will not be the same teams you see on week 12. There are numerous question marks for both teams and improvement will be made on both sides with injuries playing a roll. This is impossible to make a pick at this time

...Games aren't won on paper but I like our chances. I'd guess it's a 3 point spread either way. I think UK will be able to hold up its end of the rivalry going forward under Stoops
In a word, "delusional".

LPT Football: It's a fanbase prerequisite...

Bad as i hate to say this zipp you are right all that matters is wins and until the cats can put W on the cards Kentucky fans should keep their mouth shut ......Go Cats!!!

Reactions: The Public Enemy

o_Oo_O

Our (UK's) secondary is TERRIBLE. Probably our weakest unit on offense or defense. Not sure where you're getting that.

I would choose Towles over whomever UL winds up starting (reasonable minds could certainly disagree), I think the RBs are similar (I'd pick ours but I bet most UofL fans wouldn't), I think the WRs are similar (ditto what I said for RB), and I'd definitely take our O line (O line is UL's weakest unit on either side of the ball, and looks potentially to be worse this year than last).

Hard to argue taking any of our defensive units over UL's, personnel wise. We'll see if the Grantham effect as predicted by some of the UGa folks comes to be.

Reactions: Mayoman
o_Oo_O

Hard to argue taking any of our defensive units over UL's, personnel wise. We'll see if the Grantham effect as predicted by some of the UGa folks comes to be.

GrumpyOldDawg definitely has an axe to grind on Grantham. He peddled all his feelings here when we hired Grantham. He quit showing up throughout the season when the defense was playing very well. But then he DID pop in after the UofL vs UGA bowl game.

Much more difficult to predict this game and compare units during the summer when it's the last game on each schedule - as others have pointed out.

Kentucky lost the two best players off what was a terrible defensive unit. Louisville returns one of the best front sevens in the country, and adds three high value transfers on defense. Only someone with thick blue goggles would not trade away the UK defense for Louisville's. If the Cards offense can control the ball better than last year, this defense will be elite, and Kentucky will be in big trouble.

I said UL has the better front seven in my post.. I wouldn't wholesale trade defenses because I do like our secondary more. Our corners have been lacking but with all of the depth we've built at safety and nickel we've moved guys that've played very well in the middle to the outside. I think that's going to make a pretty big difference and should help the defensive line

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT