ADVERTISEMENT

Floating a New Theory

Correct Zipp. Shawn, I did not mean to imply ONLY recruiting violations. There were impermissible benefits (I think we can all agree on that) AND there were recruiting violations (based on what we know). The question becomes the extent and severity of those violations. Sure they LOOK bad.. but how bad were they really?

Did violations occur? YES. Should those violations merit punishment? YES. Is a post season ban a proper punishment? NO... at least not based on what we know so far.

However, it is water under the bridge. Ramsey & crew chose that medicine whether they needed it or not. Like when I let my kids choose their own punishment... if they choose more than I would, it still sticks. :)
Fair enough. Thanks for the exchange, and for not blowing a gasket like others ITT. Impressive win tonight, btw, especially after the slow start. And what a terrible loss by UNC. Timeout anyone?

Look the one thing that fails to get mentioned in these discussions on whether the ban was necessary is the fact that the NCAA is still trying to determine if McGee acted on his own or HE felt he was acting on behalf of a coach, booster, university official, whoever. It would not be shocking to me knowing what I am hearing about McGee for him to say someone wanted him to do this either to keep his job or keep up with the Jones.

What stands out in most all UK fan contributions to threads dealing with the scandal is their drastic and palpable disappointment that worse events did not occur.

As UofL fans have closed in as best as possible on what actually occurred based on so little information, UK fans exist - with breathless anticipation - in that Punishment Galaxy of stonings and beheadings.

The ultimate irony is in how few Louisville fans have read the book - lol, I haven't - and how many UK fans have, ha ha.

So I guess this is your nice way of saying that she has indeed confirmed that the events detailed in the book are fiction. Would you be so kind as to point us all in the direction of said confirmation? And while you are at it, you may want to point President Ramsey and AD Jurich in that same direction because they would presumably like to know that they banned Louisville based on a fiction.
This is the entitled perspective that falls so flat on our board.

WTF wants to do work for you? Think about that. You're making your pathetically needy case based essentially around your rancor at the program whose board you post and acting as if we are on trial. Your "attack mode" is obvious as you distrust the simplest replies of those who have experienced it all. Your urges for beauty, justice and truth never really passed the smell test. Sorry.

When the story broke about the book, I told myself there is no way I would read it. After this thing has dragged on, I was in a bookstore looking for a sports book for my father-in-law and I saw the book on the shelf. Out of curiosity I thumbed through it only to be astounded that this was something that could be published as journalism. It had less than 90 pages and was in large type or double spaced print to take up more pages, had a lot of photos (all the ones we have seen) on the news.

Although I couldn't bear to read it (because it didn't seem well written) I have surmised that the NCAA infractions are not about the book itself but likely uncovered a possible trail or scenario that is harmful. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
Unlike the websites I usually visit, most of the LPT sites probably have the book advertised for sale. That would be my explanation why many LPT fans have read the book and U of L fans have not.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Come on now Zipp. Quit acting like you haven't read some of the book. It ludicrous for the majority to act like they haven't Do you actually believe Rick hasn't read this book?

All paid activities regarding NCAA athletes must be similar to normal campus activities. I don't think the University believes strippers in dorms is a normal campus activity. Having strippers in a dorm is considered an Extra-benefit and is a violation under the NCAA.
Qualitatively, that's correct. $10K over four years is $48 per week spread over many individuals. I wanna hear how that much of an "extra benefit" rises to the level of a postseason ban...

Come on now Zipp. Quit acting like you haven't read some of the book. It ludicrous for the majority to act like they haven't Do you actually believe Rick hasn't read this book?
Any portions I've read were excerpted in news stories about it. I've seen the cover published in photos as well as various photos from the book itself.

I wouldn't waste my time reading the book if you paid me. I've left that task to the slapd!cks.

"Elite program", my a$$...

What stands out in most all UK fan contributions to threads dealing with the scandal is their drastic and palpable disappointment that worse events did not occur.

As UofL fans have closed in as best as possible on what actually occurred based on so little information, UK fans exist - with breathless anticipation - in that Punishment Galaxy of stonings and beheadings.

The ultimate irony is in how few Louisville fans have read the book - lol, I haven't - and how many UK fans have, ha ha.

For what it's worth Senore, I think the post season ban this year is probably much worse than you guys deserved, and I'm not over here in blue country hoping for more bad news. Unlike most LPT fans (Zipp, I'm learning!,) I still hold Rick Pitino in high regard for rebuilding our program from the ashes.

Great point Senore. What you mentioned about slapd!ck nation being disappointed is spot on. It's clear to see that they are more invested in Louisville's failures and negativity than their own team. What's funny is they get snarky when we tell them we haven't read or even plan on reading the book. That Shawn guy is a complete slapd!ck tool and he along with other redneck trash UK posters passive aggressive posting here on our board is getting very old. Why the hell are they so stressed out and invested in this whole situation is beyond me. I just wish the mods would get rid of them and clean our board up. Those slapd!cks don't contribute a damn thing around here.

Good work Fred! One thing I picked up on is that SMU also chose to propose a one year loss of scholarships, which U of L did not propose? So does that have any indication of the possible severity of infractions and did U of L think the ban was enough?

With regards to other schools, Syracuse basketball had a self-imposed post-season ban initiated during a season when their team wasn't having that good of year. I could see where a timely response by a university could show the NCAA that the school was serious. But there are also other factors to act now.

What I think is minimized, when a decision is made "for the good of the university," a post-season ban now for this year versus for next year does other things. Players could leave the university, according to NCAA rules, if the university was receiving penalties. So if the self-impose penalty was for the following season, U of L could lose their entire roster after this season if the post-season ban was done this way. The basketball is big money for the NCAA and the university. The players, often, are pawns in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT