ADVERTISEMENT

Five things about UofL 86- UTC 37

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
It was eighties night in the KFC YUM Center last night so the Cards thoughtfully stopped the scoring at 86 and had a rollicking good time in defeating Chattanooga by 49 points. A winning margin that surprised me a bit. Especially with the way this one started. But defense did it and UofL WBB is 4-0.

For sputtering starts, defensive domination, joyous celebrations and the Senegalese/Japanese connection, let's all put on our MTV T-shirts and leggings, jump around with Jaz and Liz and steal our way over to:

FIVE THINGS ABOUT THIS GAME

5) SPUTTERING START. I'm pretty sure there was a rim on UofL's basket to start the game, the Cards just couldn't locate it. An 0-8 shooting start isn't going to win you any extra bonus flight miles. Inside productivity early was the coyote chasing the Roadrunner. Fortunately, UTC was equally bad and the Cards put together a 14-3 run to end the 1st quarter. Dana and "E" were getting un-tracked and UTC already looked worried.

4) DEFENSIVE DOMINATION. 12 steals. 24.6% Mocs shooting, 50-16 in the paint and...do i need to go on? Coach Walz was pleased with the defensive effort, which he says about as often as Pelosi compliments Trump. Louisville was hustling, in many different court combinations, and defense leads to ball possession and points in a perfect world. It wasn't exactly Xanadu last night but the Cards turned in their finest defensive performance, in my humble opinion, this young season. The Mocs got rocked on offense.

3) JUMP AROUND, JUMP AROUND ! With a minute left in the third quarter, Liz Dixon scored inside. This set off a raucous Cardinal player celebration that was entertaining to watch. As the buzzer sounded to end the third, Liz struck again and you would have thought the Cards had beaten UConn instead of holding a 61-27 lead over UTC. A warranted celebration, though. We all know Dixon has struggled with inside offense this year. To see her go back-to-back with a little paint authority had me jumping around in my seat, too.

2) HELLO, KONNO AND YEAH,YEAH YA-YA !! I really like watching Konno and Diop play. Especially when they are in the game together, which we saw a lot of in the second half. The wily, cagey veteran and the full-of-promise freshman. They combined for 19 points last night, a season-high for Norika with her 11 and Diop grabbed five boards. Put those two on just about any other ACC team and they're starting and averaging 30+ minutes a night. Diop is relentless in her on-court pursuit of the ball and Konno had a couple of "did-you-see-that?" assists. Contributors they are.

1) MAKE IT A DOUBLE, KYLEE. Her third double-double in four games. In just 17 minutes. She even tossed in a three-ball. This "I am an inside player" philosophy of hers is good to see. Let's brag about Balogun's near double, too. 11 grabs and nine points. Let's brag about Jazz's sideline dancing and compliment Walz on not blowing a gasket against the "better than average" officiating. We got what we came for last night. A blowout win over a Southern Conference squad and impressive defense and rebounding. Hey, Linz ever nailed a three! A good night in the YUM!

It was an active night for us, as well, at the north end zone press table. Three loose balls came our way and Paulie almost got beaned by a bag of peanuts. I still have my Brightside helmet. I may wear it Sunday. Incoming !

-- sonja --

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News