ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL FINAL COACHING SEARCH UPDATE***

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
Time for a new thread, and hopefully the last thread of this search.

As most of you all know, this search has been very quiet, and it’s been tough to really get a grasp on it at times.

I’ve tried to limit the updates as much as possible until something new has developed.

There was one point in time where I really wasn’t sure Kenny would be the guy, and maybe that was a smoke screen.

But…here goes the final update:

*** I’ve talked to two sources over the last day who are very, very close to the happenings, and without saying it’s a done deal, barring anything absolutely bonkers, Kenny Payne will be the next head coach at UofL. I was told tentative terms have been agreed to, and everything should be wrapped up in the next day or so.

*** As for an announcement timeline, a source close to the athletic department told me that the senior staff met this morning, and there has been a lot of closed-door meetings throughout the day today. The hope is that an announcement is made on Thursday.

*** I’ve talked to a few people in the basketball world, and the sentiment from all of them is that Kenny is going to get players at a high level. But more importantly, players love playing for Kenny, and his player development is top notch.

*** I also feel comfortable saying that a few key boosters/donors will be back, and a unifying of some sort will begin as Kenny takes over.

Here’s to getting back on the winning side of things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News