ADVERTISEMENT

FBI U of K

Noel's was after UK, Bam's was in high school (like Maggette's). The NCAA said Duke couldn't had known and no punishment. If that works for Duke then UK shouldn't be punished either.

Reactions: awf and CGblue
There is nothing to see here. UofK has already investigated this and they determined that uk was clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CGblue
There is nothing to see here. Uofgay has already investigated this and they determined that uk was clean.

rotflmao.jpg

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cue Card
Here's to sum up:
IF Noel's loan was after he quit at UK, that can't be an infraction.
Emmert pretty much said a lunch was going to be a pass, so that clears Knox on that.
Bam will likely be a voided season.
So far.
With one agent.
Icebergs. Tips. Everywhere.

Need to cancel the tourney this year or let all P5 schools sit out. From Thamels reports that would be about right.

So who ya got? Cornell, South Dakota or Belmont????

Noel's was after UK, Bam's was in high school (like Maggette's). The NCAA said Duke couldn't had known and no punishment. If that works for Duke then UK shouldn't be punished either.
The NCAA can easily argue that this situation is unprecedented and doesn't have to follow precedents (similar to the U of L ruling) esp. one dating back 18 years.

All recent precedents are that a player receiving a large amount of money while an amateur "professionalized" and is no longer eligible to play college basketball. That's Bam's case and will likely be other LPT kids as well shortly.

The NCAA will not be motivated to go easy on past wins and accomplishments. Too simple to just void those. It IS motivated to be easy on forward-looking penalties which would hurt the tournament...

Noel had been gone two years, Bam was being swayed to go to an ACC school, and Knox got one free meal. Compared to most everyone else that's fairly clean. Why hope for more negative stuff within the state? Pitino is gone, good for everyone, let's all get along and get back to a healthy rivalry.
Your opinion doesn't matter here on this site. In every case, they took an impressive benefit from an agent. Its an NCAA violation. These may be small violations to you...but they are part of a bigger problem. Its about time UK gets busted.

No one's looking for $40 food. The Feds will look for $5,000+ bank deposits and phone records corresponding to those financial entries. No one's gonna have to "admit" to anything unless they want a deal cut. Like this guy...

Decade%20of%20LPT%20Basketball%20-%20Schultz%202_zpswyzpohr0.jpg

All of you uahkay cayut fans need to remember that the NCAA doesn’t operate like a civil or criminal court of law. They are their own entity which all colleges and universities (including uahkay) choose to belong to. So, therefore, you agree to the terms of your membership which means the boys in Indy have you by the short and curlies (with the assistance of the FBI) and there isn’t anything you can do about it other than deny, deny, deny. It’s kinda like being caught in the sack with your girlfriend by your wife. Baby the NCAA problems are coming home to roost. First things first. Don’t be surprised when Calisleazy skips off to the NBA leaving the big blew nation swinging in the wind.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I've known for most of my life that college sports are shady. But it's out in the open now and in your face. It's no longer a few programs getting out of line and going on probation then rinse and repeat. Many schools are named in this data dump. It's clear to everyone that college sports have systemic problems at their root and no easy solution exists.

The FBI has given college sports a rare opportunity for real, radical reform. If instead, the NCAA chooses to penalize whoever the FBI serves up as if they were individual rule-breakers, it sends a message that the broken system will never get fixed.

I don't think the NCAA can get away with business as usual anymore. The difference now is that the system is completely exposed. If the NCAA doesn't make radical changes, then each fan will have to decide if they can support and continue to watch this dishonest, possibly criminal product. I may be wrong, but my guess is that fan interest will continue to decline.

This is a crossroads. I hope the NCAA picks the right path but I think they probably won't.

All of you uahkay cayut fans need to remember that the NCAA doesn’t operate like a civil or criminal court of law...
The new ballgame with the FBI is the power they can be granted with. Supposedly it's not easy to get a judge to grant a wiretap due to invasion of privacy issues. That happened here, and evidently it has yielded valuable evidence justifying that power. So the FBI has pretty free rein to ask for anything incl. bank and phone records.

AND they get into criminal cases which means the subjects have to be careful. Lying as these coaches have done before is dangerous. You now see more non-denial denials. There's value now in watching what coaches say and don't say.

With respect to the NCAA, the same-as-it's-ever-been attitude by cynics is offbase because it's never been this way. It's a new ballgame...

The NCAA will be selective and won't hurt their own bank accounts. It will take the feds to clean it up. The NCAA needs to be eliminated and a new organization set up.

The new ballgame with the FBI is the power they can be granted with. Supposedly it's not easy to get a judge to grant a wiretap due to invasion of privacy issues. That happened here, and evidently it has yielded valuable evidence justifying that power. So the FBI has pretty free rein to ask for anything incl. bank and phone records.

AND they get into criminal cases which means the subjects have to be careful. Lying as these coaches have done before is dangerous. You now see more non-denial denials. There's value now in watching what coaches say and don't say.

With respect to the NCAA, the same-as-it's-ever-been attitude by cynics is offbase because it's never been this way. It's a new ballgame...

As a practical matter it isn't that difficult to get wiretaps and even easier to get a grand jury and subpoenas. When the DOJ starts parading these coaches into a federal grand jury to testify under oath that means they are really getting serious. Right now they are just skirting around the edges and have not attempted to get to the root of the issue with people like WWW and others who were at the center of this system . When I see people like him and Calipari and execs at Nike getting subpoenas, then I might get excited about this process. Until then, I see it as just another exercise in charging some relatively low level guys and exposing the process and getting some nice PR while the big fish escape.

From fbi.gov:

"Are FBI special agents permitted to install wiretaps at their own discretion?

No. Wiretapping is one of the FBI’s most sensitive techniques and is strictly controlled by federal statutes. It is used infrequently and only to combat terrorism and the most serious crimes. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 2516, contains the protocol requiring all law enforcement officers to establish probable cause that the wiretaps may provide evidence of a felony violation of federal law. After determining if a sufficient showing of probable cause has been made, impartial federal judges approve or disapprove wiretaps. The approving judge then must continue to monitor how the wiretap is being conducted. Wiretapping without meeting these stringent requirements and obtaining the necessary court orders is a serious felony under the law."

LINK

From fbi.gov:

No. Wiretapping is one of the FBI’s most sensitive techniques and is strictly controlled by federal statutes. It is used infrequently and only to combat terrorism and the most serious crimes. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 2516, contains the protocol requiring all law enforcement officers to establish probable cause that the wiretaps may provide evidence of a felony violation of federal law. After determining if a sufficient showing of probable cause has been made, impartial federal judges approve or disapprove wiretaps. The approving judge then must continue to monitor how the wiretap is being conducted. Wiretapping without meeting these stringent requirements and obtaining the necessary court orders is a serious felony under the law."

LINK
As I said, not that difficult to obtain if the investigation calls for one.. More administrative paper work for the agent than anything. Convincing a judge is not a big deal. Also, the term "serious crime" is obviously extremely subjective.

As I said, not that difficult to obtain if the investigation calls for one.. More administrative paper work for the agent than anything. Convincing a judge is not a big deal. Also, the term "serious crime" is obviously extremely subjective.
I guess you read English different than I do.

If you have experience otherwise, feel free to quote it. I don't discount that the verbiage could be an exaggeration, but I know how to read, thanks...

I guess you read English different than I do.

If you have experience otherwise, feel free to quote it. I don't discount that the verbiage could be an exaggeration, but I know how to read, thanks...
Don't let government lingo confuse you. Probable cause is not such a tall legal standard to overcome. Also, compared to things like terrorism I don't really consider this to be a serious crime. Over all, wire taps are just not that common because they simply don't apply to most criminal investigations including those by the FBI.

I can’t decide if the FBI case has legs or not. On the one hand, you have Augustine charges dismissed, Gatto, Code and Dawkins seeking dismissal, and nobody seemingly rolling over prior to the Friday info dump. If the FBI doesn’t get cooperation, or find a lot more from raids and wiretaps, I could see the case pretty much falling apart. Time will tell, but I’ll bet the NCAA is secretly hoping for that. Damage is already done as far as Louisville goes. Damn shame.

From fbi.gov:

LINK
So, all they need to do is show a probable cause a felony might be found. That doesn't sound like too high a bar.

From fbi.gov:

It (wiretapping) is used infrequently and only to combat terrorism and the most serious crimes.

The most serious crimes, like college basketball recruiting? LOL.

Let's forget about the Louisville situation for a minute - but I have felt all along that the FBI has better things to focus on than (let's use Bowen as an example) where Brian Bowen goes to school and why he chose it.

Don't let government lingo confuse you. Probable cause is not such a tall legal standard to overcome. Also, compared to things like terrorism I don't really consider this to be a serious crime. Over all, wire taps are just not that common because they simply don't apply to most criminal investigations including those by the FBI.
So do you have experience or just advice?...

So, all they need to do is show a probable cause a felony might be found. That doesn't sound like too high a bar.
"It is used infrequently..." In the words of the FBI, you're right up there with terrorism.

Decade%20of%20LPT%20Basketball%20-%20Schultz%202_zpswyzpohr0.jpg

I can’t decide if the FBI case has legs or not. On the one hand, you have Augustine charges dismissed, Gatto, Code and Dawkins seeking dismissal, and nobody seemingly rolling over prior to the Friday info dump. If the FBI doesn’t get cooperation, or find a lot more from raids and wiretaps, I could see the case pretty much falling apart. Time will tell, but I’ll bet the NCAA is secretly hoping for that. Damage is already done as far as Louisville goes. Damn shame.
Don't ever expect the federal government to operate smoothly. But that doesn't mean they can't inflict serious damage on a lotta people. In fact, they're good at that...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT