ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Luke McCaffery memories as a Card

It seems no one wants to put in the work anymore. The portal certainly makes it easier to quit. It also reveals character.

Reactions: CardsFirst
It seems no one wants to put in the work anymore. The portal certainly makes it easier to quit. It also reveals character.
I don’t know how a guy with a very unspectacular resume from Nebraska can expect to come to Louisville and take the job of a two-year starter like Cunningham. The sense of entitlement of some of these kids is amazing.
With that being said I certainly appreciate all of the contributions McCaffrey made to Louisville football and wish him the best in his future endeavors ( which most certainly will not include power 5 football)

Apparently this kid had bad advice OR he didn’t do any homework on our roster, especially at QB. I have to wonder if he even knew what our colors are or what our mascot is. An obvious mistake on his part.

GO CARDS!!,

Longtime UofL quarterback Luke McCaffery is transferring after three days at UofL. Please post any special memories you have of him in the red and black.

My favorite memory was reading about him leaving a few minutes ago whe sweating in a 100 degree heat index at Disney World. Years from now, I will tell my grandchildren of this moment.

My other fond memory is when Luke and Recruiting Coordinator Coach Cooper talked about how happy they were at UofL and professed their unwavering commitment to UofL. That was a really cool and special moment for the program.

Reactions: Deeva and Guardman
A kid with a big ego without the talent to back it up at QB. Hard to be the guy/leader when your talent doesn’t back it up. That applies anywhere at this level.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Meanwhile Mr McCaffrey has chosen the Rice University Owls over his other 2 offers from Tarleton State and Medicine Hat Community College in Alberta Canada.

I believe there is a story on this that may go beyond what is seen on the surface. Maybe it was completely "football" decision. Maybe it's something else. Maybe it's a combination of things. I can laugh with you all on it but not take it too seriously.

Maybe it was a situation here where McCaffrey figured out pretty quickly that he would have a hard time beating out Cunningham and wanted to go somewhere where he had a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job. Rice is that place.

For that, I can’t blame the kid.

Maybe it was a situation here where McCaffrey figured out pretty quickly that he would have a hard time beating out Cunningham and wanted to go somewhere where he had a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job. Rice is that place.

For that, I can’t blame the kid.
If this is the case he has a very low FB IQ. Or can’t see, or read, very well. We probably dodged a bullet.

He should have known the situation before he ever came here.

If this is the case he has a very low FB IQ. Or can’t see, or read, very well. We probably dodged a bullet.

He should have known the situation before he ever came here.
Well...often heard it said in FB.....when the going gets tough, the tough get going. He didn't get going....he just left. Likely the best for both parties in this instance.

Reactions: Deeva
I believe there is a story on this that may go beyond what is seen on the surface. Maybe it was completely "football" decision. Maybe it's something else. Maybe it's a combination of things. I can laugh with you all on it but not take it too seriously.

That's where I'm at. The additional body at QB would have been nice but I like Cunningham as QB with a proper camp and uninterrupted season. These transfer rules have given everyone ADHD.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
My guess is that he saw that he was not going to beat out Cunningham, and that he very likely was not going to beat out Conley for the top backup spot.

Cannot blame him for looking for a place where he can get some playing time without having to cheer for two players in front of him to get hurt. But it would have been a great luxury to go into the season with three experienced QBs.

And then here’s another reason to be glad McCaffrey left now instead of later. Having to deal with his famous brother hovering over him. Here is Christian McCaffrey calling Luke’s former coach Scott Frost a hypocrite for saying that Luke (and others) are getting bad advice after he departed Louisville.

As if Scott Frost transferring from Stanford after 2 years (after they wanted him to switch to another position) to go back home to Nebraska, where he won a National Championship as a starting Quarterback is comparable to Luke quitting on Louisville after a few practices to go to Rice.

Reactions: eknudtson30
The kid made no secret about the fact that he wants to be a starting QB on a team. He gave UofL a shot (maybe his hope was based on our record last year, who knows?) but quickly figured out that wasn't going to happen here. Probably not even in a backup role. So he went where he has a better chance to play. Nothing secret or nefarious about any of it. Kudos to the kid for figuring it out so quickly; his reps can go to others. Haven't heard of anyone with hard feelings over it.

Reactions: Louisvillian
The kid made no secret about the fact that he wants to be a starting QB on a team. He gave UofL a shot (maybe his hope was based on our record last year, who knows?) but quickly figured out that wasn't going to happen here. Probably not even in a backup role. So he went where he has a better chance to play. Nothing secret or nefarious about any of it. Kudos to the kid for figuring it out so quickly; his reps can go to others. Haven't heard of anyone with hard feelings over it.
True enough but this thread has been fun. It also says a lot about Malik in my opinion.

Good luck to McCaffrey but I’ll take the Evan Conleys of the world and his less than famous family.

Next thing you know the nation will have to listen to Chris Simms tell you who the best Quarterbacks in the NFL are.

Reactions: WKCard
It was a very strange story, and only the kid can tell why he left so quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT