ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Negativity

Bobby has never had to build, or maintain, a team.

His history was to walk in to someone else’s team, kicks some ass for four years, and go somewhere else.

We are the guinea pigs to find out if he can. But 8-5 will keep him here a long time.

I feel like I am arguing with Kellyanne Conway and "alternative facts". The schedules are not comparable, not even close. While we did play some good teams during Bobby 1.0 we always had a breather of playing a few teams we simply outclassed between big games. Nothing like the ACC where even the cellar dwellers have good players up and down the roster (Syracuse beating Clemson, for example).

The 2006 schedule was comparable to any 2.0 has played. Once again, when I say our talent then was superior and that is reflected in the fact we had two top 6 finishes and lots of NFL talent, you have no rational response. You just stand there shaking your head no.

The 2006 schedule was comparable to any 2.0 has played. Once again, when I say our talent then was superior and that is reflected in the fact we had two top 6 finishes and lots of NFL talent, you have no rational response. You just stand there shaking your head no.

1-"Lots of NFLtalent." Again how much compared to the second go-round? You've given no numbers or facts.

2-Top six finishes are nice, but again reflective of inflated records against overmatched, non-power conference opponents.

Reactions: Mayoman
1-"Lots of NFLtalent." Again how much compared to the second go-round? You've given no numbers or facts.

2-Top six finishes are nice, but again reflective of inflated records against overmatched, non-power conference opponents.

If you are actually a U of L football fan it should be easy for you to name many of the NFL players from those early Petrino teams some of which are still playing. Some had short careers and some long. Some were stars. Petrino 2.0 has recruited very little NFL talent. Ever hear of guys like Akoye, Rhodes, Kolby Smith, Bush, Gay, Wood, Spitz, Dumervill, Johnson, Stanley, Douglas, Barnidge, Giocamini, Bilal Powell, etc, etc? You seen much talent like that around here lately?

Also go look for yourself at the SOS's. I believe the 2006 schedule is the highest rated we have ever had and the 2005 is comparable to most of the schedules we have played since joining the ACC.

If you are actually a U of L football fan it should be easy for you to name many of the NFL players from those early Petrino teams some of which are still playing. Some had short careers and some long. Some were stars. Petrino 2.0 has recruited very little NFL talent. Ever hear of guys like Akoye, Rhodes, Kolby Smith, Bush, Gay, Wood, Spitz, Dumervill, Johnson, Stanley, Douglas, Barnidge, Giocamini, Bilal Powell, etc, etc? You seen much talent like that around here lately?

Also go look for yourself at the SOS's. I believe the 2006 schedule is the highest rated we have ever had and the 2005 is comparable to most of the schedules we have played since joining the ACC.
Good list but Powell came in under Kragthorpe.

Good list but Powell came in under Kragthorpe.

Maybe signed by Kragthorpe a few weeks after he became head coach but he was recruited by Petrino. Look, any rational fan understands those top 10 Louisville teams had way more depth and talent than what we now have. Its not even close.

Bobby has never had to build, or maintain, a team.

His history was to walk in to someone else’s team, kicks some ass for four years, and go somewhere else.

We are the guinea pigs to find out if he can. But 8-5 will keep him here a long time.

When he took over at Arkansas they were a train wreck that required a complete rebuild which he did by stepping up recruiting and changing the culture. So I think he did build that program and then after he left it went backwards.

When he took over at Arkansas they were a train wreck that required a complete rebuild which he did by stepping up recruiting and changing the culture. So I think he did build that program and then after he left it went backwards.
AR had some talent from Houston Nutt.

As you say, when Bobby left it went south.

So did we when he left here.

Blame it on whatever you want, coaches, talent, but bottom line is at TWO different schools when he left, they failed.

Is he THAT good? And if he is, why do so many around here not see it? Can’t get or keep a known DC. Doesn’t give a rat for defense period.

Again, from the fairgrounds to the ACC has been a hellava ride, and a lot of schools would love to be where we are. 8-4 in a P5 ain’t shabby.

And, if Bobby keeps ignoring D, I think we’ll have occasional very good seasons, but if he doesn’t? We are what we are. Pretty good.

And that ain’t bad.

Maybe signed by Kragthorpe a few weeks after he became head coach but he was recruited by Petrino. Look, any rational fan understands those top 10 Louisville teams had way more depth and talent than what we now have. Its not even close.

Another mistake you are making is assuming that the few select players who made NFL rosters are representative of the concepts of "overall talent" and "depth." It would be like me saying that we never came close to having a QB talent as good as Jackson during the 1.0 years and that because QB is the most important position on the field, we are more talented now. Bad argument, just like the one you are attempting to make.

The indisputable point in this debate - as others have already pointed out - is that our recruiting rankings (the best measure of overall talent and depth) are higher now than they were during the 1.0 years. Yet, you eschew this reality, or dismiss it by saying that Petrino "should recruit better now given all the current advantages." Impossible to have this both ways. Either he's recruited a better caliber of athlete to campus during his second stint (which the recruiting rankings clearly illustrate) or he hasn't. You are relying on some elusive criteria (which you can't or won't define) to make your argument.

AR had some talent from Houston Nutt.

As you say, when Bobby left it went south.

So did we when he left here.

Blame it on whatever you want, coaches, talent, but bottom line is at TWO different schools when he left, they failed.

Is he THAT good? And if he is, why do so many around here not see it? Can’t get or keep a known DC. Doesn’t give a rat for defense period.

Again, from the fairgrounds to the ACC has been a hellava ride, and a lot of schools would love to be where we are. 8-4 in a P5 ain’t shabby.

And, if Bobby keeps ignoring D, I think we’ll have occasional very good seasons, but if he doesn’t? We are what we are. Pretty good.

And that ain’t bad.

I think he was a great coach, probably top 5 when he was here and Arkansas. I don't think he is anywhere near that since coming back. We can speculate as to why that is the case.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Another mistake you are making is assuming that the few select players who made NFL rosters are representative of the concepts of "overall talent" and "depth."

No and that is the mistake you are making. In addition to the list of guys who had NFL careers, we also had a ton of talent that were guys who just missed making NFL rosters too. Guys like Brohm, Brock Bolen and many many others. The year Kragthorpe took over one publication said we had the 4th best talent in the country behind LSU, Oklahoma, and maybe Southern Cal. The talent was here. The talent was real. The talent was deep. The results proved it. To try and claim we still have that level of talent is ludicrous. Not even close.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
You do realize that the true freshmen from Bobby's very first recruiting class were seniors last season, correct? How in the world could he have already produced a lot of NFL talent when the guys are just finishing their college careers? Was he supposed to come in and while trying to salvage the very first class signed a bunch of guys that left after 3 years and are already producing in the league? I think Lamar Jackson, Dez Fitzpatrick, Jaire Alexander, Jalen Smith, and Mekhi Becton are all NFL players. Moreover, guys like Stacy Thomas, Trevon Young, and James Hearns will likely get a sniff in training camps.

^^^^^This is the exact point I was going to make. This Mikey Mac fella is about as daft as it gets. Doesn't he make his living covering Louisville sports? Scary. He just keeps naming guys and saying "see how good they was." lol

Petrino's real genius from the 1.0 years was making ordinary QB's look great. Hell, he had most of the country believing Brohm was a first round quality QB better than Matt Ryan. He got Lefors AND Cantwell a shot in the NFL. That's truly unbelievable if you understand what pedestrian talents those guys were.

You do realize that the true freshmen from Bobby's very first recruiting class were seniors last season, correct? How in the world could he have already produced a lot of NFL talent when the guys are just finishing their college careers? Was he supposed to come in and while trying to salvage the very first class signed a bunch of guys that left after 3 years and are already producing in the league? I think Lamar Jackson, Dez Fitzpatrick, Jaire Alexander, Jalen Smith, and Mekhi Becton are all NFL players. Moreover, guys like Stacy Thomas, Trevon Young, and James Hearns will likely get a sniff in training camps.

Let me know when all this talent we now have in the program is living in the top 10 and competing for the national title. You guys are hilarious.

Petrino's real genius from the 1.0 years was making ordinary QB's look great. Hell, he had most of the country believing Brohm was a first round quality QB better than Matt Ryan. He got Lefors AND Cantwell a shot in the NFL. That's truly unbelievable if you understand what pedestrian talents those guys were.
Seems to me he hasn't done a bad job getting his last QB noticed by the NFL.

Let me know when all this talent we now have in the program is living in the top 10 and competing for the national title. You guys are hilarious.

Clueless. We had two top ten finishes in his first tenure and only challenged for a spot in the NC game in 2006 up until the late season loss to Rutgers. Not too much different than 2016 and the late season loss to Houston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT