ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING: Fabio Basili Signs With Cards

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
According to Joe Tipton of On3, three-star point guard Fabio Basili is returning to the class of 2022 and has signed with U of L. Because of the re-re-classificiation, the 6’5, 175-pound Basili will be eligible to play for the Cardinals next season.

Basili averaged 20.0 points, 4.8 assists, and 4.1 rebounds per game last season for Oak Ridge High School in Florida. That’s the same high school that produced current Cardinal G/F Mike James, who missed all of last season after suffering an injury during the first week of practice.

I know nothing about this kid but heard earlier he reclassified to enroll a year early. I also heard prior to his signing with UofL he was a non ranked player. As I said, I just heard these things no idea how factual they may be.

All that being said, if true, why would a non ranking prospect reclassify to committ a year early ? And, is this a good get for us ?

I know nothing about this kid but heard earlier he reclassified to enroll a year early. I also heard prior to his signing with UofL he was a non ranked player. As I said, I just heard these things no idea how factual they may be.

All that being said, if true, why would a non ranking prospect reclassify to committ a year early ? And, is this a good get for us ?
From what I've read, it seems UofL basically asked him to reclassify back to 2022 and he did so. He has already played 4 years of high school ball. I'd say that we should all be patient with Basili, as the posters in this thread are doing so far, when it comes to expectations for him.

And getting him is better than not getting him at this point IMO. Cards were desperate for more guards and now we have one. If he can just give a few solid minutes this season off the bench, I think it will be all that's expected of him.

He was only considering reclassifying for a 5th year of HS, just the opposite of what most HS Junior’s are doing when considering leaving early.

I may be mistaken here, but as I recall Donavon Mitchell was rated as a 3 Star recruit for much of his Senior HS year. Most compare Fabio favorably with James, as they played at the same HS. Let’s wait a few more weeks before making decision about his level of talent and ability to contribute.

Good news. There's a real need for depth at his position and the almost 5 assists per game tells me he doesn't mind passing the rock. I'm not bothered by those lack stars next to his name. Let's see if maybe he's one of those sleepers.

It’s a good thing because Hercy Miller isn’t going to play at this level like some think.

Last edited:
I kind of see the main rotation going a little like this. Core players of Ellis, Miller (I’m going to get hate for including him but I think he’ll be better than some think), Lands, James, Traynor, Withers, Huntley-Hatfield, Curry and Wheeler. Curry and Wheeler man the 5 spot (maybe a little bit of Brandon here too) and withers + BHH at the 3 and 4 (with Huntley-Hatfield taking up most of the minutes at the 4 while Withers fills in there in spurts). Traynor and James fill in minutes as backups for Jaelyn while Mike splits minutes with Lands at the two. I could also see El moving over to the two for his scoring a little bit and Hercy running the point. In total thats 9 players who I think are all versatile. And with adjustment to this level Ree and Fabio could also make some contributions.

I kind of see the main rotation going a little like this. Core players of Ellis, Miller (I’m going to get hate for including him but I think he’ll be better than some think), Lands, James, Traynor, Withers, Huntley-Hatfield, Curry and Wheeler. Curry and Wheeler man the 5 spot (maybe a little bit of Brandon here too) and withers + BHH at the 3 and 4 (with Huntley-Hatfield taking up most of the minutes at the 4 while Withers fills in there in spurts). Traynor and James fill in minutes as backups for Jaelyn while Mike splits minutes with Lands at the two. I could also see El moving over to the two for his scoring a little bit and Hercy running the point. In total thats 9 players who I think are all versatile. And with adjustment to this level Ree and Fabio could also make some contributions.
Miller couldn’t average 2ppg At Tennessee St. How do you think he can play here?

ranksing schmankings. ja morant wasn't ranked by anyone and is one of the more unstoppable players in the nba, and was so in college. and no one recruited him so anything can happen and it seems that if he listens to coaching he'll improve under CKP

Predicted line up:
PG El Ellis
SG Mike James
SF Kamari Lands
PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield
C Sydney Curry

Back up:
PG Fabio Basili
SG Hercy Miller
SF Devin Ree
PF Jaylen Withers/JJ Traynor
C Roosevelt Wheeler

I see Ellis getting about 28-32 mins a game, with Fabio backing him up at point with 12 mins max a game. Mike James at two splitting minutes with Kamari as they rotate between the 2/3. Ree getting some cleanup minutes at the wing. PF spot is loaded with Jae’lyn Withers, BHH, and JJ. I think BHH and Withers will get a majority of the minutes with JJ getting some time (12-14) mins a game, depending on the match up. Sydney obv at the 5 getting 28 mins, with Rose getting the rest.

I don’t have super high expectations for this team, but I think we end up with a better record than last year. All in all I just hope we make the tourney. Feels like a 19-13 type year.

Is what it is at this point. I think some of our small forwards will rotate over to SG. I only see H Miller playing when some guards are in foul trouble or when playing a much lesser team. Definitely don’t expect more than 5-7 mins a game from him. Also don’t think we’re screwed. Last year our guards didn’t even know how to dribble in traffic. I see a major upgrade with Basili, Ellis, James, Lands, and Ree over West, Locke, and Cross.

Predicted line up:
PG El Ellis
SG Mike James
SF Kamari Lands
PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield
C Sydney Curry

Back up:
PG Fabio Basili
SG Hercy Miller
SF Devin Ree
PF Jaylen Withers/JJ Traynor
C Roosevelt Wheeler

I see Ellis getting about 28-32 mins a game, with Fabio backing him up at point with 12 mins max a game. Mike James at two splitting minutes with Kamari as they rotate between the 2/3. Ree getting some cleanup minutes at the wing. PF spot is loaded with Jae’lyn Withers, BHH, and JJ. I think BHH and Withers will get a majority of the minutes with JJ getting some time (12-14) mins a game, depending on the match up. Sydney obv at the 5 getting 28 mins, with Rose getting the rest.

I don’t have super high expectations for this team, but I think we end up with a better record than last year. All in all I just hope we make the tourney. Feels like a 19-13 type year.
So, in your book, Withers doesn't start?

So, in your book, Withers doesn't start?
I think it depends on how ready BHH is. I see them sharing a lot of minutes with either one getting nod if they’re playing well. If Jae’lyn plays like he did a couple years ago, he should start.

Is what it is at this point. I think some of our small forwards will rotate over to SG. I only see H Miller playing when some guards are in foul trouble or when playing a much lesser team. Definitely don’t expect more than 5-7 mins a game from him. Also don’t think we’re screwed. Last year our guards didn’t even know how to dribble in traffic. I see a major upgrade with Basili, Ellis, James, Lands, and Ree over West, Locke, and Cross.
Exactly! It is what it is. I agree about the small forwards rotating over because that’s all we can do. Teams will press and run us in hope of wearing our guards down. Except Virginia 😂

Reactions: UL_1986
I think it depends on how ready BHH is. I see them sharing a lot of minutes with either one getting nod if they’re playing well. If Jae’lyn plays like he did a couple years ago, he should start.
Yep. I think Coach Mack gave up on him. Perhaps he can do much better under Coach Payne. I had heard earlier that BHH and Kamari were the talk of the town during summer workouts.

Reactions: UL_1986
I think any new coach would have "failed" recruiting in 2022 after Louisville's disastrous losing season. KP obviously got a late start with HS kids and the transfer market was definitely effected by the upcoming NCAA penalties on the program.

Since the graduate transfer thing started, UofL has had no problem finding worthy guards so why all of a sudden in 2022 not one guard chose the Cards? The easy answer is grad transfers didn't want to waste their one opportunity by choosing a school that may not be eligible.

So calling this a failure of KP is shortsighted to say the least. There were hundreds of players in the portal and Louisville didn't get one commitment even though there are multiple open scholarships.

On the contrary, I believe the roster as it stands is kind of a miracle that I believe KP should be credited for. This roster could be a whole lot worse with the threat of post season bans.

I think any new coach would have "failed" recruiting in 2022 after Louisville's disastrous losing season. KP obviously got a late start with HS kids and the transfer market was definitely effected by the upcoming NCAA penalties on the program.

Since the graduate transfer thing started, UofL has had no problem finding worthy guards so why all of a sudden in 2022 not one guard chose the Cards? The easy answer is grad transfers didn't want to waste their one opportunity by choosing a school that may not be eligible.

So calling this a failure of KP is shortsighted to say the least. There were hundreds of players in the portal and Louisville didn't get one commitment even though there are multiple open scholarships.

On the contrary, I believe the roster as it stands is kind of a miracle that I believe KP should be credited for. This roster could be a whole lot worse with the threat of post season bans.
Here's the thing, KP was hired on the assumption that he was a cracker jack recruiter and he would be bringing in elite talent. He sure didn't show that is his strength this off-season.. If he loses Wagner to U of sucK coaching better be his strength or he isn't going to be here long..

I was against hiring him but I will fully support him until he shows he doesn't deserve it. I think he is off to a shaky start. We'll see how well he does with this roster, maybe it's better than we think..

Here's the thing, KP was hired on the assumption that he was a cracker jack recruiter and he would be bringing in elite talent. He sure didn't show that is his strength this off-season.. If he loses Wagner to U of sucK coaching better be his strength or he isn't going to be here long..

I was against hiring him but I will fully support him until he shows he doesn't deserve it. I think he is off to a shaky start. We'll see how well he does with this roster, maybe it's better than we think..
We were lucky to even keep Curry, Ellis, James, Withers, and Rose. Once this bs iarp thing is over he will be fine:

Reactions: CoachJ1122
I don't know the whole NCAA probation things been over our heads now for many years and we haven't had any trouble recruiting until now I just don't think that's a very good excuse... I mean come on we basically have one guard and he was hit and miss last year it is really sad the recruiting this year

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I don't know the whole NCAA probation things been over our heads now for many years and we haven't had any trouble recruiting until now I just don't think that's a very good excuse... I mean come on we basically have one guard and he was hit and miss last year it is really sad the recruiting this year
You have to know the process is at the end stage? You correctly stated it's been over our heads for years. That should be an easy assumption to consider when a kid is deciding who to play for.

And it sure is being used by other schools that the time is now that Louisville is going to be punished. No one is saying it still may be a few years away.

It was very predictable that KP wasn't going to have a great first recruiting class. I still figured some small school grad transfer would still come here but with virtually every power conference team needing guards, it wasn't a difficult decision by players not to come here.

And with the Cards coming off a terrible losing season, there just wasn't a real good reason to transfer here.

This is certainly not KP's fault. He would have taken several transfers but he couldn't truthfully tell them they wouldn't be banned this season. There's no way anyone can grade this first recruiting class for KP. Until the sanctions are known, recruiting results should have an asterisk next to it.

Did you have this same mentality when Mack was here ? I don't know if YOU did or not but I'll say there were a lot of people that didn't give him that as an excuse..
It dragged out over the extent of Mack’s tenure. This thing is finally coming to a halt. Will it be good news or bad news? That’s TBD, but I’m betting on the latter. My guess is we will get hit with a post season ban, which makes the undecided not desirable for current/future recruits.

KP is doing awesome so far, imo. one big problem he has corrected is the media. there are lot of trolls in journalism. i've found many Louisville basketball media are Kentucky fans so they are looking to put down Louisville.
KP's media secrecy is the right move.

also, it gives opponents less ability to scout.
we have an important early Arkansas game and the opponent has no clue about our offense or defense.

Yes, we needed more guards but there's enough scholarship players to have a successful team. It's not like we can only play 6 guys like Syracuse did last season.

What if two of the rookies are all freshman team performers? What if Withers and Traynor are drastically improved?

The Cards can be a total surprise if the players they do have play very well. Right now we just don't know what we're going to see.

There's only one thing that cannot happen and that Ellis getting injured and missing games. If he stays healthy, this team has a chance to do something that most don't expect.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman and UL_1986
Last season was a train wreck from the very beginning; the suspension by an out-going University President, against the wishes of an out-going AD, resulted in Mack joining the out-going house cleanup.

Judging from some of these posts, it appears there are a few folks who have no understanding as to just how dysfunctional this school and it’s sports program had evolved. It’s a testament to UL’s tradition that it could land as softly as it has despite the added burden of anticipating more NCAA sanctions.

Jr Bridgeman attracted a team of UL alumni willing to finance an effort to rebuild UL’s BB program, based on hiring KP as HC. No reasonable person expected Kenny to sign a top recruiting class this early in the process.

If you were a grad transfer would you take a chance on your 1yr at a school that might face probation? KP going to be fine!

Full disclosure, KP was not my first choice. That said, I do support him and hope we have a surprisingly good season with the talent that we do have. But, we don’t need revisionist history. The big story line in KP’s hiring was his recruiting prowess. Pundits like Maybin and Rummage (who are truly the worst most unprofessional radio hosts in town…but that’s another post) crowed loud and hard (and are still crowing) about all the five stars that would be lined up down Floyd street if KP were hired. This overselling has definitely led to some disappointment in this year’s recruiting class. But, KP can’t be blamed for being oversold. He also can’t be blamed for the IARP issue and for the negative recruiting that goes on from other programs.
So, with arms unfolded, I’m willing to sit and wait for things to play out with the IARP and the upcoming season. Good luck coach Payne and GO CARDS!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: vivid_red
Having a reputation as a great recruiter doesn't exclude a not so great class every once in awhile. It so happens that it may be KP's first class here at UofL.

No one can truly judge today if KP is a great recruiter for UofL. Same thing about being a head coach. It's going to take games played to judge that as It's going to take on recruiting classes.
This first season of KP is yet to be determined. This time next year, all of us can truly argue his strengths and weaknesses in both cases.

IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT