ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Expecting Football Recruiting to Pick Up Significantly in June

Mark Ennis

2500+
Apr 17, 2014
Earlier today I started a thread hoping to stir a bit of optimism in members that with the rating of all five commitments, Louisville was really doing alright recruiting wise. At #55 nationally they're ahead of a dozen or so other Power 5 schools (including Purdue and Jeff Brohm!). I'm starting this new thread with the same aim. I believe fans should see an uptick in Louisville football recruiting and see that uptick for easily understandable reasons.

What's Expected

In the next couple of weeks, Louisville football could do anything from double to as much as triple the size of its commitment list. Right now, the Cardinals sit with five total commitments. That number could reach as much as fifteen over the month of June. Those around the football program are beginning to sense a shift in receptivity with recruits and are hopeful that a number of key prospects at multiple positions are ready to publicly pledge to Satterfield and the Cards.

Getting the class as close to complete as possible in the summer and early fall is vital for three reasons. First, Satterfield has said repeatedly since he arrived that he wants to sign as close to all 25 signees in the early period as possible. The coaches get to do far less recruiting once camp arrives in August. That means having the vast majority of the class done or almost done by the end of July or early August. If they're at say 12-15 commitments of mostly bona fide guys by the end of June, they'll be well on their way.

Second, they need the guys. The 11 or so guys still in the transfer portal aren't coming back. The last time Satterfield was on the show with me he said they are now free to sign a full 25 man class. And depth at OL, TE, RB, DL all cry out for bodies that fit the scheme.

Third, this football season could be a real slog. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely, that the results on the field will overwhelm recruits. They'll be improved. Of course. But a 4-8 season won't set the world on fire though it would be a significant improvement. Getting the majority of the class done before the season is vital.

Why Now?

Why are things possibly improving now? Good old fashioned time. Bearing in mind that nobody was really recruiting for Louisville last year and these coaches are recruiting players most of them wouldn't have had a shot with at Appalachian State, we all should've seen the slow start coming. Louisville and its new staff were strangers to a large number of 2020 kids. Throw in a 2-10 season and you get what you've seen so far.

But now the staff's had a chance to hit the road multiple times. They've hosted camps and some large recruiting weekends. They've gotten to know the parents better, the high school coaches better, the local trainers (who often matter more than a coach or parent) better. Those kids have had a chance to take visits elsewhere, too. They've had a chance to interact with Louisville's staff as well as others and come to like Louisville's more. But none of that movement could be fast-forwarded. It just takes time.

Names?

I think Dave Lackford can probably do a better job surmising who might be the most likely kids to jump on board soon, but there are a few names to watch. I would anticipate Justin Ford being made public pretty much any time now. I and others share a great deal of optimism about offensive linemen Luke Kandra and Timothy Lawson. I know that for some time the staff has felt good about where it sits with Antonio Stevens, though Mississippi State seems to have jumped into the fray and mucked that up some. One would think Josh Minkins Jr will be a possible commit in the near future as well.

Beyond that, it's hard to say and again I think Dave will be able to shed more light.

I just wanted to share with you the subscribers the optimism coming from the staff about how June could go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News