ADVERTISEMENT

Early Top 25 for next year

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
looking at several early top 25s. Cards avg position of #23, while they have 3 top 10 teams on their schedule (Clemson #1, FSU #4, Houston #10).

Next year will be an important measuring stick year.

I predicted 8-4 in 2015. I see the same thing next season. Turned out to be a bad time for a series with Houston. Don't see us beating those 3 next yr though it's high time Petrino finally wins one of those. Marshall in Huntington is no day at the beach

They have the opportunity to do some good things next year. With that said they having to beat both Clemson and Florida State is a very tall task.

Last night showed you how important having depth in talent. It all starts with talent. The talent difference is pretty significant when you start comparing Louisville to FSU and Clemson. I know people don't like recruiting rankings but they both have had top 10 recruiting classes for several years in a row. It shows up every time Louisville plays them in their depth. No one has quality depth like Alabama, but Clemson/FSU have an abundance too. Louisville has good players, but they aren't loaded with talent. Louisville loses Fields it is a problem, Clemson losing Lawson no problem.

Louisville's class this year could end up being the highest ever, but it is still going to be 20 spots behind both FSU and Clemson. One year doesn't matter, it is the classes over the course of several years. For Louisville to have a legit shot at beating both Clemson and FSU in the same year that gap has to close. Can Louisville start consistenly start getting top 20 classes? I think it will be very difficult. That is why Louisville has to do it differently by taking transfers or players with a checkered past.

Next year will come down to winning 2 of 3 in games against Houston, FSU and Clemson. I don't see anyone beating Clemson next year.

Last edited:
Good post cycle. Depth in college football is crucial. I 100% agree. That all starts with recruiting and ends with solid coaching. We saw that on display last night in what turned out to be an instant classic. I didn't much care for the outcome, but the game itself was exciting and fun to watch.

BTW, anyone else remember the time when UofL would get blasted for playing "bush league" football for pulling off a trick play? That it wasn't big boy football to use gimmick plays? My how times have changed.

Reactions: Mayoman
Clemson is as talented as Alabama. It was a crazy game. I don't know the number of plays Alabama ran the entire night, all I know is 4 plays resulted in 28 points.

Credit to Saban he knew they weren't going to stop Watson. A really good and safe call.

Step up to the challenge...and I look forward to the Houston Game...beat them and don't have the what the heck loss to a Virginia..etc..and beat FSU @ home...NYD Six...seize the opportunity..

Clemson could be historically good next year, if they stay healthy. I predict the Cards play everybody close next year, but do another 7-5 thing. We can't schedule 8 home games like LPT, or FCS schools. Once kids realize UL truly is big time (that takes a few years) the recruiting will continue to improve.

Clemson could be historically good next year, if they stay healthy. I predict the Cards play everybody close next year, but do another 7-5 thing. We can't schedule 8 home games like LPT, or FCS schools. Once kids realize UL truly is big time (that takes a few years) the recruiting will continue to improve.

I cannot see this team only winning 7 games next year. FSU, Clemson and Houston will have a lot back, but the drop off after them is HUGE. BC and NC State will most likely be worse than this year. Wake Forest will be better but has no where close to the talent of UofL. Duke loses a lot of talent, although they still have a great coach. Marshall will be a tough place to play, but Cards will still be favored by double digits. In fact, outside of the big 3 games, I bet UofL is favored by at least 7 points in every other game.

I cannot see this team only winning 7 games next year. FSU, Clemson and Houston will have a lot back, but the drop off after them is HUGE. BC and NC State will most likely be worse than this year. Wake Forest will be better but has no where close to the talent of UofL. Duke loses a lot of talent, although they still have a great coach. Marshall will be a tough place to play, but Cards will still be favored by double digits. In fact, outside of the big 3 games, I bet UofL is favored by at least 7 points in every other game.

7 is a little low and I see that as a worst case....going 9-3 for 2016 with "Potential" of winning 11 Regular Season-(depends once again on the OL & if LJ Can become consistent from the pocket)

FAVORITES:

The Charlotte game will be off the board. Difference is 44 points.

Louisville will be 13 pt favorite over Wake (and Cards never cover Wake), @ Louisville

Louisville will be a ~12 point favorite over Kentucky, @ Louisville.

Louisville will be 9 pt favs over both BC and Syracuse (both AWAY).

Louisville will be 7-8 pt favorite over NC State, @ Louisville

Louisville will be be 7 pt fav over Virginia, @ Virginia

Louisville will be 6-7 pt fav over Duke, @ Louisville.

Louisville will be favored by 6 against Marshall @ Marshall.

DOGS:

Louisville will be 3 pt dog to Florida State, at Louisville

Louisville will be a 5 point dog to Houston, at Houston

Louisville will be 14-17 pt dog to Clemson, at Clemson

FAVORITES:

The Charlotte game will be off the board. Difference is 44 points.

Louisville will be 13 pt favorite over Wake (and Cards never cover Wake), @ Louisville

Louisville will be a ~12 point favorite over Kentucky, @ Louisville.

Louisville will be 9 pt favs over both BC and Syracuse (both AWAY).

Louisville will be 7-8 pt favorite over NC State, @ Louisville

Louisville will be be 7 pt fav over Virginia, @ Virginia

Louisville will be 6-7 pt fav over Duke, @ Louisville.

Louisville will be favored by 6 against Marshall @ Marshall.

DOGS:

Louisville will be 3 pt dog to Florida State, at Louisville

Louisville will be a 5 point dog to Houston, at Houston

Louisville will be 14-17 pt dog to Clemson, at Clemson

Those look reasonable except for the Clemson line. This past year we were only a 6 point dog despite being 0-2. Last two seasons have been nail biting one possession games.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT