ADVERTISEMENT

Early, but some takeaways this UL Men’s Team is beginning to show

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Scoring the last 9 points yesterday in front of a huge NCST home court advantage, that was honoring the late Jim Valvano, deserves some serious recognition. Admittedly coming into the 2nd half, and allowing the Wolfpack to cut so deep and so quickly into the 14 point UL lead is noteworthy as well, and not in a good way ………… yet it demonstrate a sense of resilience that was missing most of last year.

5 players with double digit scoring, and witnessing Samuel Williamson not contributing tells me just how encouraging this deep roster can be, as once the multiple combinations (11 players in a close contest) figure out each other’s roles, this team will improve over the course of this season.. Williamson is clearly struggling now, but I have every expectation that Mack will work him into his role where he plays within his game.

Last year’s team would have struggled when faced with a 4 point deficit in the last 3 minutes, as they were too one-dimensional and dependent on Carlik Jones driving the lane, The two incoming transfers, Locke and Cross made critical 3 pointers, something that Mack and his staff had expected when he pursued both for this roster.

Results are better when shots go in from beyond the 3 pt line and FT line. A team can overcome a lot of problems with good shooting. Louisville is heavily reliant on the 3 pt shot so they are going to be a streaky team.

There was more to the win than just shooting you covered most or all of it. Some of our shooters bring more to the table than just the 3 pt shot.

NC St is bad, and they were without two key players. But no road games are easy, and after they won a marathon over a bad team Nebraska the other night they probably had a belief they could win, and that's part of why they came back. Agree about your Valvano reference too.

Am rooting hard for Sam but he is now a JR. This situation is beyond a shooting slump and/or a defensive mistake. His entire game is a mess. I believe he is capable but other guys are consistently contributing at the position he plays.

The pieces are here. IMO for this team to reach next level T25ish Withers needs to get better. The team needs the version of him that made that power drive in the paint for the "and 1" he got in the 2nd half late in the game to show up at tip-off. 3 pts in 17 min on 1-6 FG from him won't cut it when the opponents upgrade. His shot selection has to improve, it's not good right now.

For comparisons, if you glance @ box scores around the country and look @ the 4 spot, you see kids @ that position cleaning glass and shooting high FG%. Some are elite players, but not all. Right now the Cards 4 man is a tweener drifting and the team needs him to roll up sleeves and play 15 feet in, with the occasional 3pt shot if it's in a flow. Still early. Right now Withers is going for 7&5 on 46% overall, and 26% from 3pt.

Last year, Withers was at 10&8 with a 55% FG efficiency, and 38% from 3pt. So an improvement here is not only needed, but maybe expected. Long story short (TOO LATE!), he is MUCH better than what he's producing right now.

Last edited:
I thought the team showed some toughness literally yesterday on a lot of fronts that I didn't see Wednesday night.
Scrapping for rebounds,loose balls while the victory was seemingly slipping away.
Lotta moxy just hanging around late to get that one. Help defense and keeping guys from blowing by them hopefully will get better. The depth of this team will be a big plus if they ALL buy into their roles.

Davis is quickly becoming my favorite player. I will tolerate no Dre slander. His toughness is infectious and he has very high IQ for shot selection. Eventually he will have to show some more variety in his paint shots (that fadeaway will get blocked in his face by someone eventually), but he is one of the pillars of the team right now

Reactions: shadow force
Davis is quickly becoming my favorite player. I will tolerate no Dre slander. His toughness is infectious and he has very high IQ for shot selection. Eventually he will have to show some more variety in his paint shots (that fadeaway will get blocked in his face by someone eventually), but he is one of the pillars of the team right now
Same

Something we have done the last 3 or 4 games bodes well for this team if they continue to do it. And that is rebound. They outrebounded NCST by 16 yesterday. They also had large margins over MSU and Maryland. One thing they need to fix in a hurry is every game we have a 5 plus minute scoring drought. Some games 2 of them. Those will get you beat against most good teams.

good insight guys. some reasons to be optimistic in a weak ACC year.
we figured out rebounding which is a huge plus.

there is a big hole in the defense when our center is forced out to the perimeter. teams just drive to the basket or can cut and score layups easily. have to figure that out.

also, i think Withers should be put in the center position once in a while. he's struggling with the transition at the 4 spot.

Thought the same thing Achilles; if we are going to have our Bigs go out to defend the backcourt picks …… it should be Withers and not Williams.

Reactions: achilles992000
One thing they need to fix in a hurry is every game we have a 5 plus minute scoring drought. Some games 2 of them. Those will get you beat against most good teams.
I can think back to many-a-team that have had the same problem. Those droughts almost certainly add up to losses. Hell,we've seen them in late rounds of the tournament.
That's where great point guard play and leadership have to take over a la Siva. Either get it yourself,something easy or get to the line. This is a guard's game and has been for a while.

We do not have anyone who matches Peyton Siva or Carlik Jones in terms of driving the ball into the paint; Ellis appears to be the closest, but not to that level yet. With that said, neither Siva or Jones were a threat shooting the 3; at least anywhere close to Locke, West or Faulkner.

Might be closer to February before these kids get comfortable in this new offense, and familiar enough with the multiple combinations that will allow them to find their own identity and how they can contribute.

Reactions: gocds
good insight guys. some reasons to be optimistic in a weak ACC year.
we figured out rebounding which is a huge plus.

there is a big hole in the defense when our center is forced out to the perimeter. teams just drive to the basket or can cut and score layups easily. have to figure that out.

also, i think Withers should be put in the center position once in a while. he's struggling with the transition at the 4 spot.
It's the transition to the 4 spot in this 4 and 5 out offense. It sticks him in the corner!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT