ADVERTISEMENT

Does Stoops "almost move" to Texas A&M hurt his future tenure?

Sawyer

1500+
Aug 3, 2001
Will knowing that their coach was happily "out the door" before the big money guys at Texas A&M pulled the plug on his hire have a negative affect on Stoop's future tenure at BBN?

The situation kind of reminds of how Louisville fans felt about Satterfield after he flirted with South Carolina. Satt lost a lot of his fan base support and it never came back.

I just read the article Texas A&M vetoes the hiring of Mark Stoops. He went around telling staff members and close associates he was leaving for Texas A&M. Then the higher ups and big money boosters said Stoops wasn’t a good enough coach for the Aggies. So Stoops has to eat crow and tell the sUcK faithful ( who are dumb enough to believe it ) that he is staying at sUcK because that is where he really wants to be.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Will knowing that their coach was happily "out the door" before the big money guys at Texas A&M pulled the plug on his hire have a negative affect on Stoop's future tenure at BBN?

The situation kind of reminds of how Louisville fans felt about Satterfield after he flirted with South Carolina. Satt lost a lot of his fan base support and it never came back.

The big difference was that Satt did that early in his tenure and wasn’t straightforward with AD about what he was doing. Cost him a ton of credibility. To your question though, I don’t think it’s going to matter much to the players. It probably pisses fans off but he has too big of a buyout for him to worry about things like that.

Reactions: Sawyer
Maybe not but, sure seem like with his attitude and comments over the course of this and last year (essentially blaming the fans for not donating enough NIL money to buy players and, the childish back-and-forth with sweaty cal), that stupes is ready to move on.

Not that a message board is always indicative of the attitude of the larger fan base but, reading many of the threads since the aTm story, seems like the yut faithful feels he’s hit his ceiling and are ready to move on.

If I were to bet, I’d say he leaves uk in the next two years.

His buyout is ridiculous, so he is gonna have to pull the plug himself. Ferentz fired his son at Iowa, and he's likely a year, maybe two from retirement. I think that's where Stoops can't say no.

But yeah....pretty obvious he would rather be someplace else. When that bleeds over MORE into his coaching....well, time to go huntin'.

Maybe not but, sure seem like with his attitude and comments over the course of this and last year (essentially blaming the fans for not donating enough NIL money to buy players and, the childish back-and-forth with sweaty cal), that stupes is ready to move on.

Not that a message board is always indicative of the attitude of the larger fan base but, reading many of the threads since the aTm story, seems like the yut faithful feels he’s hit his ceiling and are ready to move on.

If I were to bet, I’d say he leaves uk in the next two years.

I agree he has pissed off the fans, especially with his NIL comments. However he has all the leverage because of his insane contract.

Someone needs to tell me which school in 2023 meets these requirements for Stupes...
  1. They will pay him a huge salary.
  2. They will give him a lifetime contract with a huge buyout.
  3. The administration, the donors, and the fans universally want him.
I don't think that school exists. We know box #3 didn't get checked off at aTm even if they met #1 and #2.

As far as the analogy of Satterfield and spoiling the milk, they're not the same. U of L wanted to retain Sattefield when he flirted with USCjr. The slappies would be fine if Stupes removed their ball and chain and bolted for somewhere else.

Don't hold your breath on that happening--ever. I'm perfectly happy with that...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Iowa is the the only place I can see it working. Big Ten money with a genuine appreciation for defense.

Look at UK schedule next year. They get Texas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Also get South Carolina and Louisville. That is brutal. You never know because of the portal but having to deal with that every year with less or equal resources is a nightmare. They could be pretty good and lose all 8 games.

Last edited:
I saw a story online that tried to say that Porky had a change of heart and turned the TAM job down.

I saw a story online that tried to say that Porky had a change of heart and turned the TAM job down.
Yep, that is the spin BBN is putting on it. According to Pat Forde, TA&M pulled their offer off the table after their overseers and big donors objected to the Stoops hire.

Reactions: Deeva
THAT is what makes perfect sense esp. in view of what he was likely gonna be paid…
There was a post on Facebook about the situation today. Cat fans are fighting each other over the TA&M fiasco. I guess a lot them are happy with 7 win seasons and playing bowl games in Tennessee.

Sure they’re fighting. Many slappies are hoping the equivalent of Cincy will someday come in to grab their coach…

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
Yep, that is the spin BBN is putting on it. According to Pat Forde, TA&M pulled their offer off the table after their overseers and big donors objected to the Stoops hire.
There is also lots of reporting that Stupes was already telling people he was going to aTm - which makes the 1am tweet about his staying for the love of being a wildyut - flat out ridiculous.

Also from the aTm side was a bit about them wanting Stupes to bring both coordinators but that Stupes couldn’t convince either coen or white to go. If that’s true - should make for an interesting coaches room…

I just read the article Texas A&M vetoes the hiring of Mark Stoops. He went around telling staff members and close associates he was leaving for Texas A&M. Then the higher ups and big money boosters said Stoops wasn’t a good enough coach for the Aggies. So Stoops has to eat crow and tell the sUcK faithful ( who are dumb enough to believe it ) that he is staying at sUcK because that is where he really wants to be.
Pulled a Charlie Strong over Tennessee. He’ll be gone the first offer that comes at a respectable university

Pulled a Charlie Strong over Tennessee. He’ll be gone the first offer that comes at a respectable university
I don’t think he will have the option, he’ll have to do more than average 7-6 like his average is now.

If you want to project the future employment options for Mark Stoops, just watch as to which QB arrives to Lexington from the Transfer Portal …….. the last 2 QBs were highly sought after, and arrived under the expectation of winning and increasing their draft status. I would say the results from just those two years (admittedly a small sample to make projections) would show mixed results, but clearly a decline that I suspect will not produce the same quality of talent this year.

With that said, if I am correct, this last UK season will be perceived by most QBs in the portal as a declining situation. Stoops was most fortunate to gain the services of Levis and Leary, doubt he will be that fortunate this recruiting cycle.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
If you want to project the future employment options for Mark Stoops, just watch as to which QB arrives to Lexington from the Transfer Portal …….. the last 2 QBs were highly sought after, and arrived under the expectation of winning and increasing their draft status. I would say the results from just those two years (admittedly a small sample to make projections) would show mixed results, but clearly a decline that I suspect will not produce the same quality of talent this year.

With that said, if I am correct, this last UK season will be perceived by most QBs in the portal as a declining situation. Stoops was most fortunate to gain the services of Levis and Leary, doubt he will be that fortunate this recruiting cycle.
I suspect most will know the real facts behind why Stupes didn’t depart for Texas A&M and I suspect he’ll be gone the first acceptable job comes available. Which I also suspect will come into play with regards to who he gets

I think that Stupes would take less than the 9M that he’s making to be the HC at Iowa. They are currently paying Ferenz 7M+ and there’s all sorts of rumors that he’s going to retire either st the end of this year or next. It would be reasonable to suggest that they might / might have to increase that somewhat to land another coach.

All that said, if Stupes couldn’t get his OC and DC to go to aTm - could he get them to go to Iowa? I think not.

• Wow
We crapped the bed last Saturday, we won’t do that again against Kentucky while JB is here. Stoops average is 7-6 at Kentucky, I don’t mind him staying honestly. Satterfield was just a bad coach, we will own the state rival again starting next year. Two costly turnovers and a kickoff return did us in.

The longer Stoops stays at sUcK the further his stock drops. If he stays because of the money and sUcK is a middle of the pack team no P5 program will want him. Then he will have to retire or go to a mid-major school for a whole lot less money.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Eventually it becomes unsustainable because being middle of the road leads to unhappiness across the board. It is basically at that point now. A portion of the fan base isn’t happy. He isn’t happy with the talent level. He will never be able to acquire enough talent to win the SEC especially once they eliminate divisions. Climb is even steeper. The Louisville game made the off-season bearable for UK.

He may have the same problem in the New Big Ten at Iowa but it at least it would be a fresh start.

I`ve read several, non UK, reports regarding the A&M situation and watched a few pod cast. All are saying the A&M board nixed the Stoops deal because he has a $45 million buyout. They had just paid Fischer $77 million to go away and didn`t want to pay Stoops buyout as well.
Others have said Stoops thought his coordinators would follow him, but they refused. White has said he loves Lexington and wants to stay there as long as possible. He turned LSU down a couple of years ago. Marrow just got married and Coen has a young wife and they just had a child, he probably didn`t want to move a 3rd time in 3 years. Even with coaches, family matters to some.
As far as Iowa is concerned, most believe if that job opens, Stoops will jump on it, if they want him.

I`ve read several, non UK, reports regarding the A&M situation and watched a few pod cast. All are saying the A&M board nixed the Stoops deal because he has a $45 million buyout...
Which makes complete sense. Why would he have left a huge buyout in his current contract for a much smaller one at aTm?

And no way in hell should he ever have had that size buyout, now or later...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT