ADVERTISEMENT

Did Petrino lose his mind?

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
The decision to go for it on 4th and 4 at their own 30 was one of the most mind-blowing ideas ever. Just utterly incomprehensible. We were only down 7-0 and he had just put in Malik. It was a recklessly desperate play. If I was the D coordinator I would’ve been f’ing pissed.

Not a bad call, however if Malik hands it off, i believe they get the 1st down.

Still no excuse for such putrid play and coaching.

The decision to go for it on 4th and 4 at their own 30 was one of the most mind-blowing ideas ever. Just utterly incomprehensible. We were only down 7-0 and he had just put in Malik. It was a recklessly desperate play. If I was the D coordinator I would’ve been f’ing pissed.

Kind of like his Fake Punt call against Georgia in the Bowl Game that put us WAY behind the Eight Ball!!!

:cool:

Reactions: genowe
Not a bad call, however if Malik hands it off, i believe they get the 1st down.

Still no excuse for such putrid play and coaching.

It wasn’t a bad call, it was horrible. Chasing a first down in that situation just made zero sense.

Reactions: H
It was a bad decision only because they failed to pick up the first down. It was risky and it turned out to be a bad decision. Still, the Cards won the game so in the end, the bad decision didn't matter.

Go CARDS!!!

It was a bad decision only because they failed to pick up the first down. It was risky and it turned out to be a bad decision. Still, the Cards won the game so in the end, the bad decision didn't matter.

Go CARDS!!!

It was a bad decision because it gave the opponent a short field and the risk/reward was way out of whack. While we won, it is relevant to discuss what Petrino’s motivation for going for it was. Little faith in defense? Wanted to spark the offense? Momentary insanity?

It was a bad decision because it gave the opponent a short field and the risk/reward was way out of whack. While we won, it is relevant to discuss what Petrino’s motivation for going for it was. Little faith in defense? Wanted to spark the offense? Momentary insanity?

Desperate

Maybe he did it because the D was on the field nearly the entire 1st Q and he was trying to maintain possession to rest them. Was probably trying to wake the team up too. It was a horrible idea. Obviously. But you did ask why he did it so maybe That's why.

honestly, bobby has made that same decision before and not out of the ordinary. one fo the old bowl games he ran michael bush on fourth from inside our 30 i think and missed it. gave up the score but ending up winning the game. sometimes even the failure ignites the team. bobby has always had that kind of mindset in going for it in odd places so no one should be surprised or question the call. been done before so should be expected. don;t be upset as you would have been calling him the old genius if the play worked

I agree it was a bad call by Bobby. And I think he acknowledged that in his post game comments.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Exactly my point. Bobby thinking negatively against WKU, especially after going on 4th down inside your own 35.
Also shows no confidence that our D wouldn’t be able to stop a 3rd string QB.
That's because they weren't, at least in the first half. The defense played better in the second half holding WKU to 3 points.

Reactions: gocds
honestly, bobby has made that same decision before and not out of the ordinary. one fo the old bowl games he ran michael bush on fourth from inside our 30 i think and missed it. gave up the score but ending up winning the game. sometimes even the failure ignites the team. bobby has always had that kind of mindset in going for it in odd places so no one should be surprised or question the call. been done before so should be expected. don;t be upset as you would have been calling him the old genius if the play worked

2004 Liberty Bowl versus Boise State.

Pretty sure he went for it this time for the same reason he went for it then: (1) he was confident it would work and (2) we were a much more talented team than our opponent, so it wouldn’t kill our chances of winning if we tried it, and it didn’t work.

Yes, he has lost his mind. Not exactly percentage football. Plain STUPID. Damn near cost us the game.

Reactions: American Male
I agree with KerryRhodes if Malik hands it off we get the 1st down. I am not paid a lot of money to coach our opponent but even I knew Malik was going to run the ball.

I thought the decision not to go for 2 points to tie the game was a bad decision. Didn’t end up costing us but if we’re up by 4, no way WKU tries a last second FG to tie. Also sent a message that we couldn’t get 3 yards against their D.
I think not converting the 4th down play made the decision not to go for 2.

I do not know if he lost his mind. But it was sure a fecal matter for brains decision!
th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT