ADVERTISEMENT

Devonte Fields Visiting the Ville

The "Second Chance" U.

It has worked and failed many times for UofL. Hopefully this is one where it works for both parties. Many will criticize the situation, but if it works out, then UofL looks like the great university and if not then here comes the lil kitty kat fans in ...........3,......2,.....1.

The staff tried to get a DT transfer from Georgia last year that had a similar situation as Fields and when asked Petrino said something to the likes of, "we will evaluate the situation and decide on whats best for the program". But personally, I dont want to be a 2nd chance island anymore.

I sure hope we pass on this guy. I'm all for 2nd chances but this guy has "bum" written all over him from what I've read. He obviously is talented but even if you believe he deserves a 2nd chance (I don't) for punching his girlfriend and pointing a gun at her head, this article about his uninspiring play in JUCO this past season should throw up all kinds of red flags. Pass.

Devonte Fields

I'm a lot more open minded when it comes to minor drug issues, but domestic violence goes way beyond my opinion of 2nd chance worthy. Not in favor of even talking to this guy.

Originally posted by Louisvillian:
I sure hope we pass on this guy. I'm all for 2nd chances but this guy has "bum" written all over him from what I've read. He obviously is talented but even if you believe he deserves a 2nd chance (I don't) for punching his girlfriend and pointing a gun at her head, this article about his uninspiring play in JUCO this past season should throw up all kinds of red flags. Pass.
There was no gun.

Victim Recants Handgun Claim

Originally posted by PushupMan:
Originally posted by Louisvillian:
There was no gun.
I stand corrected. Although it wouldn't be at all surprising if she recanted her statement to keep him from being charged with aggravated assault. Either way I hope we steer clear of this bum.

I tend to let the coaches and administration make these types of decisions. At the end of the day no one knows exactly what happened. It is up to the coaches to determine if he is worth the risk and a good fit for the program.

Louisville will have to take the more chances until they get more established with the bigger name recruits.

I know what you mean but I had to chuckle at the way you worded it: "I tend to LET THEM make the decisions", as if you've personally given them your permission to make the decision.

smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by thecycle21:
I tend to let the coaches and administration make these types of decisions. At the end of the day no one knows exactly what happened. It is up to the coaches to determine if he is worth the risk and a good fit for the program.

Louisville will have to take the more chances until they get more established with the bigger name recruits.

Bammer takes a GA player who assaulted a GF, SuCkS fans hardly
say a word.

Cards are getting a visit, and its the end of the football
World.

Yet lowery was never punished for his DUI. Decrepit fanbase.

What does the "decrepit fanbase" have to do with what happens to Lowry? Was I supposed to bench him? Like many of you guys don't like the player who is visiting...that doesn't have any impact on if he will play for UofL or not.

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:

Very talented player. Was previously Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year. Skill level is in the Lorenzo Mauldin realm. Lots of baggage though. Thoughts??

"ESPN's Max Olson reported Monday that Fields is visiting Bobby Petrino's program this weekend and that the Cardinals are "in the lead" to land the 2014 preseason Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year."
Is this the guy who punched his gf twice (the first punch missed) and because she was talking to some other dude on the phone? If so, pass.

This post was edited on 1/27 10:19 AM by Morgantown Card

Originally posted by Steelers2012:
I'm a lot more open minded when it comes to minor drug issues, but domestic violence goes way beyond my opinion of 2nd chance worthy. Not in favor of even talking to this guy.
Exactly. There's being a dumba** and then being this guy. Pass.

Originally posted by KerryRhodes:
Bammer takes a GA player who assaulted a GF, SuCkS fans hardly
say a word.

Cards are getting a visit, and its the end of the football
World.

Yet lowery was never punished for his DUI. Decrepit fanbase.
UK fans are ALWAYS going to say negative things about UofL. I stay away from talking sports with uk fans. I don't even do it. I don't go to their board, I don't talk sports with their fans, I avoid everything about them. They don't reside here in Louisville and that is how I treat them. I remember catching a blib on the radio the other day about the Vandy game the night before.....................I hadn't even known they had had a game, that's was the first I even heard about it. It appears there may even be uk fans on this thread chiming in on this. Ignore them. Don't have anything to do with them....at least as far as sports go.

Unless you have a personality type in which you actually get some thrill with always engaging them and searching out their boards and their opinion of UofL I don't know why ANY UofL fan would ever talk sports with them. If someone comes up to you and starts trying to talk with the UofL vs. UK angle I just look at them like they are crazy and then go on my why without responding.

If this kid goes to Louisville, of course they'll throw a self-righteous party on their boards. I would never go there to read it and rile myself up. I actually question the rationality and maturity level of the UofL fans that do run over there as fast as they can just so they can run back here and report it. Why would I care what they are saying, I don't even want to know.

Life is too short and I've got to many things of interest in my life to waste one millisecond talking sports with them.

Originally posted by funnycide:
UK fans got their own problems to worry about.
Right on fc. Maybe they should heed the old bible maxim of: "Let he who has not sinned....cast the first stone"......but maybe they have never read that or the bible.

Karma.......imagine that!

Originally posted by Mayoman:

Originally posted by funnycide:
UK fans got their own problems to worry about.
Right on fc. Maybe they should heed the old bible maxim of: "Let he who has not sinned....cast the first stone"......but maybe they have never read that or the bible.

Karma.......imagine that!
Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that LPT fans can read? When did this happen?

So what happens when he comes to UofL and has an All American season? Yall gonna cheer for him and treat him like one of our own or treat him like an outcast? I'm gonna put it behind me and treat him like one of our own until he screws up here. We've had pretty good success taking these kinds of student athletes.

I'm just saying because it's looking like he'll be coming here.

Originally posted by Morgantown Card:

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:

Very talented player. Was previously Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year. Skill level is in the Lorenzo Mauldin realm. Lots of baggage though. Thoughts??

"ESPN's Max Olson reported Monday that Fields is visiting Bobby Petrino's program this weekend and that the Cardinals are "in the lead" to land the 2014 preseason Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year."
Is this the guy who punched his gf twice (the first punch missed) and because she was talking to some other dude on the phone? If so, pass.

This post was edited on 1/27 10:19 AM by Morgantown Card
Close, but not quite. His former girlfriend was in the bedroom of a mutual male friend having a conversation, and he broke in and punched her.

Now, there are some subtleties to that account that you should pay attention to. First, when a boyfriend and girlfriend have recently broken up (as in this case), there is often some dispute between the two as to whether or not they are still a couple.

And a female college student in the bedroom of the apartment of a male college student having a conversation is ... well, either a conversation or something much more than that.

In the article I have linked below, it gives all of this account, and also mentions a gun - but Ms. Brown later recanted her statement about the gun.

Fields separated from TCU after assault

Originally posted by REDWAVEALERT:
So what happens when he comes to UofL and has an All American season? Yall gonna cheer for him and treat him like one of our own or treat him like an outcast? I'm gonna put it behind me and treat him like one of our own until he screws up here. We've had pretty good success taking these kinds of student athletes.

I'm just saying because it's looking like he'll be coming here.
Good point red. I hope he has learned his lesson. This is a really strange situation, and I find it best to just assume he wants to live and learn and not make the same mistake again.

This post was edited on 1/28 10:09 AM by ULCard17

For anyone interested, here is an audio link that contains an interview with a Forth Worth newspaper journalist re. Fields. It begins about 20 minutes before the end of the recording.

The LSL hosts spoke earlier about the situation and were predisposed NOT to bring this guy in. Listen for that if you want to judge for yourselves. So, they were not lobbing this guy softballs. But the journalist was pretty understanding, in my opinion, of the guy's situation. And with all due respect, he probably knows as much as or more than anyone in this thread FACTUALLY...

DerVille completely summarized my opinions probably better than I ever could. UK does not exist to me, and I have a daughter that goes there. I just box it off, you know in 10 seconds who you are talking to. They will never have respect for us. Never.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT