ADVERTISEMENT

Defense of Tom Jurich

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Another Thread addressing FSU ability to leave the ACC, included a few posts that discussed Tom Jurich, one specifically asserted that his bitterness led to his unwillingness to assist UL in the aftermath. I take exception to that, as I was invited to a conference call with personal friends of Tom and Mark shortly there after. Tom and any of those believed to be in his camp were completely non-gratis at UL a period. As most will remember, it was UL’s President, Chairman of the BOT and the majority of the BOT members who were responsible for Tom’s termination; the same ones who were equally responsible for locking Tom’s participation out of anything relative to this University.

While I am sure there were many others, I can recall Zipp, GOCDS and I were on this site expressing our support of Tom, and challenged the “Clown Show” for destroying UL’s Sports Program. Their “rush to judgement” took literally years before it was evident that infamous FBI report was full of innuendo, based entirely on hearsay and rumors to be void of any factual evidence worthy of the self inflicted punishment this University did to itself.

I do not believe in coincidences, as the CJ’s attack on Dr. Ramsey was most successful in eliminating the only UL resource willing and capable of protecting Tom’s position as AD. I am not suggesting that James Ramsey, Tom Jurich and even Rick Pitino were void of making any mistakes, as each were very powerful personalities who were success-driven. However, if anyone wants to understand why UL‘s Men’s BB program is where it is right now, it must start with recognizing the past events that led to our present condition.

Another Thread addressing FSU ability to leave the ACC, included a few posts that discussed Tom Jurich, one specifically asserted that his bitterness led to his unwillingness to assist UL in the aftermath. I take exception to that, as I was invited to a conference call with personal friends of Tom and Mark shortly there after. Tom and any of those believed to be in his camp were completely non-gratis at UL a period. As most will remember, it was UL’s President, Chairman of the BOT and the majority of the BOT members who were responsible for Tom’s termination; the same ones who were equally responsible for locking Tom’s participation out of anything relative to this University.

While I am sure there were many others, I can recall Zipp, GOCDS and I were on this site expressing our support of Tom, and challenged the “Clown Show” for destroying UL’s Sports Program. Their “rush to judgement” took literally years before it was evident that infamous FBI report was full of innuendo, based entirely on hearsay and rumors to be void of any factual evidence worthy of the self inflicted punishment this University did to itself.

I do not believe in coincidences, as the CJ’s attack on Dr. Ramsey was most successful in eliminating the only UL resource willing and capable of protecting Tom’s position as AD. I am not suggesting that James Ramsey, Tom Jurich and even Rick Pitino were void of making any mistakes, as each were very powerful personalities who were success-driven. However, if anyone wants to understand why UL‘s Men’s BB program is where it is right now, it must start with recognizing the past events that led to our present condition.
Well said and agree 100% on the events you mention. I can also vouch for your version of events, as they are factual in every way.

Really? I have been fully engaged with Coach Jeff Brohm and the upcoming football season and quite frankly have welcomed the topic of something other than Jurich and Pitino. Lets not go down that path again... Its not healthy for the program moving forward. We can't go back as much as some people want to.

The OP is 100% correct. And despite efforts to marginalize it, this will become an even more timely subject in the near future.

As U of L continues to struggle financially, there will be more focus and discussion on WHY. There will be half-baked narratives on how much damage people like Ramsey & Jurich caused, how much they've tried to undermine U of L afterward, etc. All in a vain attempt to cover over incompetence since 2016-2017.

@2330859 is on point trying to guard against people who wanna keep trying to rewrite history. And I welcome him and others to keep doing it...

The OP is 100% correct. And despite efforts to marginalize it, this will become an even more timely subject in the near future.

As U of L continues to struggle financially, there will be more focus and discussion on WHY. There will be half-baked narratives on how much damage people like Ramsey & Jurich caused, how much they've tried to undermine U of L afterward, etc. All in a vain attempt to cover over incompetence since 2016-2017.

@2330859 is on point trying to guard against people who wanna keep trying to rewrite history. And I welcome him and others to keep doing it...
And the problem is that debating history is keeping us down in the present. The current admin wants us to look backwards instead of forward.

Penn State was at rock bottom in 2011 after the Paterno scandal. They forced him and everyone else out. Sanctions like nothing we’d seen (which got overturned in the long-run) Morale and national opinion was low.

They didn’t sit on their hands. They didn’t say let’s go debate what happened. They accepted they were in a bad spot and bad people did bad things. They went and put money into hiring Bill O’Brien. They made sure they had the right man. But then after a short time, he left and they were in a bind again. They were swift and hired James Franklin. There was controversy, but they knew what he was and where he’d take them.

Penn State is still elite because they moved forward instead of backwards. People aren’t stuck on the tragic ending to the Paterno era. They’ve moved on

The reason for the debate about Tom Jurich is because of his success and the lack thereof since he’s left.

Look at it like this. TJ took a risk pushing out Denny in 2001. It was time, but it was a risk. Had we hired a bum and didn’t win, people would be clamoring for the days of Denny Crum and there would’ve been arguments. Instead, Tom moved forward and got the best coach in the game. Pitino WON big and we moved on from Denny.

The new admin hasn’t had a plan. Now I’ll give Josh some credit with being forward thinking on the NIL. I’ll give him credit for just going and bringing Jeff home. But his KP situation is awful. The baseball team not having the facilities they need is a PR nightmare. Things have to get fixed.

This is the weirdest f’n recurring post. Why does this matter so much to some people?
Simply because those who deny the past are doomed to repeat it.

Postel, Grissom, and Papa John were responsible for pushing TJ‘s firing, when all Tom asked for “was time to investigate the charges against Pitino”.

Once again, after years, the same investigation that Tom was denied, did indeed reveal much of the FBI Report was predicated on innuendo, rumor and sensationalism.

Your questioning as to why it matters, only serves as further evidence, that some folks today never understood specifically as what actually happened, who was behind it, and how it can be repeated the future.

I am not calling you and any others out who question my opinion, as you are equally entitled to your own. I would only challenge you to investigate for yourself, and see if you think UL, or this community was properly served by the actions of the aforementioned, Clown Show.

Simply because those who deny the past are doomed to repeat it.

Postel, Grissom, and Papa John were responsible for pushing TJ‘s firing, when all Tom asked for “was time to investigate the charges against Pitino”.

Once again, after years, the same investigation that Tom was denied, did indeed reveal much of the FBI Report was predicated on innuendo, rumor and sensationalism.

Your questioning as to why it matters, only serves as further evidence, that some folks today never understood specifically as what actually happened, who was behind it, and how it can be repeated the future.

I am not calling you and any others out who question my opinion, as you are equally entitled to your own. I would only challenge you to investigate for yourself, and see if you think UL, or this community was properly served by the actions of the aforementioned, Clown Show.
I don’t think that it was handled well, but it’s done and over with. It’s time to move on.

And the problem is that debating history is keeping us down in the present. The current admin wants us to look backwards instead of forward.

Penn State was at rock bottom in 2011 after the Paterno scandal. They forced him and everyone else out. Sanctions like nothing we’d seen (which got overturned in the long-run) Morale and national opinion was low.

They didn’t sit on their hands. They didn’t say let’s go debate what happened. They accepted they were in a bad spot and bad people did bad things. They went and put money into hiring Bill O’Brien. They made sure they had the right man. But then after a short time, he left and they were in a bind again. They were swift and hired James Franklin. There was controversy, but they knew what he was and where he’d take them.

Penn State is still elite because they moved forward instead of backwards. People aren’t stuck on the tragic ending to the Paterno era. They’ve moved on

The reason for the debate about Tom Jurich is because of his success and the lack thereof since he’s left.

Look at it like this. TJ took a risk pushing out Denny in 2001. It was time, but it was a risk. Had we hired a bum and didn’t win, people would be clamoring for the days of Denny Crum and there would’ve been arguments. Instead, Tom moved forward and got the best coach in the game. Pitino WON big and we moved on from Denny.

The new admin hasn’t had a plan. Now I’ll give Josh some credit with being forward thinking on the NIL. I’ll give him credit for just going and bringing Jeff home. But his KP situation is awful. The baseball team not having the facilities they need is a PR nightmare. Things have to get fixed.
Just like Indiana has never moved on from Bobby Knight and they have struggled for years becauseof it. If K Pain doesn't get it going this year he has to go and we have to find the money to move on or we're doomed..

Just like Indiana has never moved on from Bobby Knight and they have struggled for years becauseof it. If K Pain doesn't get it going this year he has to go and we have to find the money to move on or we're doomed..
Exactly-it just amazes me that people don’t get that programs are always bigger than 1 person. Fans are the worst. We constantly make comparisons that dripping with bias. I do it myself. The success and failure of Louisville athletics has always been tied to 2 programs. Let’s get those back to being great in special years and good the rest of the time. It won’t be because the administration did any special other than hire the right coach and make sure said coach has all the resources necessary.

...It won’t be because the administration did any special other than hire the right coach and make sure said coach has all the resources necessary.
And how well has that strategy worked lately?

Amazing to me how little our fans think the "administration" is supposed to accomplish...

Exactly-it just amazes me that people don’t get that programs are always bigger than 1 person. Fans are the worst. We constantly make comparisons that dripping with bias. I do it myself. The success and failure of Louisville athletics has always been tied to 2 programs. Let’s get those back to being great in special years and good the rest of the time. It won’t be because the administration did any special other than hire the right coach and make sure said coach has all the resources necessary.
Athletic administrations at all levels from elementary school to the professional level support their coaches and their athletic staff in an effort to help them have successful programs. ADs don't pick and chose whether or not they support certains coaches versus others.

Tom's gone. He did great things, more than anyone, except Denny. He did amazing things here, but the rest of us got over it. He's not walking through that door, or surprisingly, any doors. That says something. The rest of us have moved on. Sorry, 233, it's 6 been years. It's time to move on. Being associated with Dipp and Cocoa is not a good look for you.

The lawyer and posters like @Thecycle27 don’t understand why U of L is where it is. That’s why other posters such as @2330859 step up and try to educate them.

The longer people refuse that education, the longer the recovery process takes. And recovery is not even possible anymore in men’s basketball which has been permanently impaired by clown management…

Last edited:
Reactions: cocoa and 2330859
To my old friend CFBM; first things first, miss seeing you on these boards as always enjoy the exchanges.

Trust me, I moved on literally years ago and as Zipp pointed out my brief contribution was for any of those who want some further understanding as to how we got to where we are.

Poor leadership has consequences.

To my old friend CFBM; first things first, miss seeing you on these boards as always enjoy the exchanges.

Trust me, I moved on literally years ago and as Zipp pointed out my brief contribution was for any of those who want some further understanding as to how we got to where we are.

Poor leadership has consequences.
Miss those lunches.

Reactions: 2330859
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT