ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Perry

I don’t know if Pitino reached out to Perry but if he did I think it is pretty bad for him to go after our players. If Perry reached out to Pitino that would be a different story. I used the term street ball based on the comment made by Perry’s Dad not based on our current or any former coaches. I don’t ever remember anyone accusing Crum of playing street ball. Malik likes CCM so I don’t think we would have to worry about him wanting to transfer.
I have in laws that are die hard UK fans that used to refer Louisville basketball as “the word that cannot be repeated” ball! They used to say “ours, we keep under control”. Can you imagine? But that kind of thinking was very prevalent just 20years ago.

I was never a big Darius Perry fan after I saw him in a pre season scrimmage. Oh well. I do wish him well and I think we’ll be just fine.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Is he wanting more playing time or more exposure. Some of these schools being mentioned he might get more playing time but less exposure. I remember the sUcK fans calling us the blackbirds and worse but I don’t remember the street ball comments. When it comes to sUcK fans I still hear those racial slurs even regarding their own players when they have a bad game.

Darius Perry will for a long time be the image that I have when someone says how good a player looks in practice or the off season. Perry would be an All American on that basis...

Reactions: gocds
I’m not the one who continually brings him up in comparison. I’m not saying you are either. I have moved on but there is no sense in comparing just like there’s no sense in comparing Pitino and Crum.
I will ask that Pitino haters take a look from outside a fan perspective and consider him from a former players view. As far as I know, every player will concede that he was a great basketball coach, many have said the best. When he was announced as the next coach of Iona, he got nothing but well wishes from former players even those who could have held a grudge (like many of our fans). Players who had a chance to come forward much like Bobby Knight’s players who had to admit he was too physical and abusive. I trust former players who spent every day of their college lives with the man more than a fan’s perspective.
Can you give this question an honest answer? Was the level of respect for the integrity of the U of L Basketball damaged during the Pitino years? If you answered that question honestly, was Pitino’s time at U of L worth it? How so?

Russ played a lot his soph season. 22 min. Was 2nd on the team in scoring. He did sit his freshman year..... but nothing unusual about a 3 star frosh sitting, especially with Knowles, Kuric, C Smith, and Siva there.

Can you give this question an honest answer? Was the level of respect for the integrity of the U of L Basketball damaged during the Pitino years? If you answered that question honestly, was Pitino’s time at U of L worth it? How so?
So how are you making your assessment of the "level of respect for the integrity of the U of L Basketball" now? Your opinion based on what you read and hear??...

It wasn’t just the uakay fans lack of respect for UofL that irritated me, it was their obvious lack of respect for themselves. They had black players but when questioned about that they would say things like “our guys are good people whereas your guys are n’s”. Now if anyone can make any sense of this attitude please clue me in. I’ll never be a uahkay fan and I think there is still a lot of these attitudes in lessington. WTH they even said these things about UofL football players.

Reactions: PHCARD
So how are you making your assessment of the "level of respect for the integrity of the U of L Basketball" now? Your opinion based on what you read and hear??...

I think some fans have a hard time differentiating how they live their own lives and aligning that with the fundamental operation of sports, and college basketball to be more specific in this space.

For example, I do charitable work. I take care of an elderly relative. I am always willing to help teammates at work. I volunteer when new tasks are needed to be done because I know others on the team don't want to do them. I'm a doting husband. I hold doors open for women. I say bless you when people sneeze. I'm a friendly driver. I'm just an all around great guy and people like me! I could go on forever.

That said, I can't expect the same level of integrity in a system that churns out so much $. It's really just that simple. And when you start thinking about this in context, who the F has any integrity in THIS game? UNC? KU? IU? UofL? UK? How bout Baylor, they had a coach cover up murder. Sparty? Didn't those guys have some MAJOR integrity related issues with a doctor? My Lordy Lordy Northwestern had a player from our great city on their team involved in POINT SHAVING! NORTH FRIGGIN WESTERN!

It's a cess pool. Pitino wasn't running an underground drug operation. He was just reading the Race Horse Entries and enjoying celebrity life a little too much rather than keeping an eye on cogs in the system he didn't create but benefited from.

When Crum was here there was a bit of a national perception that players were ONLY here for basketball. I so remember that criticism. UofL guys didn't do good in the classroom. Remember that stuff?

Rant over! Sorry this social distancing is already getting at me everybody!

I think some fans have a hard time differentiating how they live their own lives and aligning that with the fundamental operation of sports, and college basketball to be more specific in this space.

For example, I do charitable work. I take care of an elderly relative. I am always willing to help teammates at work. I volunteer when new tasks are needed to be done because I know others on the team don't want to do them. I'm a doting husband. I hold doors open for women. I say bless you when people sneeze. I'm a friendly driver. I'm just an all around great guy and people like me! I could go on forever.

That said, I can't expect the same level of integrity in a system that churns out so much $. It's really just that simple. And when you start thinking about this in context, who the F has any integrity in THIS game? UNC? KU? IU? UofL? UK? How bout Baylor, they had a coach cover up murder. Sparty? Didn't those guys have some MAJOR integrity related issues with a doctor? My Lordy Lordy Northwestern had a player from our great city on their team involved in POINT SHAVING! NORTH FRIGGIN WESTERN!

It's a cess pool. Pitino wasn't running an underground drug operation. He was just reading the Race Horse Entries and enjoying celebrity life a little too much rather than keeping an eye on cogs in the system he didn't create but benefited from.

When Crum was here there was a bit of a national perception that players were ONLY here for basketball. I so remember that criticism. UofL guys didn't do good in the classroom. Remember that stuff?

Rant over! Sorry this social distancing is already getting at me everybody!

A really good post.

Pretty much both. No charts or grafts, lol.

...when you start thinking about this in context, who the F has any integrity in THIS game? UNC? KU? IU? UofL? UK? How bout Baylor, they had a coach cover up murder. Sparty? Didn't those guys have some MAJOR integrity related issues with a doctor?...
That was gonna be my point with Sawyer. Is he sitting on his mountaintop judging JUST U of L? Or do his standards apply to everyone?

I'm not into the "everyone else does it" line of reasoning, but I do try to be consistent applying standards of performance. If U of L sucks on this basis--which he evidently thinks--so do a lot of schools...

Last edited:
College athletics just fall into the "It is what it is" system. It's only been more visible with technological enhancements. UCLA had a bag man back in the day.

Take the $ out of it, and then we have the purity.

Darius would’ve been a great player under Rick. Rick hand picked him to be his next guy. It never happened.

DP stayed here, even when Rick was fires and came back to try a new coach. Even when Mack didn’t play him much last year, he still gave it another try this year.

He gave us 3 years and played his butt off. I hope he does go play for Rick and becomes a mid-major star.
I think the situation is a win-win. I wish Perry well.

He is a 2G that wanted to be a PG.
Yes,a combo guard, capable physically to be a point,but unwilling to truly accept what's needed from a point when asked to be that. He couldn't or wouldn't let go of his need to score when his assignment was to be the lead distributor.
I do wish him well. I appreciate the years representing the Red and Black with integrity.

That was gonna be my point with Sawyer. Is he sitting on his mountaintop judging JUST U of L? Or do his standards apply to everyone?

I'm not into the "everyone else does it" line of reasoning, but I do try to be consistent applying standards of performance. If U of L sucks on this basis--which he evidently thinks--so do a lot of schools...
Never said U of L sucked. I was just saying there was time before all the implications, allegations, etc. from the last several years that our program was viewed in a higher esteem than it is today.

Never said U of L sucked. I was just saying there was time before all the implications, allegations, etc. from the last several years that our program was viewed in a higher esteem than it is today.

In reality, UofL should be in pretty good stead because of the actions of our university over the past two to three years. Of course there will be “those” that disagree with this. But WTH it is what it is. We have new coaches at the helm of our two flagship athletic programs and maintained the leadership in baseball and women’s basketball. That is counting for positive vibes for our school regardless of what some think, or hope for. And it goes without saying that the up front leadership of our University is in good hands with Dr. Neeli Bendapudi and we are moving forward at a good clip. We shall overcome at the end of the day.

Reactions: Sawyer
In reality, UofL should be in pretty good stead because of the actions of our university over the past two to three years. Of course there will be “those” that disagree with this. But WTH it is what it is. We have new coaches at the helm of our two flagship athletic programs and maintained the leadership in baseball and women’s basketball. That is counting for positive vibes for our school regardless of what some think, or hope for. And it goes without saying that the up front leadership of our University is in good hands with Dr. Neeli Bendapudi and we are moving forward at a good clip. We shall overcome at the end of the day.

Could not agree more and hope you are right. GO CARDS!

Welcome to college basketball. Let me know if you have any other insights about U of L...

I have in laws that are die hard UK fans that used to refer Louisville basketball as “the word that cannot be repeated” ball! They used to say “ours, we keep under control”. Can you imagine? But that kind of thinking was very prevalent just 20years ago.
That’s the way all kitty fans talked about b-ball and the Cards in the late ‘70’s per my experience with them. The most racist fan base I’ve ever been exposed to.

Wanted to post on here publicly that I was given some bad info by someone who is usually spot on. Darius left on his own and wasn’t told it’s in his best interest to leave. Sorry for that but I confirmed it wasn’t true with someone directly inside the program today.

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
Mack commented that DP wants to play for someone who recruited him...

ADVERTISEMENT