ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Perry

So next year is Big 3 of DJ, Sam and Malik. Then who?

Nickleberry
Slazinsky
JJ Traynor

Who am I missing?

I buy very little of what on social media good or bad. Him transferring doesn’t surprise me one bit especially with Pitino back in the game.

So next year is Big 3 of DJ, Sam and Malik. Then who?

Nickleberry
Slazinsky
JJ Traynor

Who am I missing?
Mack has said all season that Withers has been really turning heads in practice. We do have talent on the team, hopefully the trend of peaking in November ends which is my main concern.

Possibly. Just your opinion. But there’s no question who is the better X’s and O’s strategist and motivator. He’s a HOF coach.
He’s all that as a coach. Will never argue that. Was, I say was a huge RP fan. But, he didn’t mind the store. He even admits that now. Also, the man is 67 years old. He can only do this for so long and he was just an average recruiter over the span of time he was here. Time to move on.

He’s all that as a coach. Will never argue that. Was, I say was a huge RP fan. But, he didn’t mind the store. He even admits that now. Also, the man is 67 years old. He can only do this for so long and he was just an average recruiter over the span of time he was here. Time to move on.
I’m not the one who continually brings him up in comparison. I’m not saying you are either. I have moved on but there is no sense in comparing just like there’s no sense in comparing Pitino and Crum.
I will ask that Pitino haters take a look from outside a fan perspective and consider him from a former players view. As far as I know, every player will concede that he was a great basketball coach, many have said the best. When he was announced as the next coach of Iona, he got nothing but well wishes from former players even those who could have held a grudge (like many of our fans). Players who had a chance to come forward much like Bobby Knight’s players who had to admit he was too physical and abusive. I trust former players who spent every day of their college lives with the man more than a fan’s perspective.

Bring on some grad transfers!!! I watched some clips of the kid from Quinnipiac (Kevin Marfo). I think he’s got better post moves than Enoc. I like what I see. Big body, physical. Mack’s type of player!

I would let him transfer to anywhere except Iona the last thing we should tolerate is a former coach poaching our players.

I would let him transfer to anywhere except Iona the last thing we should tolerate is a former coach poaching our players.
Man, you are old school. Mack would most likely tell you that a kid needs to go where’s he wanted and feels like he can contribute. It became more and more obvious that staying at U of L didn’t meet that criteria any more for DP. Good luck!

I look at it differently, CRP is trying to patch a winning team together quickly. I don’t think he is thinking in the best interest of the kid but rather in his own best interest.

—Darius Perry’s father tells The Athletic’s Danielle Lerner that his son is looking for a new system “that doesn’t include a straightjacket.”

Perry’s father, Eric, told The Athletic that more playing time is one motivation behind the transfer. He also said Darius didn’t mesh with Louisville’s pack-line defensive system or Mack’s coaching style. Asked what kind of system Darius is looking for, Eric replied, “One that doesn’t include a straitjacket.”

Darius would’ve been a great player under Rick. Rick hand picked him to be his next guy. It never happened.

DP stayed here, even when Rick was fires and came back to try a new coach. Even when Mack didn’t play him much last year, he still gave it another try this year.

He gave us 3 years and played his butt off. I hope he does go play for Rick and becomes a mid-major star.

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
His Dad’s comments sounded like he didn’t want to play organized ball. A pressing defense is not street ball it is organized. It’s funny how so many people on here bashed Pitino and now they say he would be a great coach to play for. Perry was bashed by people on here saying he couldn’t play defense, he played hero ball, he doesn’t have good handles, etc. Now him and Pitino are great and they wish them the best.

His Dad’s comments sounded like he didn’t want to play organized ball. A pressing defense is not street ball it is organized. It’s funny how so many people on here bashed Pitino and now they say he would be a great coach to play for. Perry was bashed by people on here saying he couldn’t play defense, he played hero ball, he doesn’t have good handles, etc. Now him and Pitino are great and they wish them the best.
Pitino is bashed on here for his questionable personal life decisions including his judgment on McGee and Fair. There’s not to many who want or can defend bashing him for his basketball knowledge and ability to motivate. As I mentioned before, I believe all of his former players believe and would not have wanted to play for anyone else. That’s the most important opinion, not mine or yours.

That is a statement that will get used against CCM though. Great athletes want to go. They want to push the ball, and get after you on d.

I, personally think it’s a lame statement. Hoping it came from his dad more than him. I understand maybe not liking or even fitting into a particular style of play but I also think if you a better than average basketball player, if you’re really good, you find a way to adjust or help the team as best you can. I’m sure DP thought he was trying but it’s obvious he didn’t buy in. McMahon is an example. It was obvious that his D was a weakness but I got to give him a A for effort. That’s how he managed to earn his minutes back. Best of luck, DP. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

“Street ball” makes me LOL. Most are too young to know or recall, but there was a time when slappies used that term to describe Denny Crum’s style of play.

I guess I’ll read “thug” at some point in this thread. Butthurt—whether a coach or player is involved—is an interesting emotion.

Someday you might be able to mention Pitino and Mack in the same sentence about true coaching ability. That day won’t be tomorrow…

I don’t know if Pitino reached out to Perry but if he did I think it is pretty bad for him to go after our players. If Perry reached out to Pitino that would be a different story. I used the term street ball based on the comment made by Perry’s Dad not based on our current or any former coaches. I don’t ever remember anyone accusing Crum of playing street ball. Malik likes CCM so I don’t think we would have to worry about him wanting to transfer.

Remember when Kevin Ware's dad said he should have started over Siva?

Speaking of Siva I miss Siva's dad!

This is the era of players moving on in college hoops, and in some cases rather quickly. Guys want a path to PT, and a pro career.

I'll be rooting for Perry wherever he ends up, and I am hoping there are no restrictions, though there could be a rule about an ACC transfer, though I'm not sure UNC got Cam Johnson from PITT a few years ago.

He's a good player. He may not have fit in with what the current staff likes to do. Most players produce more when the ball is in their hands more and their minutes don't get limited. At this level, coaches have options.

It's going to be interesting to see where DP ends up.

“Street ball” makes me LOL. Most are too young to know or recall, but there was a time when slappies used that term to describe Denny Crum’s style of play.

I guess I’ll read “thug” at some point in this thread. Butthurt—whether a coach or player is involved—is an interesting emotion.

Someday you might be able to mention Pitino and Mack in the same sentence about true coaching ability. That day won’t be tomorrow…
I think style or pace of play is a real issue for Mack. Pitino’s style/pace of play was a perfect match for Louisville. Mack defensive style is like switching from spread offense to the triple option in football. Fan bases really struggle accepting the change unless they are really good running the new scheme. Too early to tell. No learning curve for fans with Pitino there is a big learning curve with Mack.

Perry didn’t fit the style. He is a 2G that wanted to be a PG.

ADVERTISEMENT