ADVERTISEMENT

D Fox's comments

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
Would have came to Louisville if not Uk . Cause he likes the way Rick plays his guards. Why he chose Uk Cal gets you ready for the NBA. Hmm when the NBA picks a player like Skal whom obvisouly hasn't been developed by Cal and is still going to be a top 10 pick , it's hard for a kid to not be baited into the clown show

Would have came to Louisville if not Uk . Cause he likes the way Rick plays his guards. Why he chose Uk Cal gets you ready for the NBA. Hmm when the NBA picks a player like Skal whom obvisouly hasn't been developed by Cal and is still going to be a top 10 pick , it's hard for a kid to not be baited into the clown show

Markelle Fultz said the same thing. Louisville was his 2nd choice.

If I hadn’t picked my school (Washington) I would’ve gone to: “Louisville. It was just their style of play and plus they had guys leaving at the point so my spot would’ve been wide open. Plus, it’s the ACC and Coach Rick Pitino is a great coach.”

I can understand Fox and the NBA circus show up the road but Washington what's up with that one$$$$$$$$$$

Can we finally end the argument that Rick doesn't recruit one and done players?

Btw I'm glad he picked UK but if he would have went to Louisville that would have been a sick starting lineup!! Especially the defense he brings with him

I don't understand why top guards don't come to UofL. Look at Smith, Siva, Jones and Rozier were giving free reigns the last few years. And we basically press for 40 minutes. It's going to be forever for Rick to shake the notion that he doesn't play freshman. And also the fact Rick gives the quick hook as well.

AS for this whole getting ppl to the NBA I've always said it doesn't matter. Look at Ben Simmons and Ingram this year. Ingram went to a legend coach and Simmons went to LSU, going #1-2 in draft

Btw I'm glad he picked UK but if he would have went to Louisville that would have been a sick starting lineup!! Especially the defense he brings with him
Our lineup is fine as it is.

Recruiting a player that may be one and done, is totally different than turning your roster over yearly with them. Nobody said he doesn't recruit any of them.

Reactions: earsky

Only if we can also end the debate that Cal gets players ready for the NBA. Biggest farce in college basketball.

Only if we can also end the debate that Cal gets players ready for the NBA. Biggest farce in college basketball.
On that note, Kentucky has very few players left playing in the NBA playoffs. The team that had the most ex kittens (Denver) was one of (if not) the worst teams in the league.

On that note, Kentucky has very few players left playing in the NBA playoffs. The team that had the most ex kittens (Denver) was one of (if not) the worst teams in the league.

One is not related to the other. And I am guessing you meant the KINGS not the NUGGETS. I agree, the Kings are a very dysfunctional franchise... but that goes well beyond the players.

Reactions: American Male
And yet even without these players UofL has been on one of the best runs in their history with a National Championship only a few years ago. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to get a really high caliber player now and then, I'm sure every UofL fan would, but UofL has had exceptional success even while missing on these types of recruits. That's not to say that the Cards still don't get some good talent of course, but recruiting will almost always be more way more misses than not for all but a select few schools.

Last edited:
lol what?? He got Jorts and Liggins drafted who weren't on a single mock draft their entire college careers. How about Bledsoe who no one thought would be one and done and has a max contract? How about Booker who no one thought could be a one and done and is reeling off 30 points games and hit 1000 points in his rookie year? How about Ulis who will be the smallest PG taken as early in the draft since the 50's? How about Darius Miller who no one though would be drafted? How about KAT going first when Okafor was thought to have a death grip on the first pick? Now KAT is the runaway leader for rookie of the year. Coach K and Self get the exact same players but pale in comparison when comparing NBA success and draft positions. People can point to the Harrisons, Skal, and Poythress but there are 4-5 guys that were drafted higher higher than anyone expected for every player that you can point to that didn't reach expectations. Cal has his faults that can be fairly criticized but preparing kids for the NBA is not one of them and to try to is foolish

That's because most uk players are high draft picks and their teams suck. If this is 5 years from now then you would have an argument

John Wall and Cousin have been in the league 5 years
And are both on terribly disfunctional teams. I believe the Kings are also getting rid of their coach…. Again.
Look at the stats those two guys are putting up.
You should probably find a couple of different players to try to make your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: awf and Wall2Boogie
lol what?? He got Jorts and Liggins drafted who weren't on a single mock draft their entire college careers. How about Bledsoe who no one thought would be one and done and has a max contract? How about Booker who no one thought could be a one and done and is reeling off 30 points games and hit 1000 points in his rookie year? How about Ulis who will be the smallest PG taken as early in the draft since the 50's? How about Darius Miller who no one though would be drafted? How about KAT going first when Okafor was thought to have a death grip on the first pick? Now KAT is the runaway leader for rookie of the year. Coach K and Self get the exact same players but pale in comparison when comparing NBA success and draft positions. People can point to the Harrisons, Skal, and Poythress but there are 4-5 guys that were drafted higher higher than anyone expected for every player that you can point to that didn't reach expectations. Cal has his faults that can be fairly criticized but preparing kids for the NBA is not one of them and to try to is foolish
Some of these examples are ridiculous. "He got X drafted" is not the same thing as preparing them for the NBA. If it were, Jorts wouldn't be in Latvia and Liggins wouldn't be the D-league's elder statesman. Crediting cow with Bledsoe's Max contract seems like a huge stretch - probably more accurate to say that he's responsible for his online Algebra III grade...

Bottom line is, cow gets WAY more 5 stars than anyone and in terms of equal billing - for every Davis that he is "responsible" for their success, there is a Harrison where he is "responsible" for their failure.

I'm still laughing at the "No one said we don't recruit one and done players." Haha I'm not gonna waste my time but it has been on this board several times.
We recruited Teague, Davis.....

Why are some of you not able to comprehend that we are talking about a roster full of one and done players, compared to a veteran team with one or two one and done players?

Reactions: Cue Card and earsky
Why are some of you not able to comprehend that we are talking about a roster full of one and done players, compared to a veteran team with one or two one and done players?
I've been trying to explain the difference over here for years.Some really don't understand the difference between the two philosophies.

Reactions: rockycard

Just stop it. You know damn well most of whom Cal gets could have gone anywhere and still would have had the same NBA success. And who the fvck is Jorts? That goofy dude who practiced against Patterson, Cousins, and Kanter? I'm sure that really hurt his game. I hear he's doing well in Latvian league, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
The farce that any coach "develops" or hinders the stock of one and dones is laughable. Some guys excel in their one year in college, and some guys are exposed - which is exactly why the NBA has the one year rule in place, to save them from making a costly mistake like drafting a Harrison, or a Selby, or a Blackshear, or a Poythress in the lottery. Some coaches get a lot more 5 star talent than others, and as such, they have more misses than others - simple math. As a whole, if you look at the RSCI rankings every year, at least half of the top 15 guys could be labeled underachievers in college.

Guys like Towns, Davis, Okafor, J. Parker, Wiggins...those guys are getting drafted regardless of what they do in one year in school. What they do after they get drafted has NOTHING to do with anything their college coach might have taught them. You can't teach size, quickness, talent, work ethic. Those are things you are born with or without. Four years with Coach K isn't going to make a 6'7" PF 7 feet tall.

Cal is no more responsible for Davis being an all NBA talent than Self is for Wiggins, or K for Parker, etc. Same thing applies on the opposite side. Self didn't ruin Selby, Cal didn't hinder the Harrisons, and Roy didn't hurt JMM. Those guys simply got exposed once they got to college.

Last edited:
Just stop it. You know damn well most of whom Cal gets could have gone anywhere and still would have had the same NBA success. And who the fvck is Jorts? That goofy dude who practiced against Patterson, Cousins, and Kanter? I'm sure that really hurt his game. I hear he's doing well in Latvian league, btw.

I generally agree with you on this one, but Harrellson did make over 1.7 million dollars in just 3 NBA seasons and I'm sure he's doing ok financially overseas.

Again, I don't think Cal had much to do with it, but he's done pretty well for a goofy dude.

2011-12 New York KnicksNBA$473,604
2012-13 Miami HeatNBA$354,197
2013-14 Detroit PistonsNBA$884,293
Career(may be incomplete) $1,712,094

Reactions: awf
I generally agree with you on this one, but Harrellson did make over 1.7 million dollars in just 3 NBA seasons and I'm sure he's doing ok financially overseas.

Again, I don't think Cal had much to do with it, but he's done pretty well for a goofy dude.

Good for him.

Reactions: JohnKBA

I could get by on that!

Reactions: Steelers2012
And are both on terribly disfunctional teams. I believe the Kings are slso getting rid of their coach…. Again.
Look at the stats those two guys are putting up.
You should probably find a couple of different players to try to make your point.[/QUOTE

The point is after 5 years in the league a top draft pick should be able to AT LEAST get his team to the playoffs. MJ's 5th season he had the bulls in the Conference Finals, LeBron has the Cavs in the conference finals in 5 years, Kevin Durant had his team in the conference finals by his 5th year, Dwight Howard got his team to the NBA finals within 5 years.

The disfuncation is caused by cussing out your coach as John Wall has done, or just being an all around punk as Cosuins has been.

Excuse me but CRP coached him in basketball, not how to manage money. That was UK's responsibility along with walker...

Of course it was, what was I thinking. Had Walker attended U of L I suppose he'd have a portfolio right now that Warren Buffett would be jealous of.

Sorry walker would not have played for coach Crum. Walker was kicked off the UK team 3 times his freshman year because he didn't buy into the team thing. Sound familiar? Walter McCarty has even said that CRP has changed since coming back from the pros. He's more personal with the players and more hands on. As McCarty put it you didn't hear from Pitino unless you were in trouble. I think 911 also was a factor plus getting older and wiser.

Reactions: JohnKBA

I don't know that Rick doesn't recruit one and dones. I do know that one and dones don't want to come here. Oh, but that's OK since the done and ones want to come here. :(

I think the approach Pitino uses recruiting OAD talent is different. He recruits the OAD players he feels fits his style of coaching, but he doesn't want a roster full, and he sure doesn't want any type of out of control ego that might be bigger than his own on the roster. That means his pool of OAD players to recruit from is small to start with. Then on top of all that, his #1 demand from any recruit is they play hard on defense. Most OAD players aren't interested in doing that. Most want their stage to shine for their own 15 second clip on ESPN. That means offense. Not defense.

I'm fine with his approach. He's been very successful with it and his record proves it.

Some of these examples are ridiculous. "He got X drafted" is not the same thing as preparing them for the NBA. If it were, Jorts wouldn't be in Latvia and Liggins wouldn't be the D-league's elder statesman. Crediting cow with Bledsoe's Max contract seems like a huge stretch - probably more accurate to say that he's responsible for his online Algebra III grade...

Bottom line is, cow gets WAY more 5 stars than anyone and in terms of equal billing - for every Davis that he is "responsible" for their success, there is a Harrison where he is "responsible" for their failure.
How is he responsible for the Harrison's failure?

He's not responsible for any of them. If they didn't have to wait a year they would all be in the NBA a year earlier. If he was that great of a coach his players at Memphis would have entered the NBA at the same rate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT