ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of thoughts from Spring Game

Nicksorrell

2500+
Staff
May 16, 2020
Mount Washington, Ky
Rewatched the spring game this morning. here are a few thoughts — for those into that kinda thing.

DEFENSE

- Still want to add the Oregon transfer, but I kinda like our linebackers tbh. Stanquan is going to be a ****ing stud. TJ Quinn and Jackson Hamilton looked really good too. More speed at ILB than we’ve had in forever.

- Defense as a whole played fast and aggressive. Also rarely seemed lost in coverage (as was so common during Brown’s tenure). Considering this is a new system, that’s a good sign.

- Biggest thing that jumped out? The way they swarmed to the ball and gang tackled.

- Building upon the above, very excited by the fact the defense looked great despite missing 4 big contributors (Minkins, Riley, Reiger, and MGK).

- Even with Lole being out with elbow surgery, I really like our top 3 at DT. Thomas is going to be good. Adding a transfer makes sense though.

- Noticed they dropped the Leo defensive end into coverage a couple times. Small detail and idk how often they do it in regular games, but was cool to see.

- DBs didn’t jump out a ton to me. But this is a good thing. Good coverage across the board, flew to the ball, challenged passes, and were willing to hit.

OFFENSE

- As for the offense, according to someone close to the team, they only showed about 25% of the playbook. For those curious.

- Jack looks so effortless throwing the ball. But I really feel his success comes down to being kept clean. No surprise. And like most QBs in that sense. But man, he throws a pretty ball.

- As no surprise to anyone, offensive line needs help. I don’t hate the 1’s. But I don’t really trust anyone on the second team. Need at least 1 full time starter and a depth/utility guy.

- We def need a tight end transfer. Unless Jamari gets up to speed by fall. Lifson isn't terrible but he can't be your number 1.

- Speaking of Jamari, his talent is obvious. But just as obvious is the fact he’s still behind in the playbook and needs to drop a little weight. Will be fun to watch those things develop.

- Thrash, Coleman, AHB, and Calloway clear top 4 at WR as things currently stand.

- Would imagine Chris Bell or Fowles steps up and gives us a big target. Really strong top 5/6 receivers. Again, maybe the best group we’ve had here since maybe Teddy’s days.

- I knew Calloway was shifty (not a ton of long speed) but man he has way more shift than I realized.

- I assume they were limiting Jaws touches for some reason. But he and turner will be a deadly duo.

- Guerendo didn’t look as bad to me as I expected based on what some said. He just never had any space. Played well despite that, I thought.

- Oh, final thought: I loved the scoring format. Thought it was really fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News