ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Head Coach Salaries

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Bobby Petrino is getting paid top 25 money. Where is the top 25 program?...
You mean today or historically? His paycheck wasn't calculated this past week.

Since Petrino's arrival, U of L has the 2nd best record in one of the five best conferences in the country. That smells more like Top 20 or Top 15 to me.

Is Florida State one of the best football programs in the country?...

Reactions: kl40504

Since Petrino's arrival, U of L has the 2nd best record in one of the five best conferences in the country. That smells more like Top 20 or Top 15 to me.

FSU has won a Title and has a playoff appearance. Try again

Give it up dude, you're really looking like a clown.

I'm fairly sure FSU fans aren't all that thrilled with paying Taggart 5 million a year for the product he's produced either. At least they have the name to get 4 and 5 star recruits so he has a chance to turn things around. Maybe.

Petrino is in his 5th year. This shitshow is his and only his. Hope he turns it around, but I am not very optimistic.

IDK. Maybe. If he is then maybe he can light a fire under his ass to start acting like Bobby Petrino 1.0. The 2.0 version sucks.

Its what separates good coaches from great coaches.

Petrino 2.0 has been humbled and ridiculed. He's got a ridiculously lucrative contract that he knows will keep him wealthy the rest of his life regardless of how many games he wins. Every coach in the game today seems to be an offensive guru and he's not "special" or different.

Petrino 1.0 was an arrogant, ornery, balls to the wall offensive guru with a boulder sized chip on his shoulder and a desire to win and prove himself to the world of college football.

There are at least 10 and maybe as many as 15 top 25 programs without playoff appearances or titles, so why after just four years in a Power5 conference, are you holding Bobby Petrino to a standard that isn't the same as everyone else?

Why did UofL join the ACC. To wear the patch.

You compete for Conference Titles in ALL sports, not just the non revenue sports..

Were no longer happy with 9 wins and a bowl loss. Its time to take it to the next level.
Petrino was rehired to everyone's (save me)
expectations of competing for the conference title, which eventually would lead to the playoffs.

After Coach Mack establishes his program the expectations are Conference Titles and a Final Four caliber team once every 4 years. He cant go ten years without a FF. The fans will question him and desire a coach who can. Every Final Four, buys you time and keeps the fans happy.

Had Petrino won 10 games and gone to the Orange bowl in 2016, youd have none of these threads.

Last season, beat BC at home ( Cards were 27 point favorites) beat WF and Miss st who didn't have a HC or full staff, thats 11 wins, end the season ranked, ranked to start the season

Thats back to back seasons of 10, 11 wins.
He probably gets an extension and it gets him SOME leeway to have an off season. No losing seasons, thats unacceptable.

However he didnt, now he has to sit in his own mess.

In summation, to echo the OP. He's getting paid top 25 money, but only producing a top 75 product. Unacceptable.

Reactions: Cue Card
Why did UofL join the ACC. To wear the patch.

You compete for Conference Titles in ALL sports, not just the non revenue sports..

Were no longer happy with 9 wins and a bowl loss. Its time to take it to the next level.
Petrino was rehired to everyone's (save me)
expectations of competing for the conference title, which eventually would lead to the playoffs.

After Coach Mack establishes his program the expectations are Conference Titles and a Final Four caliber team once every 4 years. He cant go ten years without a FF. The fans will question him and desire a coach who can. Every Final Four, buys you time and keeps the fans happy.

Had Petrino won 10 games and gone to the Orange bowl in 2016, youd have none of these threads.

Last season, beat BC at home ( Cards were 27 point favorites) beat WF and Miss st who didn't have a HC or full staff, thats 11 wins, end the season ranked, ranked to start the season

Thats back to back seasons of 10, 11 wins.
He probably gets an extension and it gets him SOME leeway to have an off season. No losing seasons, thats unacceptable.

However he didnt, now he has to sit in his own mess.

In summation, to echo the OP. He's getting paid top 25 money, but only producing a top 75 product. Unacceptable.

Looking at Petrino's record, which is 21-13 in ACC games, and calling THAT top 75 is an absolutely ridiculous take! For one thing, there are only 65 Power5 teams in college football, so 21-13 over Petrino's v2.0's tenure is without any doubt TOP 25.

Your take is the type of impatient fan Bull-ish that results in coaches being fired every three years and/or hunting for the bigger job - resulting in no continuity in a program nor a commitment to building the program for the future. We've been dealing with that crap since 1995, and I'm tired of it.

You don't want him here, that's fine. Maybe you want Brohm in here or somebody else - I don't know. Brohm has proven to be a good football coach, but his record does not match what Petrino has done to date - not even close. He's won a watered down CUSA a couple of times (against schools like FIU and FAU instead of USF, Cincinnati, and Memphis), and he's taken Purdue to a bowl game by going 6-6 last year.

We're not in the Big East anymore, where there are 7 other programs and the best one is West Virginia. We are in the ACC, where in a given year we have to beat Clemson, Florida State, Miami AND Virginia Tech, plus whichever one of 9 other schools (all who are serious about playing football and spend in excess of $20 million on the sport annually), is having a great year. That's both the strength and weakness of being in a 14-team Power5 league as opposed to 8-team Big East or 11-team CUSA) - you have to get past many more good teams to actually win a championship.

We will get there again (competing for a title with Clemson and Florida State), when our QB's start executing Petrino's offense like it should be. The plays are there - Pass and/or Cunningham just need to see them and deliver the ball on target.

Last edited:
Was just curious about this, so I went back and checked the information in the media guide.

In the 91 seasons of UofL football where Petrino was not our head coach, UofL was ranked by either the coaches poll or the AP 74 times. That includes preseason and postseason rankings....

1972: 4 (Corso)
1990: 7 (Schnellenberger)
1993: 10 (Schnellenberger)
2000: 7 (Smith)
2001: 8 (Smith)
2002: 1 (Smith)
2007: 4 (Kragthorpe)
2012: 16 (Strong)
2013: 17 (Strong)

Petrino's Rankings:
2003: 1
2004: 14
2005: 14
2006: 15
2014: 8
2016: 16
2017: 6

In the 9 seasons where Petrino has been our coach, we have ALSO been ranked by either the coaches or the AP 74 times.

And finally, in our history, we've achieved a top 10 ranking in one poll or the other (or both) 36 times. 26 of those times are under Petrino, and 10 of those were during the Petrino V2 years, with the other 16 being during 2004 (once), 2005 (5 times), and 2006 (10 times).

So I'd like to ask each and every one of you to look at this record and explain to me why we should replace this man for going 2-3 to start a season?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way....

Reactions: teamcanada
Was just curious about this, so I went back and checked the information in the media guide.

In the 91 seasons of UofL football where Petrino was not our head coach, UofL was ranked by either the coaches poll or the AP 74 times. That includes preseason and postseason rankings....

1972: 4 (Corso)
1990: 7 (Schnellenberger)
1993: 10 (Schnellenberger)
2000: 7 (Smith)
2001: 8 (Smith)
2002: 1 (Smith)
2007: 4 (Kragthorpe)
2012: 16 (Strong)
2013: 17 (Strong)

Petrino's Rankings:
2003: 1
2004: 14
2005: 14
2006: 15
2014: 8
2016: 16
2017: 6

In the 9 seasons where Petrino has been our coach, we have ALSO been ranked by either the coaches or the AP 74 times.

And finally, in our history, we've achieved a top 10 ranking in one poll or the other (or both) 36 times. 26 of those times are under Petrino, and 10 of those were during the Petrino V2 years, with the other 16 being during 2004 (once), 2005 (5 times), and 2006 (10 times).

So I'd like to ask each and every one of you to look at this record and explain to me why we should replace this man for going 2-3 to start a season?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way....
Because they all think Brohm is going to come in and we are suddenly going to be Alabama.

Looking at Petrino's record, which is 21-13 in ACC games, and calling THAT top 75 is an absolutely ridiculous take! For one thing, there are only 65 Power5 teams in college football, so 21-13 over Petrino's v2.0's tenure is without any doubt TOP 25.

Your take is the type of impatient fan Bull-ish that results in coaches being fired every three years and/or hunting for the bigger job - resulting in no continuity in a program nor a commitment to building the program for the future. We've been dealing with that crap since 1995, and I'm tired of it.

You don't want him here, that's fine. Maybe you want Brohm in here or somebody else - I don't know. Brohm has proven to be a good football coach, but his record does not match what Petrino has done to date - not even close. He's won a watered down CUSA a couple of times (against schools like FIU and FAU instead of USF, Cincinnati, and Memphis), and he's taken Purdue to a bowl game by going 6-6 last year.

We're not in the Big East anymore, where there are 7 other programs and the best one is West Virginia. We are in the ACC, where in a given year we have to beat Clemson, Florida State, Miami AND Virginia Tech, plus whichever one of 9 other schools (all who are serious about playing football and spend in excess of $20 million on the sport annually), is having a great year. That's both the strength and weakness of being in a 14-team Power5 league as opposed to 8-team Big East or 11-team CUSA) - you have to get past many more good teams to actually win a championship.

We will get there again (competing for a title with Clemson and Florida State), when our QB's start executing Petrino's offense like it should be. The plays are there - Pass and/or Cunningham just need to see them and deliver the ball on target.

Thats now 21-14 and its keep dropping .
By next year, if this clown is still here, it will be .500.

But youre satisfied with 8, 9 wins, so you keep on accepting his descending coaching.

Sure he had past success no one argues that but were not here to be content with past successes. Bringing up the past as a way to justify this train wreck is comical at best

I'd be satisfied with a 8-9 win season if during any of them during CBP 2 we got better as the season progressed. The only season we got better throughout was Jacksons freshman year. We carried them improvements into the next year and we very good early.

These are Bobby's players, it should be bowl game or bust.

I'd be satisfied with a 8-9 win season if during any of them during CBP 2 we got better as the season progressed. The only season we got better throughout was Jacksons freshman year. We carried them improvements into the next year and we very good early.

These are Bobby's players, it should be bowl game or bust.

Do you see 9 wins anytime soon.

This car should go to the scrap heap.
It cant be rebuilt.

...Petrino 2.0...got a ridiculously lucrative contract that he knows will keep him wealthy the rest of his life regardless of how many games he wins...
"Ridiculously lucrative" is what Harbaugh gets paid. Petrino's nowhere near that

Your not liking the amount doesn't change any of that...

Reactions: swurv99
"Ridiculously lucrative" is what Harbaugh gets paid. Petrino's nowhere near that

Your not liking the amount doesn't change any of that...

Zipp.... its $13 or $14 million will all kinds of dumb bonuses built into it. The fact that there are contracts that are more lucrative doesn't make Petrino's not lucrative.

Last edited:
Zipp.... its $13 or $14 million will all kinds of dumb bonuses built into it. The fact that there are contracts that are more lucrative doesn't make Petrino's not lucrative.
High profile coaches have big buyouts. Would you like me to start that list?...

High profile coaches have big buyouts. Would you like me to start that list?...

Again...doesn't make Petrino's not lucrative. The point of the original statement was simply he has a truck load of money coming to him and he knows he doesn't have to work again. Doesn't matter whose contract is more lucrative. Jurich gave him the premature extension as a way to show the college football world he wasn't going anywhere and it blew up in his face.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Again...doesn't make Petrino's not lucrative. The point of the original statement was simply he has a truck load of money coming to him and he knows he doesn't have to work again. Doesn't matter whose contract is more lucrative. Jurich gave him the premature extension as a way to show the college football world he wasn't going anywhere and it blew up in his face.
Do other coaches with bigger buyouts work less hard than Petrino? His 2016 extension was just before Lamar blew up on the national scene. Damn good thing Jurich acted in advance.

And you're driving with your rear view mirror again...

Give it up dude, you're really looking like a clown.
wTbqhvAM79wMU.gif

He isnt going anywhere. His buyout is to high and the university isnt going to want to swallow that kind of money. He is at least here 2 more years. We can complain all we want but he deserves a year or two to fix this. Plus im not sure who you can get better without paying at least $6million a year which i dont think the new regime is trying to do.

Reactions: zipp
No one (1% is close enough) envisioned Petrino's demise, if that's what we're starting to witness.

For those rewriting history to imply that is comical...

I don’t think so. The problem is that Zipp sees any attack on Petrino as a swipe at TJ. Hero worship.
More mischaracterization.

I've never said Jurich was a saint; he made mistakes too. Petrino's contract extension wasn't one of them...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT