ADVERTISEMENT

Colburn news spreading

Originally posted by Straight Scope:
On this, or possibly other threads on this site about this subject, I have read several times that Podunk U did something just as bad to Elmer Fudd 20 years ago, so that makes it OK for Louisville today. By taking that defense Louisville fans don't seem to know it, but they are screaming that what was done in this case was wrong.
Thanks for your opinion. If it was wrong to ask a prospective student athlete to greyshirt, then the NCAA would outlaw the practice. Instead, they have made a rule that schools may accept no more than 28 NLI's during the signing period. Which means that the NCAA is sanctioning that EACH school may sign as many as THREE greyshirts each year.

So while your opinion is noted, it is very much debatable as to whether what UofL asked this young man to do was wrong.

The Louisville coaches admit they changed their minds, reneged, and gave the scholarship to someone else. That's not even up for debate. He didn't change his mind about anything.
In this case, you are wrong. First off, he had a scholarship available to him from our coaches beginning in January 2016, which he declined to accept. And second, we have not given "his scholarship" to anyone else yet: we actually still have 2015 scholarships available. Since we had two defensive backs graduate and three others declare early for the NFL draft, and since Matt Colburn is 5-8 and does not play the defensive back position, we need to keep spots open for transfers and late qualifiers (like James Sample last year) who can play that position.

It's called effective roster management, something Petrino does a great job at. If Matt Colburn and his coach had taken the time to understand that aspect of this situation instead of having a hissy fit, Matt could have had the good sense to sign with us on Feb 4th.

You accept a job for $100,000 for the first year and when you show up for work you're told your pay will be $10,000. You say no way, and they say you had a change of heart. Not a change of heart to me. You just got lucky and found out early that you were dealing with a bunch of (what ever you want to call them, but nothing good).
This is a pretty bizarre analogy. The analogy I like is the one where UofL was offering Matt Colburn the opportunity to play football and get a free education. Meanwhile, my son and I are paying $65,000 (not counting his student loan interest) for him to be able to get the same bachelor's degree. Making Matt Colburn out to be some kind of victim in all of this because he was asked to delay his enrollment at the school by five months is simply ridiculous. He's as much of a victim as I am when I go to the store and have to buy Neopolitan ice cream, when I actually wanted chocolate.

U of L definitely did "drop" him, sadly they (and the vast majority of their fans) just don't see anything wrong with what they did. And repeatedly saying they didn't doesn't change those facts. They reneged big time, and the representatives of the football program don't really deny it.
Depends on your definition of "drop". If by "drop" you mean "offered a greyshirt", then yes we dropped him.

However, the more conventional definition of "drop" is that he no longer had a scholarship offer with us. We actually did have at least two commits who we dropped - Troy Thingstad and TJ Yallow (I think those names are right). Our coaches actually liked Colburn enough to not drop him entirely - so we offered him the greyshirt option.

I have no dog in this fight. I had no respect for U of L to begin with. I just like to brag when I am proven right, and my lack of respect is confirmed.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hear that therapy helps in these cases. You might try it.

...The Louisville coaches admit they changed their minds, reneged, and gave the scholarship to someone else. That's not even up for debate. He didn't change his mind about anything.

...Strange how things work out. Now he gets to go to a "class" school.

I have no dog in this fight. I had no respect for U of L to begin with. I just like to brag when I am proven right, and my lack of respect is confirmed.

You never heard me use "the other guy is doing it" argument. I agree that doesn't justify anything.

BUT you're misrepresenting--or just lying about it, if that's your intent--what U of L did. The kid still had a scholarship offer, and both sides reported that. He just didn't want it.

And nobody, least of whom me, gives a damn what you think about U of L. You invited yourself to this discussion.

LPT Football: Never invited...

The only FACT that matters is Louisville reneged on their commitment and screwed this kid. If you're OK with that, then so be it.

I'm sorry my simple analogy was too much for you.

The only FACT that matters is Louisville reneged on their commitment and screwed this kid. If you're OK with that, then so be it... That's your SPIN on a fact. The FACT is the kid had a U of L scholly offer until he signed with someone else...

"I'm sorry my simple analogy was too much for you"

And we're all sorry that your simple mind can't understand how simply stupid your ignorant attempt at a simple analogy really is.

Really!

Now please go away dolt...

Go Cards!

Never seen so many people so quick to call the TRUTH a LIE. If somebody disagrees with you then they are automatically a LIER. Comes across as being simple minded.

U of L made a decision and then they changed their mind. This is not rocket science. It's low brow, but it happens. I guess the truth is unbearable to people. The facts are the facts, I am not spinning anything. To the contrary, it appears many U of L fans are squirming trying to cover up the simple FACTS. I think it's sad.

Nobody here called you a LIER, that's for sure.

And that tells me all I need to know about how much more time I need to spend responding to your posts.

The only FACT tymatters is Louisville reneged on their commitment and screwed this kid. If you're OK with that, then so be it.

I'm sorry my simple analogy was too much for you.
I OK with anything that gets you upset scope. In fact, if you have some family members UofL could kick to the curb please send them our way.

Originally posted by UofLHouse:

Originally posted by johngault:
1-he never turned down the scholarship offer. That is the point. He was offered, he accepted and then he shut down the recruiting process.
2-grayshirting is not the same as a schorship and we all know that.
3-just because it happens "all the time" does not make it right
You are wrong on #2 and therefore you are also wrong on #1.

Grayshirt is a full ride offer with delayed entrance until the Spring semester. Colburn rejected the delay, and thereby rejected a full ride scholarship to UofL. That's fine. It's his right to do that, but I find it a bit ridiculous that it is being reported that CBP "pulled" the offer. He asked the kid to delay entrance for one semester - a semester he would have redshirted anyways.

Sometimes you have to take one for the team, like delaying entrance so scholarships work out as the staff looks for players who can make an impact at positions of need. You can either choose to be a team player and still come, or choose to get your undies in a wad because of pride and look elsewhere.

Also, to #1, he could have and probably should have taken all 5 official visits. Then he would have had a back up plan if there was a scholarship crunch. Why didn't his advisors tell him to do this? Situations with schools and recruits change all the time. Not taking visits and not exploring options is just short sighted on his advisors part.

Bottom line is if Colburn really wanted to come here then there was a scholarship waiting for him in January. All this selective, feigned outrage over the situation is ridiculous.
VERY well said. If you had thrown in some nuggets about self-endulgent, self entitled, arrogant kids and parents, you would have totally nailed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT