ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel in gear

Good thing they’re further away from southeastern. Then again you never know what the chain reactions will be. 😒

Reactions: gocds
The SEC is extremely impatient with coaches. Dan Mullen maybe next if they get smoked by Georgia which is a real possibility.

As always it will be interesting to watch.

It is a huge mistake for ADs and fan bases to terminate coaches based upon a few games, or even a couple of seasons that disappoint or fail to meet higher expectation. Urban Myers and Tim Tebow are not walking through the Gainesville door anytime soon, and those Gator fans expecting Mullins to duplicate that success are foolish.

Charlie Strong and Teddy Bridgewater brought some incredible success to UL, and as a follow up, we got to witness the special talent of Lamar Jackson ……. It should be clear that whatever positive reputation that Strong and Petrino enjoyed from “those good moments”, it was a lot more about their respective uber talented QB performances, than it was about their HC skills.

Not to take anything away from Luke Fickell, but Desmond Ritter is responsible for a great deal of the UC coaches’s top 5 success. Ritter has managed to stay healthy and perform to levels well beyond anyone’s expectations ……… something even Fickell cannot take credit for recruiting Desmond to Cincinnati.

Stoops made enough bad decisions during his tenure as HC at UK to be fired during those early years; now he looks like the next Bear Bryant to some casual observers. It’s a credit that Mitch turned a deaf ear to those calling for Mark to be fired. Instead of finding a great QB, Stoops found a recruiter capable of signing the level of talent that could compete in the SEC. Vince Marrow is gifted at identifying HS talent, and having the ability to sell himself and UK to signing those recruits.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
It is a huge mistake for ADs and fan bases to terminate coaches based upon a few games, or even a couple of seasons that disappoint or fail to meet higher expectation. Urban Myers and Tim Tebow are not walking through the Gainesville door anytime soon, and those Gator fans expecting Mullins to duplicate that success are foolish.

Charlie Strong and Teddy Bridgewater brought some incredible success to UL, and as a follow up, we got to witness the special talent of Lamar Jackson ……. It should be clear that whatever positive reputation that Strong and Petrino enjoyed from “those good moments”, it was a lot more about their respective uber talented QB performances, than it was about their HC skills.

Not to take anything away from Luke Fickell, but Desmond Ritter is responsible for a great deal of the UC coaches’s top 5 success. Ritter has managed to stay healthy and perform to levels well beyond anyone’s expectations ……… something even Fickell cannot take credit for recruiting Desmond to Cincinnati.

Stoops made enough bad decisions during his tenure as HC at UK to be fired during those early years; now he looks like the next Bear Bryant to some casual observers. It’s a credit that Mitch turned a deaf ear to those calling for Mark to be fired. Instead of finding a great QB, Stoops found a recruiter capable of signing the level of talent that could compete in the SEC. Vince Marrow is gifted at identifying HS talent, and having the ability to sell himself and UK to signing those recruits.
Fickell and Ridder entered UC at the same time. Fickell did not recruit him, correct, but he's molded and coached up a former 2* recruit rather well.

Reactions: PHCARD
Apparently, Coach O had his burro hitched to just about every bed post in town. Between coaching football and chasing tail, he was a very busy man.

I love the story about Coach O hitting on a pregnant booster's wife while she was pumping gas.....adn the stories about bringing moms and their kids into their complex, and he'd send the kids off to work out with his team while he was "working out" with the moms. LOL. Granted if LSU was in the CFP discussion their AD would not give a damn but Coach O showing his "O Face" to every woman he sees pumping gas or whatever is just giving your employee a reason to fire you when they need one. I mean, come on dude, think a little bit.

My son had a couple of friends that played at Ole Miss when O was an assistant down there, they left because of him they said he was a really wired guy. They said at practice he would strip down to his jockeys and challenge players to wrestle him. The guy has a lot of issues going on.

My son had a couple of friends that played at Ole Miss when O was an assistant down there, they left because of him they said he was a really wired guy. They said at practice he would strip down to his jockeys and challenge players to wrestle him. The guy has a lot of issues going on.
What? That’s weird very weird

CardX

I give Luke Fickell plenty of credit for his accomplishments at UC, as well as his development of Ridder at QB. However, those in and around UC football will tell you that Ridder was pretty special when he arrived on campus. True, he was just a 2 Star recruit out of St X., but there is a good reason he received a full scholarship by UC.

I think Ridder serves as an excellent example of just how negligent, and frankly dysfunctional that Bobby Petrino was when it came to his lack of relationship with HS coaches in Jefferson County. I had friends that follow St X HS football who told me that Ridder started to show D1 skills and the potential as his Senior year developed.

Back to Fickell ……..his reputation for recruiting talent is one of those subtle difference makers for a HC. If UC can keep Luke there, we will need to become accustomed to seeing UC as a powerhouse football program in the years to come.

Reactions: PHCARD and Mayoman
CardX

I give Luke Fickell plenty of credit for his accomplishments at UC, as well as his development of Ridder at QB. However, those in and around UC football will tell you that Ridder was pretty special when he arrived on campus. True, he was just a 2 Star recruit out of St X., but there is a good reason he received a full scholarship by UC.

I think Ridder serves as an excellent example of just how negligent, and frankly dysfunctional that Bobby Petrino was when it came to his lack of relationship with HS coaches in Jefferson County. I had friends that follow St X HS football who told me that Ridder started to show D1 skills and the potential as his Senior year developed.

Back to Fickell ……..his reputation for recruiting talent is one of those subtle difference makers for a HC. If UC can keep Luke there, we will need to become accustomed to seeing UC as a powerhouse football program in the years to come.
I really wish we'd made a push for Fickell in 2018 before he blew up, because I really think we could've gotten him then.

As for coach O?

$17 million buyout and he brought them a national title? Seems like life has worked out fine for him. He can now do whatever he wants. All the TV networks will beg for him to be on their network or some staff will get him on to recruit/motivate.

I really wish we'd made a push for Fickell in 2018 before he blew up, because I really think we could've gotten him then.

As for coach O?

$17 million buyout and he brought them a national title? Seems like life has worked out fine for him. He can now do whatever he wants. All the TV networks will beg for him to be on their network or some staff will get him on to recruit/motivate.
I remember there was a handful of us screaming Luke Fickell. I’m not anti CSS, just thought I knew best. 🤣

Reactions: LeFors4Ever
CardX

Malik Cunningham was a 5.8 4-star QB in Ridder’s same class (2017). I’m sure we’d have loved to have had him, but with Jawon Pass in the 2016 class and Cunningham the year after that, getting Ridder to come to UofL would have been very difficult. And deciding to take Ridder (a 5.4 rated 2-star prospect) over Cunningham was not something that looked like a very good idea to anyone except diehard St X fans at that time.

I do not think Ridder was ever considered as an alternative to Cunningham, but rather qualified as a much better long term investment than Pass. There was a time when UL was renown for signing multiple QBs in recruiting cycles. In the case of Ridder, there were local HS observers who saw Desmond’s potential, but we never even pursued dialogue with him. Obviously UC saw something that others did not see, as they extended the scholarship despite the 2 Star rating.

It was Ridder's blessing to end up at UC. Great for the local young man. Coached up.

Reactions: PushupMan
And deciding to take Ridder (a 5.4 rated 2-star prospect) over Cunningham was not something that looked like a very good idea to anyone except diehard St X fans at that time.
You got that right

We “have” to recruit ACC type players. ;)

You got that right

We “have” to recruit ACC type players. ;)
My nephew played on St.X's team with him. And he even stated that Ridder just evolved into that player . At X he was not anything special and what little passing he did in practice was not that good. UC coahes just took him on a reach. And it paid off over time. You can't fault Satt or any other local school for not taking him. It happens. In every sport Russ is a prime example.

My nephew played on St.X's team with him. And he even stated that Ridder just evolved into that player . At X he was not anything special and what little passing he did in practice was not that good. UC coahes just took him on a reach. And it paid off over time. You can't fault Satt or any other local school for not taking him. It happens. In every sport Russ is a prime example.
I get it.

It’s just that we get “solid” HS players out of the south and our fans beach about it.

Nobody knows who the best will be in 2-3 years.

Reactions: rh62531 and Mayoman
I get it.

It’s just that we get “solid” HS players out of the south and our fans beach about it.

Nobody knows who the best will be in 2-3 years.
That's UofL's mo over decades especially when we had that Florida pipeline rolling. With a few local good prospects . I inderstand yes we lost a lot of ground locally. But i'm of the thought you are not going to win whole lot witha roster FULL of kentucky grown talent.

This is accurate. Ridder had offers from Miami of Ohio and UC. And the UC offer didn’t come until May. He camped at UofL so he was on their radar. The St. X offense wasn’t really a great showcase at the time either. He worked hard and developed. He’s a super star that developed late. Kudos to him.

There was a kid at Murray State named Casey Brockman, his dad was from Louisville and worked for the Louisville Redbirds back in the day. Casey Brockman wasn't a standout in KHSAA football or even WKY football when he played at Calloway County. He went to Murray State and developed into a FCS All-American and even got a NFL tryout.

He played in the Air Raid under Chris Hatcher and it was a perfect match. Hometown kid and a great situation, he took the ball and ran. Sometimes it's just about the timing and fit.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT