ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches poll

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Just read that Louisville did not receive a single vote in the coaches poll. Duke, NC State and Miami did though.

For me it's a broken record I know. There's a bias against Louisville. It may be just a lazy bias but it's a bias nonetheless. Louisville is forced to prove it deserves being voted for.

But I know, just win baby.

Reactions: Mayoman and Deeva
Brohm has a vote, and even he didn't vote for UofL. Cards will be the "surprise" team this year.

My guess is Coach Brohm doesn’t want his team thinking too highly of themselves and would prefer they be slept on by other teams. Keep them hungry and feeling disrespected; playing with a chip on their shoulders, like they have something to prove.

It's truly perplexing that a computer has Louisville as one of a handful of teams to be likely favored in every game while most voters don't even consider the Cards a top 25 possibility.

There's a outlier or two that predicts Louisville as a ACC contender while the rest has them picked 6th and worse.

Louisville has been a winning program for decades now. It's not like we're some surprise program that loses most of the time. There should be positive expectations for the program when the metrics show there are wins to be expected.

Plenty of other programs get the benefit of the doubt and at least receive some votes for the top 25 teams. Louisville always seems to have to prove themselves unless they're coming off a 10 win season.

It bugs the hell out of me. I was bitching about it before Lamar's Heisman season. Louisville was being ignored in the pre season by some and those who did vote for them had them barely ranked.

This season there's no way Louisville should be totally ignored and not receive a vote for the top 25.

It's truly perplexing that a computer has Louisville as one of a handful of teams to be likely favored in every game while most voters don't even consider the Cards a top 25 possibility.

There's a outlier or two that predicts Louisville as a ACC contender while the rest has them picked 6th and worse.

Louisville has been a winning program for decades now. It's not like we're some surprise program that loses most of the time. There should be positive expectations for the program when the metrics show there are wins to be expected.

Plenty of other programs get the benefit of the doubt and at least receive some votes for the top 25 teams. Louisville always seems to have to prove themselves unless they're coming off a 10 win season.

It bugs the hell out of me. I was bitching about it before Lamar's Heisman season. Louisville was being ignored in the pre season by some and those who did vote for them had them barely ranked.

This season there's no way Louisville should be totally ignored and not receive a vote for the top 25.
Face it, the Cards haven’t been a threat since Lamar. There has been no buzz around the program. The way Petrino ended things, a hapless AD, an uninspiring coach, fan apathy, who from the outside would hitch their reputation to this team? But, we are moving on and forward in a big ****ing way.

• Love
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Just read that Louisville did not receive a single vote in the coaches poll. Duke, NC State and Miami did though.

For me it's a broken record I know. There's a bias against Louisville. It may be just a lazy bias but it's a bias nonetheless. Louisville is forced to prove it deserves being voted for.

But I know, just win baby.
So did Pitt

just win and everything takes care of itself. funny part is would have easily been top 20 if satts had stayed and his recruits showed up. but who cares, it only takes a 3-0, 4-1, or 5-1 record to start to get ranked. and won't matter if uk still beats us. he's got to win that game first (or last technically). loses that and who give s fu$k what we were ranked.

Louisville is coming off a 8 win season and a bowl win over Cincinnati. A team that was in the playoff the season before.

The Cards upgrade their head coach and were highly successful in the portal and recruiting. Like most programs, the Cards have to replace some good players, but they also return a significant amount of good players.

If this was Wisconsin or Oklahoma State they would be in the top 25. Louisville is an afterthought despite their winning tradition and positive momentum from last season.

They shouldn't need a buzz when all it takes is looking at the players and the momentum the program is on. Tulane is in the top 25. I guess that's the buzz in action?

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman and Deeva
Louisville is coming off a 8 win season and a bowl win over Cincinnati. A team that was in the playoff the season before.

The Cards upgrade their head coach and were highly successful in the portal and recruiting. Like most programs, the Cards have to replace some good players, but they also return a significant amount of good players.

If this was Wisconsin or Oklahoma State they would be in the top 25. Louisville is an afterthought despite their winning tradition and positive momentum from last season.

They shouldn't need a buzz when all it takes is looking at the players and the momentum the program is on. Tulane is in the top 25. I guess that's the buzz in action?
Brett McMurphy has UofL 16th in his preseason AP Poll, which will be released on Monday. That should help you feel better.

Brett McMurphy has UofL 16th in his preseason AP Poll, which will be released on Monday. That should help you feel better.
Murphy’s Preseason Poll:

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 Florida St
4 Ohio St
5 Alabama
6 LSU
7 Washington
8 Penn St
9 Oregon
10 Clemson
11 Texas Tech
12 Notre Dame
13 Oregon St
14 USC
15 Tennessee
16 Louisville
17 Ole Miss
18 UNC
19 UCLA
20 Texas
21 Tulane
22 Utah
23 Wisconsin
24 Auburn
25 Illinois

Yes, there's usually a few who actually do their homework, but it still pretty lame that actual football coaches didn't give the Cards a single vote.

Sportswriters have their favorites, in the ACC it's Clemson, Miami and FSU. It shows the age of the writers as Clemson is the only team in the playoff era if those 3.
It does get head scratching. Writers in the SEC always ballyhoo Missouri and South Carolina.
In the Big 10 it seems to be Michigan State.
Texas gets top 20 votes even if they haven't been relevant in twenty years.

12 team playoff opens things a bit. Especially since there is no longer a Pac 12 to draw the media hype.

Win and the chips fall where they will. Beat a Georgia or LSU or Alabama in the playoff and you'll be set for years.

Reactions: rh62531
It does not matter what level of respect the ACC has for UL, as this school has had to earn anything and everything that we have ever obtained in football.

Pre-season rankings, particularly now with the Transfer Portal influencing so many schools, is too unpredictable. Syracuse was a good example last year of exceeding all expectations based on a transfer QB delivering an upset win over a highly favored UL squad.

We may very well have a transfer QB that delivers for us this year.

I go by Vegas on what the data is predicting and that is 8.5 games. Rankings are all fine and dandy, but if we are sitting at 9-3 at seasons end thats all I care about. Coaches poll is a popularity contest that doesnt matter! These days the only ranking that matters will come out in late October!

It goes without saying that winning a bunch of games will prove the nay sayers wrong. That is not the point I was making in this thread. Of course how well the Cards play will actually determine if they're ranked.

But now, in August, I believe the Cards should be ranked and then to see the coaches poll not even giving Louisville a single vote, makes me say there's something going with that.

And that is a bias. Some form of bias towards Louisville football.

But I know, who cares about pre-season polls? TCU last year wasn't ranked, but they did have some votes.

Last edited:
Cards lost a lot off an 8 win team. They flipped roughly half the roster. Stat stuffing QB (maybe overrated nationally), multi RBs, nearly all WR/TE that made impact, 3 dudes from D got drafted by NFL, lost most the leading tacklers... Monty going to Ole Miss hurt. A few others followed Sunbelt Scotty to Cincy. How many returned in the trenches, not sure.

Raided portal but it's hard to peg how that will go. It makes the program a bit of unknown and "wildcard" nationally.

We like what we got but if we're being honest we have no idea how they will do. The program hasn't made noise since Lamar.

Last edited:
All of that is part of the evaluation process no doubt, but most teams ranked and those receiving votes you could say the same thing.

It's about reloading or rebuilding and in my opinion Louisville has reloaded. It's
not like the Cards are coming off a bad season. They won 8 games including the bowl win over Cincinnati, a program that was in the playoff the season before.

Momentum is positive and with Brohm taking over, these voters have to know the offense is going to be more dynamic. The defense was one of the best last season and there's still some great players returning plus the highly regarded newcomers.

Now I don't believe the Cards should be ranked in the top 15 but to not receive a single vote is ridiculous, especially when compared to some of these teams that did.

If non biased voters looked at the Cards roster, then looked at their schedule, some would have least put Louisville at #25. Its like Louisville is an afterthought. A team that has to prove it deserves a vote, despite the program being one of most winningest programs in college football.

It surprises a lot of people when they look at the last 30 years or so and see only a handful of losing seasons. Louisville football should receive the benefit of the doubt like several other programs, but for some reason it just isn't so.

if this doesn't put a chip on their shoulders and motivate them then Nothing will.......

imo

Cards lost a lot off an 8 win team. They flipped roughly half the roster. Stat stuffing QB (maybe overrated nationally), multi RBs, nearly all WR/TE that made impact, 3 dudes from D got drafted by NFL, lost most the leading tacklers... Monty going to Ole Miss hurt. A few others followed Sunbelt Scotty to Cincy. How many returned in the trenches, not sure.

Raided portal but it's hard to peg how that will go. It makes the program a bit of unknown and "wildcard" nationally.

We like what we got but if we're being honest we have no idea how they will do. The program hasn't made noise since Lamar.
They also picked up a coach who will not constantly kill drives with horrible play calling. Defense might even take a step up due to a better scheme when you have an experienced secondary. Offense, upgrade in passing. Running back group has 1 more season of experience plus 1 solid transfer. Receiving group faster than last season plus better coached. Special teams, drop off in field goal more than likely, but could be surprised. Louisville is far better than last season imo.

All of that is part of the evaluation process no doubt, but most teams ranked and those receiving votes you could say the same thing.

It's about reloading or rebuilding and in my opinion Louisville has reloaded. It's
not like the Cards are coming off a bad season. They won 8 games including the bowl win over Cincinnati, a program that was in the playoff the season before.

Momentum is positive and with Brohm taking over, these voters have to know the offense is going to be more dynamic. The defense was one of the best last season and there's still some great players returning plus the highly regarded newcomers.

Now I don't believe the Cards should be ranked in the top 15 but to not receive a single vote is ridiculous, especially when compared to some of these teams that did.

If non biased voters looked at the Cards roster, then looked at their schedule, some would have least put Louisville at #25. Its like Louisville is an afterthought. A team that has to prove it deserves a vote, despite the program being one of most winningest programs in college football.

It surprises a lot of people when they look at the last 30 years or so and see only a handful of losing seasons. Louisville football should receive the benefit of the doubt like several other programs, but for some reason it just isn't so.
It doesn’t matter what the ranking is. If we win games the accolades will follow.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
When you look @ the back end of these polls a couple teams do stand out getting some BS rating for tradition, OU and A&M.

Both coming off losing seasons, some real ? marks at their HC spot. But they have strong tradition, and they have just the one bad year, it's not multiple losing seasons in a row.

Tulane coming off a monster year and win over a very good USC in a more prime time game than the Cards vs Cincy where both teams had stand-in HC's and programs just playing out the string.

WI gets the buzz hire of the year from the Cincy coach and they have a pretty steady run even after changing a coach.

But it is interesting that the AP puts the Cards somewhere in the mid 30s whereas the other poll gives nothing. That for sure is a pretty extreme discrepancy when comparing the polls.

I think if JB had one monster year or more at PU then there could be more buzz for this hire. Don't get me wrong I love the hire of JB can't wait. And I'm not holding his record @ PU against him either that is a very tough place to have a monster year, Tiller maybe did it once or twice after a long burn.

We just need to play some games see what we got.

The upgrade from Scott to Jeff is probably a bit overrated by our fan base and (hypocritical statement incoming) massively underrated by national media. However, I think that speaks more to the misunderstanding of SS who stumbled into an 8-5 record last year in spite of a defense that was statistically the best squad Louisville has had since the Charlie Strong days.

The fanbase expects a massive improvement under JB, but outsiders don’t see how or why he would make a huge difference in year one.

The upgrade from Scott to Jeff is probably a bit overrated by our fan base and (hypocritical statement incoming) massively underrated by national media. However, I think that speaks more to the misunderstanding of SS who stumbled into an 8-5 record last year in spite of a defense that was statistically the best squad Louisville has had since the Charlie Strong days.

The fanbase expects a massive improvement under JB, but outsiders don’t see how or why he would make a huge difference in year one.
I think most just want consistency. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat most of the time, and upset some teams on a regular basis. SS couldn’t bring that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT