ADVERTISEMENT

Coach P bars Wiggins from 5 schools

I wonder Cue if you'd be the first to bitch and moan if a "transfer" came back to bite us in the butt by intercepting a pass or anything else that would damage our opportunity for a victory. To limit Wiggins to anywhere that isn't on our schedule is a little over the top. He has been released to go to MSU but not those schools on our future schedules. And I'm fine with that since IT IS WITHIN THE RULES. Being a prick be damned.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
Nope. Not at all. This young man got his degree from UofL. He did nothing wrong. He should be allowed to leave the program after getting his degree and go wherever he wants to go. It's only a game, and he did his part by earning a degree. Now if this young man left the program on different terms, then I could understand the restrictions. In this case, I don't agree with the restrictions.

Reactions: BPGhost
What if CBP on the front end gave him a release and then ten other defensive players wanted to transfer to MSU. Would he still be a prick if he said no ?
Have the other 10 players in question graduated with a degree? If so then I would wish them the best. It's my opinion people are losing sight of the real prize here. It's the degree IMO. Not the right to play football.

Have the other 10 players in question graduated with a degree? If so then I would wish them the best. It's my opinion people are losing sight of the real prize here. It's the degree IMO. Not the right to play football.
Cue, I see it just the opposite. If he has the degree, there is no issue...Wiggins can leave immediately and go wherever he wants. Doesn't matter what Petrino thinks or wants.

It's ONLY an issue if Petrino can block his transfer legitimately, i.e., if Wiggins doesn't have the degree. Then, we can debate should Petrino block it, to where, etc?

Petrino's not conditionally a "prick". He either is or isn't based on his character, not the rule or whether it applies...

Cue, I see it just the opposite. If he has the degree, there is no issue...Wiggins can leave immediately and go wherever he wants. Doesn't matter what Petrino thinks or wants.

It's ONLY an issue if Petrino can block his transfer legitimately, i.e., if Wiggins doesn't have the degree. Then, we can debate should Petrino block it, to where, etc?

Petrino's not conditionally a "prick". He either is or isn't based on his character, not the rule or whether it applies...
It's my understanding Wiggins has graduated. That might be incorrect. If it's incorrect, then I spoke out too soon. I'll resist further comments until I know for sure.

Regarding Petrino, It's my very humble opinion he's always been a bit of a prick, but then again, he's a football coach and most all football coaches I've ever known were pricks to some degree. No reason for him to be any different I guess.

Reactions: zipp
This rule is written by the NCAA so until we "know" the rule then we may all be pissing into the wind.

I've highlighted the points that we seem to be looking for answers to. If I'm reading this right, a student/athlete is required to have the blessing of the school they are leaving. If that does not happen, they are required to pay their own way for the year following their transfer (basically the original school can deny them the opportunity to go to school under a scholarship for one year.

NCAA Transfer Exceptions and Waivers
The transfer process has a complex mix of rules and regulations that determine when and where athletes can transfer and if and when they can receive a scholarship. If you are being told you will need to sit out, not be able to play right away or not get a scholarship right away, below are some of the exceptions and petitions you can file to get a more favorable outcome.

One-Time Transfer Exception
The one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used exception for transfers from one four-year college to another, especially if the transfer involves two colleges in NCAA Division I or II.

• If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception.
  • The athlete must not have previously transferred from another four-year school.
  • At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible at the previous school; and
  • If transferring from an NCAA or NAIA school, the athlete’s previous school states in writing that they have no objection to the athlete using the one-time transfer exception.
While the one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used, it is technically the last resort. If a student-athlete can find another transfer exception to use, it is generally better since they have fewer requirements and sometime make the transfer not count if the student-athlete needs to transfer again.

Graduate Exception
The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Graduate Transfer Waiver
The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.

I've highlighted the points that we seem to be looking for answers to. If I'm reading this right, a student/athlete is required to have the blessing of the school they are leaving. If that does not happen, they are required to pay their own way for the year following their transfer (basically the original school can deny them the opportunity to go to school under a scholarship for one year.

NCAA Transfer Exceptions and Waivers
The transfer process has a complex mix of rules and regulations that determine when and where athletes can transfer and if and when they can receive a scholarship. If you are being told you will need to sit out, not be able to play right away or not get a scholarship right away, below are some of the exceptions and petitions you can file to get a more favorable outcome.

One-Time Transfer Exception
The one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used exception for transfers from one four-year college to another, especially if the transfer involves two colleges in NCAA Division I or II.

• If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception.
  • The athlete must not have previously transferred from another four-year school.
  • At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible at the previous school; and
  • If transferring from an NCAA or NAIA school, the athlete’s previous school states in writing that they have no objection to the athlete using the one-time transfer exception.
While the one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used, it is technically the last resort. If a student-athlete can find another transfer exception to use, it is generally better since they have fewer requirements and sometime make the transfer not count if the student-athlete needs to transfer again.

Graduate Exception
The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Graduate Transfer Waiver
The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.

SOOOOOOOO!!!! It's not nearly as simple as most of us posters thought it was. The original school (UofL in this case) does have some "say" in what will happen in case of a transfer. Yes, some will disagree with this but it appears that UofL (and Bobby Petrino) were acting within the existing NCAA rules. Now you may disagree with the rule(s) but it appears that CBP was not being a "prick" but only protecting HIS university and OUR football program. Maybe he should get some credit for allowing the so called "appeal".

Shaq graduated. He should be able to go wherever he wants. I see the logic behind Purdue & UK, but Miss State is just f'ing petty. Absolutely nothing gained by that, it's unfair to Shaq, and an unnecessary PR hit. Why do it? Because he's pissed at Todd Grantham. Say what you wnt about Todd, but his players love him so I'm not surprised Shaq wants to follow TG there.

I am glad the ban on MSU was lifted. Stupid.
Didn"t one of our commits this past year flip to MSU?

SOOOOOOOO!!!! It's not nearly as simple as most of us posters thought it was. The original school (UofL in this case) does have some "say" in what will happen in case of a transfer. Yes, some will disagree with this but it appears that UofL (and Bobby Petrino) were acting within the existing NCAA rules. Now you may disagree with the rule(s) but it appears that CBP was not being a "prick" but only protecting HIS university and OUR football program. Maybe he should get some credit for allowing the so called "appeal".

Naaa, he's a prick and that's OK. :D

He is a head football coach so he has to be a prick (to a certain degree) to be successful. I can't think of any highly successful head football coaches who were kind gentle people. Maybe they're out there but I can't think of any.:cool:

My biggest question with Petrino 2.0 is has he been ENOUGH of a prick? Maybe this is improvement... :D

Reactions: Cue Card

Just because one can do something, doesn't mean they should. A lesson United Airlines is learning in abundance.

Just because one can do something, doesn't mean they should. A lesson United Airlines is learning in abundance.

The comparison to the United Airlines debacle is not appropriate in this situation. Just my own opinion you understand.

Reactions: Cue Card
The comparison to the United Airlines debacle is not appropriate in this situation. Just my own opinion you understand.

I understand, and I wasn't comparing the situations, only the fact that both reactions were poorly thought out.

Can I ask a few questions about Shaq?

Why is he leaving?

What kind of player are we getting?

Was he poised to be a starter for tall?

Thanks. Sorry we know what it's like on ur end of the transfer to.

BEAT KENSUCKY!

Can I ask a few questions about Shaq?

Why is he leaving?

What kind of player are we getting?

Was he poised to be a starter for tall?

Thanks. Sorry we know what it's like on ur end of the transfer to.

BEAT KENSUCKY!

He is a pretty good cover corner. His drawbacks are: he is injury prone, talks a ton of trash and isn't physical.

He wouldn't start but tgats because UofL has a senior corner and a corner that will be a 1st rd draft pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT