ADVERTISEMENT

Coach McDonnell

You people can call me out later but I think this thread is total crap. Where is the evidence that CDM is going anywhere? Exactly zero media reports supporting this wild rumor.

GO CARDS!!!
You had it dead on.

Seriously glad I was wrong. I ran into an ole miss booster randomly in the south. He know way too much to be random and making up. He knew history of coach and lsu coach and ole miss Coach and East Carolina coach. Sometines coaches are like Denny and decide to stay!
Well, you at least showed your face again. For that I give you som credit.

Reactions: gocds
Is headed to ole miss. We are getting ecu coach
There was no equivocation. The only thing missing was the usual secret plane sighting whisking him away to the interview and him having already purchased a home there. If a bombshell is going to be reported as fact, it needs to be correct and not just an opinion passed off as a confirmed rumor.

Reactions: gocds
There was no equivocation. The only thing missing was the usual secret plane sighting whisking him away to the interview and him having already purchased a home there. If a bombshell is going to be reported as fact, it needs to be correct and not just an opinion passed off as a confirmed rumor.
I agree with what you’re saying. I’m not defending the poster but 2 things 1) McDonnell was quoted as saying if LSU calls he would listen. I think it would be smart to at least listen but I think many fans would want him to say, I’m good at U of L. Thanks, but no thanks.
2) it’s a product of our success. McDonnell is one of the top 5 coaches in college. When top jobs open, they’re going to call or at least his name will come up.
In my opinion unlike Smith, Petrino, Strong who felt like they left for greener pastures, I believe McDonnell feels he has unfinished business here. Go Cards!

That may be the issue though. If UofL is a top 5 program who is calling CDM and pulling him away? I think we are closer to top 10 and that is just due to tradition and fan support. If we consistently drew 4K and had been doing so for the last decade - top 5 program. JMO.

That may be the issue though. If UofL is a top 5 program who is calling CDM and pulling him away? I think we are closer to top 10 and that is just due to tradition and fan support. If we consistently drew 4K and had been doing so for the last decade - top 5 program. JMO.
I think with baseball you have to look at recent success because there are a lot of coaches who have amassed a lot of wins. Post season play also is a factor and that may be what’s holding Dan down a little. However, just looking at a 10 year period from 2008-2018 (didn’t see a more updated stat), McDonnell was the 13th most successful coach in terms of wins. But in considering who you would hire for your program you have to considered this. Of the coaches in ahead of Dan, 5 of them retired including the HC job in question, Maneiri (6), Tanner (3), Casey (7), Martin (9) and Fox(12). Schlossnagle (2) just took the A&M job after leaving TCU. Sullivan (1) was the first guy to turn down the job without interviewing. Corbin (4), Van Horn (8) and Pierce (10) and OConnor (5) all were participants in this years CWS. Who’s left out of that group to consider Savage (11) and McDonnell (13).

Oops correction. Savage and Van Horn were eliminated in Regional play.

Last edited:
When an objective observer considers our more northern geography as compared to the SEC, Southern California, Arizona, etc where the climate is more conducive to spring baseball and fertile recruiting areas where HS baseball is emphasized more than further north ……….. I believe Dan has demonstrated his ability to accomplish more than his peers despite some obvious challenges here in Louisville.

When an objective observer considers our more northern geography as compared to the SEC, Southern California, Arizona, etc where the climate is more conducive to spring baseball and fertile recruiting areas where HS baseball is emphasized more than further north ……….. I believe Dan has demonstrated his ability to accomplish more than his peers despite some obvious challenges here in Louisville.
But that's a double-edged sword. If McD can do what he has in our climate, what could he do with better climate, resources, attendance, recruiting base, tradition, etc.? In reality, we need to get that Kroger thing in LF under construction and increase both the season ticket base and the "butts in seats" during the season.

Reactions: Bardman
But that's a double-edged sword. If McD can do what he has in our climate, what could he do with better climate, resources, attendance, recruiting base, tradition, etc.? In reality, we need to get that Kroger thing in LF under construction and increase both the season ticket base and the "butts in seats" during the season.
When you consider where we were with fan involvement when CDM came here and where we are now we are night and day different. I have no reason to believe that we won’t continue that improvement. It is true that we aren’t like the Deep South/western schools but we can hold our heads high in comparison to schools in our locale. I remember many games when 100 fans was a good day and that simply isn’t the case any longer.

GO CARDS!!!

Look, I get it. Most people want to give McDonnell all the credit for where the baseball program is but that’s simply not the case. I watched games over at the fairgrounds. Yes, the fans came when we started having postseason success but Coach Prado and even Coach Z had a part in it. Prado is the reason Tino Martinez’s name is on the press box building and why we are in Patterson Stadium. I would like to see some of our recent successful professional players give back to the University. I was a U of L basball fan well before McDonnell was here.

Reactions: rh62531
Look, I get it. Most people want to give McDonnell all the credit for where the baseball program is but that’s simply not the case. I watched games over at the fairgrounds. Yes, the fans came when we started having postseason success but Coach Prado and even Coach Z had a part in it. Prado is the reason Tino Martinez’s name is on the press box building and why we are in Patterson Stadium. I would like to see some of our recent successful professional players give back to the University. I was a U of L basball fan well before McDonnell was here.
Sorry and with all due respect, Prado did keep the baseball program in existence but that’s as far as I can go. I too was in the Fairgrounds stadium and I give credit to Tom Jurich for the success of the UofL baseball program especially he and his wife for allowing their son Mark to attend UofL. Mark was an outstanding All American. Prado was released as UofL’s coach and that is when CDM was brought here. Prado did coach in Tampa afterward but he was not very good there either. Prado had some kind of relationship with Tino Martinezo and he did arrange for his name to be on the press box. Perhaps Mr. Martinzo made a donation of some sort. But Tom Jurich and Jim Patterson and CDM built the UofL baseball program that we all enjoy to this day.

GO CARDS!!!

Sorry and with all due respect, Prado did keep the baseball program in existence but that’s as far as I can go. I too was in the Fairgrounds stadium and I give credit to Tom Jurich for the success of the UofL baseball program especially he and his wife for allowing their son Mark to attend UofL. Mark was an outstanding All American. Prado was released as UofL’s coach and that is when CDM was brought here. Prado did coach in Tampa afterward but he was not very good there either. Prado had some kind of relationship with Tino Martinezo and he did arrange for his name to be on the press box. Perhaps Mr. Martinzo made a donation of some sort. But Tom Jurich and Jim Patterson and CDM built the UofL baseball program that we all enjoy to this day.

GO CARDS!!!
Please educate yourself before you respond. Prado won 2 D2 championships at Tampa before he got here. He recruited Mark Jurich not Tom. Tino Martinez is Prado’s brother-in-law and they were committed to building a baseball program here. Prado had difficulty recruiting Florida players here, understandably. He left McDonnell a shit lot of talent when he left. If there are any doubts about Prado’s contribution here, please ask Brian Mundorf, who was an asst on Prado’s staff and is still on McDonnell’s staff.

Reactions: rh62531 and gocds
Please educate yourself before you respond. Prado won 2 D2 championships at Tampa before he got here. He recruited Mark Jurich not Tom. Tino Martinez is Prado’s brother-in-law and they were committed to building a baseball program here. Prado had difficulty recruiting Florida players here, understandably. He left McDonnell a shit lot of talent when he left. If there are any doubts about Prado’s contribution here, please ask Brian Mundorf, who was an asst on Prado’s staff and is still on McDonnell’s staff.
I said absolutely nothing that wasn’t true. I didn’t deny Prado’s prior success. And you and I will just have to disagree on Mark Jurich. I appreciate your loyalty to UofL baseball.

GO CARDS!!!

I find it remarkable than anyone would question who is responsible for the high level of respect that UL college baseball enjoys right now. Dan's contribution here is unparalleled. The mere fact that his name comes up every time an SEC job opens up provides sufficient evidence of Dan's reputation.

I find it remarkable than anyone would question who is responsible for the high level of respect that UL college baseball enjoys right now. Dan's contribution here is unparalleled. The mere fact that his name comes up every time an SEC job opens up provides sufficient evidence of Dan's reputation.
Absolutely! And an outstanding post from 233. And in addition to 233’s comments, the fact that CDM has elected to stay at UofL (and the city of Louisville) speaks loud volumes to the potential our university and city has for not only baseball but for every sport we put forth. We should be damned proud.

GO CARDS!!!

Quote from last month in SI (McGavic). Nuff said.

During his 15 years as the skipper of the Cardinals, McDonnell has been one of the most successful coaches in college baseball. His record of 643-266 is No. 1 in wins since his hiring in 2007, he has five appearances in the College World Series, and is a two-time National Coach of the Year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT