ADVERTISEMENT

Clock Management

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Overall I’m overly impressed with how this staff has turned this team around. We were historically bad last year. I thought we played really well for 3 quarters until we ran out of gas. My one issue is how Satt managed the clock. On our drive before half we should’ve been managing the clock so that Clemson didn’t have an opportunity to get the ball back. And in the 3rd quarter when he brought Conley back in I felt like we had a couple of series where we got pass happy. Clearly our defense was giving their all but was gonna start running out of gas. The best thing we could’ve done was run the ball and run the clock to shorten the game.

Yeah I agree about the late first half clock management. That last TD right before the half really hurt. Keep them out of the end zone there and the score is 10-3 especially knowing they were getting the ball first in the second half.

Still we just ran out of gas and their depth got the best of us especially in the second half. I doubt it would have made a difference.

The running out of gas deal will only be resolved with time. Recruit recruit and recruit. I’m not sure there was an answer today Clemson is extremely talented and deep. Run pass it just didn’t matter.

Last edited:
I have no problem with any of those decisions, including the 4th down attempt later. It's all a part of trying to win and not just keeping the score as respectable as possible. One more part of the culture change - just like the players, a coach may make a mistake, but we're going all out to win.

Overall I’m overly impressed with how this staff has turned this team around. We were historically bad last year. I thought we played really well for 3 quarters until we ran out of gas. My one issue is how Satt managed the clock. On our drive before half we should’ve been managing the clock so that Clemson didn’t have an opportunity to get the ball back. And in the 3rd quarter when he brought Conley back in I felt like we had a couple of series where we got pass happy. Clearly our defense was giving their all but was gonna start running out of gas. The best thing we could’ve done was run the ball and run the clock to shorten the game.
100% agree with you. Even my wife agrees.

Reactions: Knucklehank1

I saw a lot of snaps where there were more than 10 seconds left on the play clock, QBs have to do better in that category.

Yeah I agree about the late first half clock management. That last TD right before the half really hurt. Keep them out of the end zone there and the score is 10-3 especially knowing they were getting the ball first in the second half.

Still we just ran out of gas and their depth got the best of us especially in the second half. I doubt it would have made a difference.
I see your guys point, but I think Satt was more interested in getting the tying score in as much as we were moving the ball. It was just that the drive came to a sudden halt leaving time on the clock. Regardless, they still had to drive the ball the length of the field. To their credit, they did. IMO in a year or two when we are deeper and more experienced, we may see him milk more clock.

Reactions: Art79
Mental mistakes turned that drive into a mess which ended up costing them. Same thing against Notre Dame. All I know is the entire program is putting it everything on the line and that is pretty awesome to see after last year.

They play fast and physical their dudes are just better.

I saw a lot of snaps where there were more than 10 seconds left on the play clock, QBs have to do better in that category.

Agree 100% about clock management. Conley also ran out of bounds once, freshman mistake.

I think the notion of a two minute offense has had too much influence on how QBs think. If you have a couple of timeouts and two minutes in the clock, you have an eternity. The clock stops completely on out of bounds, incomplete passes and timeouts. It stops to set the chains. I think it would be good for coaches to teach how to approach the game when there are 90-180 seconds on the clock versus 90 seconds or less. With today’s emphasis on passing and tempo offenses, the “two minute” offense is more a relic of the past. And a “two minute” defense should also be a relic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT