ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Says Team More Confident Away From Home

The guy needs to figure out a way to get that confidence. Looks to me like he should count his blessings. Our home “crowds” have been a lot more supportive than you might expect…

I am tired of players-coaches relying on fans to motivate them. You are done as an athlete if you need others to motivate you. You should play with confidence because you are prepared.

Fans desperately want to support players and coaches but my god give them something to cheer for.

I am tired of players-coaches relying on fans to motivate them. You are done as an athlete if you need others to motivate you. You should play with confidence because you are prepared.

Fans desperately want to support players and coaches but my god give them something to cheer for.
IMO, the motivation works both ways. Fans also derive motivation from teams they support that are successful - conversely, producing results like 4-28 is a real de-motivator as we’ve seen.

But what drives the players and to a large part the rest of society, is attention pure and simple. How many times / how frequently did a coaching staff show me “love” by showing up for my game, or texting me during the recruiting process? How many likes did my vacation picture post get?

Even when it’s negative attention - a packed away arena with fans booing - you hear players talk about how it energized them. It’s the attention that we crave, that drives us.

I do believe this is it. The reason the Cards start off so slow at the Yum center. There's barely anyone in the stands and there's nothing to generate excitement. Unlike in New York playing against a ranked team with its fans.

Home games are like practices with no sense of anticipation except more of the same bad basketball. Opponents are not intimidated instead confident they can get a win somewhere they never believed was possible, much less likely.

Once again it's on the head coach to excite his team to block out any of that and make their own excitement. Have the players motivated that they have had enough of these mid major cupcakes coming into the Yum center expecting a win.

Instead it's one missed shot after another.

The guy needs to figure out a way to get that confidence. Looks to me like he should count his blessings. Our home “crowds” have been a lot more supportive than you might expect…
Agree. I was at the New Mexico State game and the crowd, while smaller than in the past, filled more than half of the lower level and was really loud. Hard core fans that pull for the name on the jersey.

I guess that means Uk is gonna win by 60 since the game is at the Yum this year.

Okay, we were 0-2 at MSG. Doesn't anybody give a s**t about winning games?
I'm sorry, but are you saying that you don't understand the thread is about this teams performance at MSG compared to the games at the Yum center?

It wasn't about winning and losing. Obviously Cards fans want to win. The thread was about why did the team play so much better in New York than they have at home. Because it's night and day through six games.

It seems pretty clear what this thread is about.

Louisville is at a place where the fans need to be motivated. We are the ones paying for quality entertainment. The fans didn’t create any of the crap within the program. That is what KP and the players don’t understand. KP has done nothing to get fans hyped about anything.

Don’t come out and play like garbage after a 4-28 year. Don’t play defense like you don’t care if the other team scores. The teams performance will energize the fans that are at the game and those watching at home. There were great atmosphere last year the fans were rewarded with garbage play.

The product in the court always leads fans positivity or negativity 100%. Has anyone seen a crazy atmosphere for a crap team anywhere in the country that doesn’t involve a rival? Yes, fans can get teams over the hump or extra boost in games but overall it is up to the coaches and players to play the game in way that fans want to see. What we have seen at home is garbage. Sorry that is on the players and coaches.

Reactions: shadow force
Well there might be 13k people there tonight, too bad 6500 of them will have on BU gear!

Last edited:
They should pipe in crowd noise and put Denny Crum cutouts in all the empty seats. That might make them feel better.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that you don't understand the thread is about this teams performance at MSG compared to the games at the Yum center?

It wasn't about winning and losing. Obviously Cards fans want to win. The thread was about why did the team play so much better in New York than they have at home. Because it's night and day through six games.

It seems pretty clear what this thread is about.
I do understand what the thread is about, but thanks for the weird take. One of our best players says the team has more confidence at MSG than at home games. I think that is strange and largely a reflection of the team and its coaches. As a season ticket holder for 40 years who is sitting out this year, I sure don't feel responsible for their lack of confidence at home.

The point of my post is why doesn't anybody give a s**t about winning?

I do understand what the thread is about, but thanks for the weird take. One of our best players says the team has more confidence at MSG than at home games. I think that is strange and largely a reflection of the team and its coaches. As a season ticket holder for 40 years who is sitting out this year, I sure don't feel responsible for their lack of confidence at home.

The point of my post is why doesn't anybody give a s**t about winning?
Define anybody? The team or the fans? I think it's pretty clear the fans care about winning and during those two games in NY, the players looked like they cared about winning.

I assumed you were referring to all of us posters who were talking about the difference in performance on the road and why that may be. The players want to win, they just don't know how because their coach doesn't know how.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT