ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports: The Power Five conferences brought home a huge payday in 2014-15

Feb 19, 2003
From the article:

The Power Five combined for nearly $2.1 billion in revenue during 2014-15, up nearly $520 million from the previous year. The total, which amounted to roughly a 33 percent increase, can now be calculated after the ACC released its 2014-15 tax return on Friday.

While the NCAA defends amateurism in court, revenue generated by the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 more than doubled over a four-year period. The Power Five took in a little more than $1 billion in 2010-11 and reached $2.1 billion in 2014-15. Last year was the first season with the College Football Playoff, the SEC Network, some revised TV money due to expansion, and new bowl agreements.

Each conference's approximate 2014-15 payouts per school: SEC $32.7 million, Big Ten $32.4 million, ACC $27 million, Pac-12 $25.1 million, Big 12 $23.3 million.

The ACC reported $403 million in revenue, up nearly $100 million from a year earlier. That's in part due to a $31 million exit fee Maryland paid to leave the ACC.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...es-see-revenue-grow-by-33-percent-in-one-year

Reactions: wilkie01
From the article:

The Power Five combined for nearly $2.1 billion in revenue during 2014-15, up nearly $520 million from the previous year. The total, which amounted to roughly a 33 percent increase, can now be calculated after the ACC released its 2014-15 tax return on Friday.

While the NCAA defends amateurism in court, revenue generated by the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 more than doubled over a four-year period. The Power Five took in a little more than $1 billion in 2010-11 and reached $2.1 billion in 2014-15. Last year was the first season with the College Football Playoff, the SEC Network, some revised TV money due to expansion, and new bowl agreements.

Each conference's approximate 2014-15 payouts per school: SEC $32.7 million, Big Ten $32.4 million, ACC $27 million, Pac-12 $25.1 million, Big 12 $23.3 million.

The ACC reported $403 million in revenue, up nearly $100 million from a year earlier. That's in part due to a $31 million exit fee Maryland paid to leave the ACC.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...es-see-revenue-grow-by-33-percent-in-one-year
The ACC is doing well financially. But we need to try to close the gap with the SEC and Big 10 and an ACC Network would be a nice start to that.

The ACC is doing well financially. But we need to try to close the gap with the SEC and Big 10 and an ACC Network would be a nice start to that.

The ACC is doing very well financially...I pointed this out on our premium board and I will say it here...I do wish the NCAA/P5 would get rid of the amateurism kick...call it what it truly is and that is a Billion $$$ enterprise...the money now being generated by P5 Football and Basketball is mind blowing.

The ACC is doing very well financially...I pointed this out on our premium board and I will say it here...I do wish the NCAA/P5 would get rid of the amateurism kick...call it what it truly is and that is a Billion $$$ enterprise...the money now being generated by P5 Football and Basketball is mind blowing.
If they did that then they would have to start paying the players. But you are right the money is ridiculous it's amateur sports in name only.

Another fine display of human greed in the entity of the NCAA....ya they really care about the schools student/athletes......the rich get richer and the poor.....likely get taken advantage of.o_O

Just wait until the Big Ten's new contract kicks in.

Then the SEC will feel the need to expand, and you know where they're going to look.

I think the ACC Network would already be here if ESPN thought it would be profitable. The fact that it is not, makes me think the ACC is 'a day late and a dollar short,' as they say. Actually many dollars short.

That has just happened:

The winner here is the Big Ten, which will get somewhere around $2.64 billion in television money from Fox, ESPN and CBS, according to Ourand. That’s nearly triple what ESPN and CBS had been paying for the same set of games under the previous rights deals.

Then the SEC will feel the need to expand, and you know where they're going to look.

And where exactly will the SEC look? The ACC has a GOR. No program will be leaving The ACC before the 2026 - 2027 season. It is possible the SEC could look to The Big 12; if and it's a big if, if all 10 teams could be afforded golden parachutes into the other 4 power conferences. That is the only hope the SEC has of expanding with P5 programs.
CJ

And where exactly will the SEC look? The ACC has a GOR. No program will be leaving The ACC before the 2026 - 2027 season. It is possible the SEC could look to The Big 12; if and it's a big if, if all 10 teams could be afforded golden parachutes into the other 4 power conferences. That is the only hope the SEC has of expanding with P5 programs.
CJ

What schools out there not named Texas or Notre Dame would bring value to the SEC....

From the article:

You'd think with that kind of jack rolling in, they would find a way to limit tuition increases. Think Again!! These guys need to divert some of that $$$ to the academic side, otherwise they are putting their nonprofit status at risk.

If not OU, then OSU plus KU or K-State. Adding a team from both states would bring more TV viewers and some geographic rivals for their two most recent additions.

Are those schools worth $35 to 45 Million...that the problem Cincinnati has getting into the Big XII...they don't move the needle enough to justify expansion...that what it is IMO going to take for the B1G to expand...the play going forward is Texas...Oklahoma and Kansas would be Home Runs for the SEC

Are those schools worth $35 to 45 Million...that the problem Cincinnati has getting into the Big XII...they don't move the needle enough to justify expansion...that what it is IMO going to take for the B1G to expand...the play going forward is Texas...Oklahoma and Kansas would be Home Runs for the SEC
I didn't think Texas A&M or Missouri would have been worth that much. I would think OU and Kansas would be huge grabs, even though KU sucks in football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT