ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs deacons tonight...

Cards manage 1 run in bottom of 1st after leadoff single by Ray, followed by stolen base. Will moved Ray over on a groundout and Ray scored on a sac fly from Solak. Left fielder had to dive to make the catch. McKay flied out to end the inning. 2-1 them.

Someone in the crowd keeps doing a whoop whoop whoop when McClure is pitching? Not sure if it is coming from wake's dugout or not. McClure has settled down. Has 11ks. Sets new individual high. Previous was 10 against IU.

Already looking forward to next season with McClure as a weekend guy!

Cards bust it open. Will smith with a 3 run HR. Solak has to duck as a pitch goes over his head. Next pitch Solak hits a ball that hasn't come down yet. Cards up 7-2!!!

Reactions: rockycard
Hell...why didn't somebody tell me the baseball board was back for the cheapos like me. I was wondering why nobody was posting about the game on the basketball board. :p

This team has everything a championship needs, next week is going to be a blast at JPS.
The only issue I can see is middle relief. If a starter has to come out after 5 or 6 innings, there's no one really reliable to get to Burdi. Most of the season, the starters got through 7 innings so it hasn't been a problem. But we saw it tonight against Wake. McClure had to come out after 6 because he had over 100 pitches. The two guys who came in looked terrible. Bordner should have been pulled earlier. It was obvious he couldn't throw strikes after his one inning. Good thing we nailed that runner at the plate or that inning could have been a total disaster.

Burdi will have to get 2 inning saves in the NCAA tourney against top teams. I think McClure should be used as the set up man for Burdi and let the three starters make the starts. If the Cards had a great setup man like they have greatness everywhere else on the roster, then this team would have zero weakness.

The only issue I can see is middle relief. If a starter has to come out after 5 or 6 innings, there's no one really reliable to get to Burdi. Most of the season, the starters got through 7 innings so it hasn't been a problem. But we saw it tonight against Wake. McClure had to come out after 6 because he had over 100 pitches. The two guys who came in looked terrible. Bordner should have been pulled earlier. It was obvious he couldn't throw strikes after his one inning. Good thing we nailed that runner at the plate or that inning could have been a total disaster.

Burdi will have to get 2 inning saves in the NCAA tourney against top teams. I think McClure should be used as the set up man for Burdi and let the three starters make the starts. If the Cards had a great setup man like they have greatness everywhere else on the roster, then this team would have zero weakness.
Yeah,I have to agree with this to an extent.If I had a wish,it would be another lefty out of the pen.Hensman has not approached last season's success in any fashion.The blessing is,our starters have been phenomenal in duration,but...

Shane Hummel, Adam Wolf, and Bordner are our only semi-reliable middle guys. Sparger and Henzman have become real crap shoots...

That's kind of the downside when you have 3 (in our case 4) quality starters that can usually go deep into the game. You don't need much to get to Burdi. Sparger has been the main setup guy and like zipp said it can be a crap shoot. These guys need more innings to be effective but you don't sacrifice quality starts. I think kidston would have been a good setup guy but he has really struggled in the opportunities he has had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT