ADVERTISEMENT

Cards Volleyball defeats UK in five sets

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
A very exciting (if a bit lengthy) win for UofL Volleyball last night in Memorial Barnyard over dem Cats last night.
A five-set thriller, with the Cards prevailing 20-25, 25-15, 26-24, 24-26, 15-11.

#3 Louisville goes to 8-1 on the season and just might move up to #2, since Nebraska fell to Stanford.

The Cards got a test and a battle from UK, no doubt about that -- but Anna DeBeer and Claire "In the air" Chaussee led the way with 16 kills for Claire and 14 foe Anna.

Memorial can get loud, no doubt about that and the P.A. announcer can hardly be understood with his screaming antics and such. But, it's what you'd expect, I suppose, from a program that has "been there before" but hardly acts like it.

A good win over UofL, who next faces Stanford at Stanford.

Post game audio from Dani, Anna and Claire (courtesy of Jared Anderson/Cardinal Couple) : POST MATCH COMMENTS

Overheard after the match..."Yeah, the refs gave this one to UofL." (Note, the refs were from the SEC)

As much as trips to Lexington can be cumbersome, this one was worth it. And, Paulie got to sit next to Kathy DeBoer on media row, who is executive director of the AVCA. There is a good write up of the match (with plenty of photos) over at Cardinal Couple.

No reports of Cardinals fans taking to Floyd Street and burning furniture or overturning vehicles, but it's rumored that the albino squirrels on campus were going nuts.

--sonja--

I watched the match is a really good win we are looking a lot better since the Ohio State match. I really like Katie George I know she is a Louisville alum and a diehard Cardinal fan. However I thought she was trying so hard to make sure she wasn’t biased towards Louisville that she actually became biased towards sUcK. She was even praising their mistakes and failures where we were given little praise.

Reactions: Bardman
So on point about uk. They are just bush league. Yes, the obnoxious PA, their fans, playing in a barn, etc. Refs? Really? Someone in blue had the gall to blame that lose on the refs? Wow - pitiful. Uk is better than #13 - Katie said as much. They just make plays and last night there were a lot of balls that bounced their way - a lot of it was because of their effort!

Loved the morons in the student section in their tight wife beater t shirts flashing their Ls down the whole match and yelling right behind the UofL server when the Cards were on that side of the court. I can only imagine what they were yelling. “UK” and “Class” are mutually exclusive terms.

I laughed at those guys you are talking about wearing their blue and white skunk hats and exposing their wimpy bodies in tank top T’s. In regards to the officiating they had nothing to blame there they won all but 1 appeal.

Rutherford was the dominant player for UK. When she was out of position via rotation or doubled up by blockers UofL capitalized. Cards seemed to be more balanced and deeper but lots of hype in the gym for that matchup. As the commentators noted, both teams got better last night which is the reason they play the game.

Wow. Just found this board. Didn’t know it existed. Congrats Sonja.
Great road win for the ladies in front of a national TV audience. Go Cards!

I recorded it and watched it again tonight why do they let those idiot fans so close to our team serving the ball? That truly was a hostile environment and you’re right that was not a good look for sUcK.

Reactions: Deeva and Bardman
Great game, and yes, both teams grew up a little last night. At one point in the telecast, Katie George said that our coach told her that as soon as our team starts setting the middle more, the overall team will improve because our middle hitters are good. At one point in the second game Cresse took over for a minute then we quit using her. This team will continue to get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT