ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari to the Chicago Bulls ????

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001

John Calipari's Last Hurdle
Darrell Horwitz

A 40-0 season and an NCAA championship would have been the cherry on top of the sundae for Kentucky coach John Calipari, but even winning the title would not have given him the credit he deserves. With a roster full of McDonald's All-Americans, winning the championship is expected. Anything less and he's considered a failure.

There's only one way for Calipari to win, and that's to go to the one place where he failed: the NBA. After a successful career at UMass, he jumped to the NBA, taking over the New Jersey Nets in 1996. He was fired when his team got off to a 3-17 start in 1998. That left him with a career mark of just 72-112.

He resurrected his career at Memphis, and parlayed that success into his current job at Kentucky. But while his record is very good, his reputation is another matter. At both UMass in 1996, and Memphis in 2008, his teams were forced to vacate their accomplishments due to violations.

His success at Kentucky is unquestionable with four Final Four appearances, but it's the way that he has done it that has come under scrutiny. Dubbed a "snake oil salesman" by many for his recruiting of one-and-done players, Calipari seems to be the sole target when others, including Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, have benefited from recruiting those same type players.

Calipari's Wildcats won the title in 2012 with one-and-done Anthony Davis leading the way. Last year, his team reached the championship game in Julius Randle's only season. Despite a 38-0 record this season, they were upset by Wisconsin before reaching the final game, but there will be more players saying goodbye after just one season at Kentucky.
There's only one way for Calipari to win, and that's to go to the one place where he failed: the NBA.

This merry-go-round can continue for Calipari as long as he wants it to. He runs a basketball factory at Kentucky, recruiting and churning out NBA players like Doritos manufactures chips. Players are attracted to his program because of the exposure they get, and the knowledge that the NBA will be biting as soon as they declare for the draft. Calipari has to ask himself if it's all worth it.

He will never receive the recognition he deserves coaching in college because of the talent he recruits. He will always have critics, but he has a gift that is perfect for the NBA. He's a great recruiter and players want to play for him. He can become the next Pat Riley.

Despite his failure his first go-around in the NBA, he will have suitors. Cleveland was sniffing around last year before LeBron James came back home and David Blatt was lucky enough to land the job. The Cavs are playing well, but everything is predicated on the playoffs. If they win a title, it's all silent on the Western front. But if they fail to get out of the Eastern Conference, does Calipari's name come up again to lead the team? LeBron has had some questions about Blatt, who previously coached overseas and wasn't as familiar with the way the game is played here.

In Chicago, coach Tom Thibodeau is at war with the front office. Most sources don't think he will finish out his contract, and many, including this writer, don't think he will be back next year.

The Bulls would be an attractive destination for Calipari. He can reunite with Derrick Rose, and maybe resurrect his career. Since his numerous injuries, Rose doesn't seem to be the same player, not just physically, but mentally. Maybe Cal can invigorate Rose. They have a great relationship and respect for each other.

Chicago has a deep team, and like Thibodeau, Calipari stresses defense. If his minions at Kentucky don't play defense, he goes to the next guy. In the Windy City, there are choices, and maybe Calipari will give more of them an opportunity to play than Thibodeau does.
There are many reasons why Calipari should return to the NBA. Redemption is at the top of the list.

Another reason why Chicago would be an attractive destination is that Anthony Davis will be a free agent in two years. Having played at Kentucky and being from Chicago, the Bulls would make for a sensible destination. The Bulls have never been very good at luring free agents. That would change with Calipari.

There is one more destination that would be a good option-the Los Angeles Lakers. The once formidable Lakers are currently one of the worst teams in basketball, but La La Land is always a hot spot for players. If they get lucky with the lottery, they could have the first pick in the draft. Julius Randle will also be back next year after missing his first season with an injury. Maybe the Lakers can become Kentucky West if they end up with Karl-Anthony Towns with that first pick if he declares for the draft.

LA could also be an option for Derrick Rose in two years when his contract is up. He might be tired of getting bashed in his hometown. He spends a lot of time in Los Angeles in the offseason, and enjoys the anonymity there compared to Chicago. A frequent workout buddy of his, Kevin Love, is also fond of LA, and he's a free agent after this season. With Calipari coaching the Lakers, they become an even more attractive destination than normal.

There are many reasons why Calipari should return to the NBA. Redemption is at the top of the list. Bill Belichick failed his first head coaching stint in Cleveland and is now a coaching legend in New England. Pete Carroll had two strikes against him in the NFL when he went to Seattle, and now has a Super Bowl ring of his own.

Calipari has one black mark on his record and that's in the NBA. No matter how much he wins at Kentucky, it will always be there, mocking him that he wasn't good enough for the highest league in the land. It's all about the ego.

So the question for Calipari is: Do you want to be the big man on campus, or do you want to finally make it in the big leagues?

Calipari won't leave UK until the NCAA comes sniffing around. Until then, he, in conjunction with Nike and his sports agency, have got college bball by the short hairs.

He is gone if any of the good jobs are available, but he wants ten million a year, not the lame 8 million offer from last year which isn't much mire than he makes at UK. Cal knows that he is under scrutinity after not living up to expectation and it is all downhill for him from here. He doesn't do downhill or put up with fans that question him.
This post was edited on 4/11 2:47 AM by ACCCard

This post was edited on 4/11 5:42 PM by ACCCard

Originally posted by cuzimacardfan:
I didn't read but Cal wants control. I don't think he will get that with the Bulls and their ownership.
I didn't read it either because it's not going to happen. What NBA team in their right mind would hire John Calipari? Why? He hasn't shown much coaching ability. All he has shown is he can call William Wesley and choose which NIKE AAU stars he wants on his college roster. That won't happen in the NBA. He can't just call his buddy and get the players he wants.

He's not leaving Lexington. Not for any job.

I hate Calipari but I'm sure the next guy they get I'll hate too! If you're not an arrogant turd they're not hiring you, that's a prerequisite to just getting an interview. That being said, I do think he would consider the Cavs and I don't think that coach is necessarily on rock solid ground with that organization!

Calipari wants the NBA but the NBA does not want him.

When is the last time you heard of him being called in for an interview???

One thing that makes him attractive to NBA is that his personality is big enough to handle some of the stars and he has proven he can manage NBA talent. He would have insant respect with NBA guys. Heck he coached half of them anyway. He also talked a lot about how tired he is and the toll the UK job takes on a coach.

World Wide West has been shopping Calipari to NBA GMs !!!

Now ain't that a real Maryland Farmer for your backside!!!!
eek.r191677.gif

Re: World Wide West has been shopping Calipari to NBA GMs !!!

Why would he leave for anywhere? There is only one fan base and school that will believe all of his excuses and basic lies. How can any team give away a title shot by going three trips at the end without even hitting the rim. I would like to know exactly what he was doing. The Harrison's simply gave the game away and Cal never did a thing about it. When you have the talent and bench he had why didn't they press every minute? How does a team with 35 feet worth of McDonalds AA frontline players only get 22 rebounds against a team with a shallow frontline? That was one of the worst efforts I've seen in a final four. There were a lot of confused people on the UK bench and Cal was at the front of the line. It's obvious that NBA thoughts were on everyone's mind and not much more.

Originally posted by Cue Card:
I didn't read but Cal wants control. I don't think he will get that with the Bulls and their ownership.
I didn't read it either because it's not going to happen. What NBA team in their right mind would hire John Calipari? Why? He hasn't shown much coaching ability. All he has shown is he can call William Wesley and choose which NIKE AAU stars he wants on his college roster. That won't happen in the NBA. He can't just call his buddy and get the players he wants.

The key term you use is "in their right mind". There are bad hires all the time. With the right connections and a snake oil charm he could land in the NBA easily. I don't see the Bulls buying his stuff as well as some others. But there are some franchises that make bad decisions all the time and he could easily end up at one of them.

Originally posted by Big_Tasty_Muffin:
Calipari wants the NBA but the NBA does not want him.

When is the last time you heard of him being called in for an interview???
He had the Cavs job last year with tons of control included but he came back because he was going to go 40-0.

He will leave when the situation benefits him. If he doesn't fill his roster needs he is gone. It's all about him.

Posted by Cue Card:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree... he will be at Lexington until the roof caves in and he gets ridden out of town on a rail or he will sneak out to a lesser job like Tubby did.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT