ADVERTISEMENT

Cal still has kids brainwashed SMH

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
And it is. It’s hard not to when you’ve got a history of winning games and putting elite talent in the NBA. The 6-foot-4 guard says he’s fascinated with the idea of playing for a blue blood for those specific reasons.

“Probably Kentucky, UCLA and Duke (were schools I followed as a kid). I really liked the blue bloods growing up,” he said. “They produce pros. Everybody you see in the NBA or overseas, in some pro league, they all came out of one of those schools.”

For Kentucky specifically, the Coach Cal appeal is significant, as well. The idea of playing for a larger-than-life coach — divine, even? — is something he’d certainly be interested in.

“He’s a great coach. He came to some of our games and it was like — I have no idea, man,” Bethea told KSR. “Seeing him is like seeing God or something. You only see him on TV, for real.”

the crazy thing is if you watched the NBA playoffs this year just about every single team had at least one UK player, if not two on the team and playing. Boston was the only team in the final 8 left that didn't have a UK player.

UK HAS 17 PLAYERS THIS YEAR IN THE NBA PLAYOFFS, WHY WOULDN'T ANY COLLEGE KID WANT TO GO TO UK IF THEY HAVE THE BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE NBA.
Denver Nuggets (1) – Jamal Murray
Los Angeles Clippers (1) – Brandon Boston Jr.
Los Angeles Lakers (3) – Anthony Davis, Wenyen Gabriel, Jarred Vanderbilt
Miami Heat (2) – Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro
Minnesota Timberwolves (1) – Karl-Anthony Towns
New York Knicks (2) – Immanuel Quickley, Julius Randle
Oklahoma City Thunder (2) – Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Olivier Sarr
Philadelphia 76ers (1) – Tyrese Maxey
Phoenix Suns (1) – Devin Booker
Sacramento Kings (3) – De’Aaron Fox, Trey Lyles, Malik Monk

The total of 27 players on NBA opening-day rosters (including two-way and inactive players) that played and finished their college basketball careers at Kentucky was more than any other college program in the country. Duke, with 24, was the only other school with more than 20 players in the NBA. The list was compiled from the NBA’s official opening-day roster list.

Kentucky has enjoyed unprecedented success at putting players in the NBA under John Calipari. In the Calipari era, 45 players have been selected in the NBA Draft, more than any other school. Included in the recent run are 34 first-round picks, three No. 1 overall selections (Davis, Towns and John Wall) and 22 lottery selections.

Calipari’s players are not only reaching the next level, but they are also succeeding when they do. Since 2010, 10 Calipari-coached players have garnered 32 All-Star selections. Derrick Rose (from Memphis) was named league MVP in 2011. Seven of his players have been tabbed All-NBA (Booker, DeMarcus Cousins, Randle, Rose, Wall, Davis, and Towns), three have been named NBA Rookie of the Year (Rose, Tyreke Evans and Towns), Randle was tabbed the NBA’s Most Improved Player in 2021, Herro won NBA Sixth Man of the Year in 2022 and 15 players from Calipari’s first 12 teams at Kentucky have made the NBA All-Rookie teams.

Among all active collegiate coaches, Calipari has more total players (10) and more total All-Star selections (32) than any other coach. Only Dean Smith (12) had more former players earn an All-Star nod. Kentucky had four selections in 2023 which was more than any other program.
(copied from ukathletics.comn)

in 2020 they led the NBa w/ 13 former players in the playoff. in 2021 the led with 15 players. in 2022 the led w/ 10.

Reactions: BigBlueCat11
SGA
Murray
Booker
Fox
Bam
Davis
Townes
Keldon Johnson
Randle
Maxey

Are all elite NBA players and:

Herro, Quickley, Monk and PJ Washington are all really good NBA players.

Cal can still brag about the sheer number of high level NBA talent he's put in the NBA. You could argue 5 of the 10 best guards in the NBA are from UK.

Not surprising some U of L folks thinks he is god also!!

LOL and a majority of them were hand delivered to his door step via Uncle Wesley

Reactions: Deeva
They were all 5* players out of high school who would have been in the NBA not matter what college they went to. I wonder if you take all of those players and add up how many years they were in college under Carl’s guidance what would the break down be. More than likely no more than 2 years under Cal not enough to shape an NBA player. I can tell you this sUcK fans aren’t happy with one title considering how many former NBA players have gone through there.

Not surprising some U of L folks thinks he is god also!!

LOL and a majority of them were hand delivered to his door step via Uncle Wesley
i dislike cal, think he's a charlatan and cannot in game coach at all, but it doesn't matter how they got to uk, they got there, got the most national expsoure on tv outside of duke every year, so they get on tv, get seen, get drafted, and get paid. in contrast, i absolutely love and root for Spida, Rozier and Harrell, but i'm sure it's more fun rooting for 27 former players. simple fact is nike 100% backing uk, gets them on the biggest stages and in the biggest regualr season games, uk articles draw the most clicks, and all of this adds up to their players being seen more on national tv. u of l will never be there, same as 98% of all other schools. uk is the biggest brand in college bball. you can go somewhere else to get more playing time but you cannot go anywhere else except duke to get more exposure and i'd say uk is still above duke.

i dislike cal, think he's a charlatan and cannot in game coach at all, but it doesn't matter how they got to uk, they got there, got the most national expsoure on tv outside of duke every year, so they get on tv, get seen, get drafted, and get paid. in contrast, i absolutely love and root for Spida, Rozier and Harrell, but i'm sure it's more fun rooting for 27 former players. simple fact is nike 100% backing uk, gets them on the biggest stages and in the biggest regualr season games, uk articles draw the most clicks, and all of this adds up to their players being seen more on national tv. u of l will never be there, same as 98% of all other schools. uk is the biggest brand in college bball. you can go somewhere else to get more playing time but you cannot go anywhere else except duke to get more exposure and i'd say uk is still above duke.
It's whatever Blue blood is the media flavor for that year as far as brand imop. It cycles between KS,Duke,Uk and NC and lately UCLA had been creeping back in. But with this NIL and portal the blue blood moniker is slowly showing their cracks. Players are about that dollar now .

And what i was really inferring to about Cal. I could care less about the one and done players he has gotten credit for. I was laughing at the poor kid thinking he is a god. Obvious he hasn't really paid attention to what Cal has been doing as of lately.

Last edited:
the crazy thing is if you watched the NBA playoffs this year just about every single team had at least one UK player, if not two on the team and playing. Boston was the only team in the final 8 left that didn't have a UK player.

UK HAS 17 PLAYERS THIS YEAR IN THE NBA PLAYOFFS, WHY WOULDN'T ANY COLLEGE KID WANT TO GO TO UK IF THEY HAVE THE BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE NBA.

The total of 27 players on NBA opening-day rosters (including two-way and inactive players) that played and finished their college basketball careers at Kentucky was more than any other college program in the country. Duke, with 24, was the only other school with more than 20 players in the NBA. The list was compiled from the NBA’s official opening-day roster list.

Kentucky has enjoyed unprecedented success at putting players in the NBA under John Calipari. In the Calipari era, 45 players have been selected in the NBA Draft, more than any other school. Included in the recent run are 34 first-round picks, three No. 1 overall selections (Davis, Towns and John Wall) and 22 lottery selections.

Calipari’s players are not only reaching the next level, but they are also succeeding when they do. Since 2010, 10 Calipari-coached players have garnered 32 All-Star selections. Derrick Rose (from Memphis) was named league MVP in 2011. Seven of his players have been tabbed All-NBA (Booker, DeMarcus Cousins, Randle, Rose, Wall, Davis, and Towns), three have been named NBA Rookie of the Year (Rose, Tyreke Evans and Towns), Randle was tabbed the NBA’s Most Improved Player in 2021, Herro won NBA Sixth Man of the Year in 2022 and 15 players from Calipari’s first 12 teams at Kentucky have made the NBA All-Rookie teams.

Among all active collegiate coaches, Calipari has more total players (10) and more total All-Star selections (32) than any other coach. Only Dean Smith (12) had more former players earn an All-Star nod. Kentucky had four selections in 2023 which was more than any other program.

in 2020 they led the NBa w/ 13 former players in the playoff. in 2021 the led with 15 players. in 2022 the led w/ 10.
Great research I knew it was several guys Cal had in the league but didn't realize the exact number. TBH he should have at least 3 titles with that amount of talent imo.

But the transfer portal and NIL money is changing the college basketball landscape.

Reactions: glassmanJ
They were all 5* players out of high school who would have been in the NBA not matter what college they went to. I wonder if you take all of those players and add up how many years they were in college under Carl’s guidance what would the break down be. More than likely no more than 2 years under Cal not enough to shape an NBA player. I can tell you this sUcK fans aren’t happy with one title considering how many former NBA players have gone through there.
I was going to reply the same thing. Out of the 17 players in the playoffs, only 2 were at UK longer than 9 months! Most of those kids were no brainers to play in the NBA. If I'm a fan I'm asking why they only have 1 'ship!!

All of that talent 😳, and 1 NC 10+yrs ago 😳

I think the major change that has occurred is these players no longer are going to ride the pine as a freshman or even grad transfer. If they sit they leave or don’t come. He will always land elite class the question is can he fill out the roster and keep everyone happy. He has been struggling big time the couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT