ADVERTISEMENT

Big Blue Skewed Thinking

carddead13

New Poster, Show Me Love
Aug 30, 2009
I will never be one to call idiot Big Blew fans rational thinkers. They are convinced, after being lead to believe by Fat Jones, that we will have to take down our banner from 2013 over the recent scandal brought on us by The former player whose name I will never utter again. I sat to look at history and the NCAA has never taken a championship away. This is proven by the fact that UK still flies the banners from 48-49 when they were PROVEN to have shaved points and gave illegal payments to players. This caused them to cancel the 52 season. First death penalty in NCAA ever. Cheaters for over 60 years.

You're comparing rules and punishments to a team from nearly 70 years ago. Times have changed, rules have changed, punishments have changed. Using examples from the 1940's to find rational isn't very logic.

Coming from a neutral party thats not biased-- I don't think the NCAA will take the banner down, but it wouldn't surprise me either. The bottom line is, major rules were broken with multiple players and coaches, and this was during the championship season. Honestly, I can see the argument either way.

You're comparing rules and punishments to a team from nearly 70 years ago. Times have changed, rules have changed, punishments have changed. Using examples from the 1940's to find rational isn't very logic.

Coming from a neutral party thats not biased-- I don't think the NCAA will take the banner down, but it wouldn't surprise me either. The bottom line is, major rules were broken with multiple players and coaches, and this was during the championship season. Honestly, I can see the argument either way.
Go away Skunt. You are anything but a neutral party. Loser UK SchmUcK? yes. Neutral? Kiss me nuggets.

The NCAA is NOT taking a banner down. If Memphis had won the title in 2008, nothing would have happened. Cards are safe from the skank wars of 2010-2014. No harm, no foul.

Actually, Kentucky has three banners (48,49,51) that were won by multiple players who were not eligible to play as amateurs at the time. Several of those players also won the Olympic gold medal in 48. None of us know if the investigation has, or will, find evidence that will lead to losing the 2013 banner. Some of those UK posters just love to hate....

But what are you basing your opinions on? None of us knows for sure what happened. To my knowledge, the NCAA hasn't released an official report, and neither has UofL. We suspect the allegations are bad based on the self-imposed ban, but who knows? The facts and reports may end up proving the UofL admin jumped the gun and over-extended on punishment.

I'm withholding judgement until I see at least one official report. And no, the book doesn't count, at least not for me.

I have to be honest, I think that will actually benefit UL very much.
Not nearly as much as the yuts. Mid season basketball losses haven't hurt UofL's ability to go to and succeed greatly in the NCAA tournament, whereas two years in a row - Louisville has shut down yut football for the year.

Getting Louisville off of the football schedule might just allow Stupes and the rest of you losers to play in a bowl this decade.

But what are you basing your opinions on? None of us knows for sure what happened. To my knowledge, the NCAA hasn't released an official report, and neither has UofL. We suspect the allegations are bad based on the self-imposed ban, but who knows? The facts and reports may end up proving the UofL admin jumped the gun and over-extended on punishment.

I'm withholding judgment until I see at least one official report. And no, the book doesn't count, at least not for me.

This is correct. We are still in Step 1 of (at least) a six step process. There is no guarantee this is going to be over anytime soon.

Here is link to the NCAA's violation investigation and resolution process; it uses the recent Syracuse case as an example:

http://www.ncaaupdatesyr.com/process/

We are still in Step 1: Investigation.

After the investigation is complete, UofL will receive a Notice of Allegations (NoA). Syracuse received theirs in May 2014. That's step 2.

Step 3 is the school's response to the NoA. Syracuse filed their response in August 2014.

Step 4 is the hearing before the Committee on Infractions. Syracuse's hearing occurred in late October 2014.

Step 5 is the issuance of the NCAA report. Syracuse received their report on March 6th, 2015. Note that Syracuse instituted their postseason ban on Feb 4th, 2015, between steps 4 and 5.

Step 6 is the Appeal process. Syracuse did decide to appeal, and they won back 1 scholarship per year by appealing. The appeal process concluded in late November 2015 - so nearly 9 months after step 5.

In Louisville's case, it's possible that the 5 months between step 2 and step 4 could be shortened due to the joint nature of the UofL and NCAA investigations. And of course step 6 can be skipped if UofL agrees to the findings and proposed punishment.

So hypothetically, say the investigation wraps up in mid-March 2015.

A reasonable (accelerated) schedule would then be something like this:
Step 1 wraps up: mid-March 2016
Step 2: NoA issued mid-April 2016
Step 3: UofL files a quick response and agrees to all findings. mid May 2016
Step 4: committee on infractions hearing, July 2016 (but whether the NCAA would hold this type of meeting in the middle of summer, which is the off-season for academic institutions? This might then slide until September)
Step 5: NCAA issues report and announces penalties: November 2016
Step 6: if UofL appeals, expect the final results 10 months later: September 2017.

And it is important to keep in mind that any delay in completing any of the steps pushes the following steps out "further to the right".

Reactions: JohnKBA
Push-up Man,

Appreciate your diligence. I think it's worth a separate post just to inform people of the likely timeline and the overall length and process of this investigation and then ask the question again. Did we really want to wait until the end of the season to announce the post season ban, as if we really had a choice if we want the NCAA to believe that we want to put this in our past and move forward.

Push-up Man,

Appreciate your diligence. I think it's worth a separate post just to inform people of the likely timeline and the overall length and process of this investigation and then ask the question again. Did we really want to wait until the end of the season to announce the post season ban, as if we really had a choice if we want the NCAA to believe that we want to put this in our past and move forward.

Agree completely. Yes, UofL could have chosen not to ban themselves this year, but doing so would basically have been the equivalent of giving the middle finger to the NCAA. Frankly, it's something we would have done back in the mid-1990's with Denny's first set of NCAA violations - back when our relationship with the NCAA was "us versus them".

It's very safe to say that the NCAA would not have been pleased to have the phrase "stripper scandal" dominate the media coverage for as long as we were still in the NCAA tournament. Any kind of good will UofL had earned for hiring Chuck Smrt and leading the investigation into these allegations would have all been used up.

My sincere hope is that the timeline I have shown above is close to accurate, so that the "stripper scandal" is old news by the time the 2017 NCAA tournament rolls around.

Reactions: JohnCard28
I don't think you guys are going to lose the title. I can't see what went on provided the team with any advantage. Your post season ban did a couple of things, it let the NCAA know UofL acknowledges the wrong doings and to another extent it was punishment for Rick in an effort to save his position at UofL. Its possible you could receive another post season ban next year, but not likely. Pitino will be suspended a couple of scholarship reductions and that's that.

If it comes down to harsher penalties, then the NCAA may be appeased and lower the penalties if Rick is gone.

I don't think you guys are going to lose the title. I can't see what went on provided the team with any advantage. Your post season ban did a couple of things, it let the NCAA know UofL acknowledges the wrong doings and to another extent it was punishment for Rick in an effort to save his position at UofL. Its possible you could receive another post season ban next year, but not likely. Pitino will be suspended a couple of scholarship reductions and that's that.

If it comes down to harsher penalties, then the NCAA may be appeased and lower the penalties if Rick is gone.
Whether it provided an "advantage" is not the measure by which the type of punishment is determined. It will ultimately come down to impermissible benefits and amateurism (as well as the "optics" of the situation given the nature of the "benefits"). Players who are provided with benefits beyond that of a normal student based on their status as a basketball player are no longer amateurs, and only in specific cases (e.g., incoming players paying back AAU money) can the player regain eligibility. Eligibility has nothing to do with "benefits" to the team/program. For example, the fact that Camby was paid by an agent did not "benefit" UMass, yet he was still rendered ineligible and the Final Four was vacated.

Moreover, in this case, unlike in the Camby case or some other cases where there is no way the imermissible benefts acted as an "advantage" to the team, there is no way of knowing for sure that what happened here did not provide an "advantage." Sure you can to the lack of recruits, but that does not definitely establish a lack of advantage. Also, Blakeney and Lyle committed after their visits and then decomitted later, with Blakeney specifically noting that he committed for the "wrong reasons."

There is one trackable instance where money was paid for a stripper/sexual benefit. There was $200 paid via a Wal Mart money gram after the Blakeney incident. That's a paid benefit. Everything up until that point was parties put on by AM. There's no evidence of payments before that.

There is one trackable instance where money was paid for a stripper/sexual benefit. There was $200 paid via a Wal Mart money gram after the Blakeney incident. That's a paid benefit. Everything up until that point was parties put on by AM. There's no evidence of payments before that.
This is the really strange part in all of this. Why , when he had already left and was no longer affiliated with the program, does he for the first time make a payment with a trail back to him. Was he bitter for not being promoted here? Katina has said that she thought Andre had a thing for her. Could it of been a way to impress the lady he had feelings for by giving her some proof she needed? Just doesn't make any sense at all.

A lot of wierdos on the radio but I think the consensus I see is that the ncaa is not going to take down banners...from anyone. So that is something positive.

If the NCAA wants to take down Banners they need to start with the UK Point Shaving Teams (3 Banners)...Move to UCLA (8 Banners)...Go back to 78 UK (4 Banners TOTAL)...Then Travel to Tabacco Road and take a few from Duke (2 Banners) and North Carolina (4 Banners) before they EVEN Consider taking one Banner from Louisville!!!

Now, with all that being said, I can see the NCAA giving Pitino at least a 10 game suspension (Because he was the Head Coach), and loss of 4 schlorships (Lack of Instutional Control...One a year for each year that AM did his DIRTY DEEDS while at Louisville), to go along with the self imposed penalty...And they'd be justified to do so!!!

:cool:

If the NCAA wants to take down Banners they need to start with the UK Point Shaving Teams (3 Banners)...Move to UCLA (8 Banners)...Go back to 78 UK (4 Banners TOTAL)...Then Travel to Tabacco Road and take a few from Duke (2 Banners) and North Carolina (4 Banners) before they EVEN Consider taking one Banner from Louisville!!!

Now, with all that being said, I can see the NCAA giving Pitino at least a 10 game suspension (Because he was the Head Coach), and loss of 4 schlorships (Lack of Instutional Control...One a year for each year that AM did his DIRTY DEEDS while at Louisville), to go along with the self imposed penalty...And they'd be justified to do so!!!

:cool:

The NCAA has cost their lot already with regard to banners. In addition to the above mentions, they also cited Syracuse for major violations across a 10 year period in which the 2002-2003 season was included, yet somehow the 2002-2003 team was immune from any sanctions. What's the difference between that year and all the others? You got it! Banner. Those things might as well be hung with padlocks from cast iron pipes, because those stay.

This is the really strange part in all of this. Why , when he had already left and was no longer affiliated with the program, does he for the first time make a payment with a trail back to him. Was he bitter for not being promoted here? Katina has said that she thought Andre had a thing for her. Could it of been a way to impress the lady he had feelings for by giving her some proof she needed? Just doesn't make any sense at all.

It was precisely because he is no longer in Louisville that there is a paper trail with that last payment. When he was in Louisville, he could make the payments in person in cash - so there would be no paper trail. When he was in Missouri, he had to wire the payment - he wasn't going to drive 350 miles to Louisville just to pay in person.

I don't think there was any bitterness on Andre's part for not being promoted at Louisville. He knows how being an assistant coach works - you work long hours and hop from job to job, and if you are good enough at that job you eventually get a shot as a head coach. I'm sure he considered the move from Louisville to Missouri KC as a promotion and a chance to prove himself.

The bitterness comes in on Katina's side of the equation. When Andre left town, so did her connection to a few grand each year to feed her pot habit.

carddead, if you are truly a Card fan? How about not posting a thread about BB and inviting the trash into our home.
I wouldn't post purely about them. It is about them as a fan base all believing our title will be stripped.

Rick was right in regard to what any potential punishment should be about - MONEY, pure and simple. That's what big time college football and basketball are about. Make it hurt enough financially - for the institution and coaches, if culpable - and stuff won't happen nearly as often. Now that could be in the form of fines, loss of income, even loss of games (providing an indirect financial detriment), etc. But the ""take down the banners" nonsense is a bunch of fanboy talk from old men (mostly) trying to live vicariously through young men, and pointing to wins/championships of these youngsters to boost their own pathetic self-worth and low self-esteem. They can't accept that those aren't "our" titles; and that being able to brag more about how many more championships "we" have does not address the issue with the institutions or coaches.

Basically these UK fans need to go buy more beer and potato chips, pull the t-shirt over their gut, slouch down in their old couch and keep yelling at the TV during games about how stupid the coach is for not listening to basketball geniuses like them (after all, they did make the all-tournament team once in the pee-wee league).

Reactions: CatPhight
They won't take away your banner nor should they. If that's the case take away ucla's 95 banner where every player on that team got paid. I think it was a wise decision to have a self imposed punishment, but there could still be more repercussions. Reguardless, you guys are the 2013 champs

Reactions: American Male
Actually, Kentucky has three banners (48,49,51) that were won by multiple players who were not eligible to play as amateurs at the time. Several of those players also won the Olympic gold medal in 48. None of us know if the investigation has, or will, find evidence that will lead to losing the 2013 banner. Some of those UK posters just love to hate....
Very interesting. In all honestly I don't know much about 40s basketball but could those banners come down? It would be justified for sure.

I have absolutely 0 fear that the banner will be taken down. I would go so far as to say I'm betting the thought of taking the banner away won't even be on the table for the NCAA.

Everything that I have read from Matt Jones is that he doesn't think the banner will come down.

Like previous posters have stated, the NCAA doesn't take away championships. I would be more scared of the 2012 Final Four banner, not the '13 championship banner.

Matt Jones is just flat out obsessed with our program. I have a strong feeling we will have the last laugh. It's one big cycle of outsiders trying to bring the program down year after year. They didn't pay us no mind when we were terrible under Crums last year's or when we were in the conference USA. Fast forward a decade we've upgraded conferences, upgraded to state of the art arenas/stadiums,TWO BCS bowl wins,THREE mens final fours,A men's TITLE,multiple college world series trips,TWO national runner ups in womens basketball and much more.

Yea I'll try to stop that momentum too if the only thing the program I cheer for is a one truck pony with nothing to offer but men's basketball.

Reactions: CatPhight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT