ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Expansion?

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
What do you guys think the Big 12 will decide to do today? They are going to look totally dysfunctional if they come all this way and decide to do nothing.

The question is:

A) No teams
B) 2 teams
C) 4 teams

I think the pool of teams are:

BYU
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Memphis

With this said, the Big 12 is confused and split on direction, so anything could be announced to day. In fact, I can see Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas able abandoning the Big 12.

Reactions: American Male
The question is:

A) No teams
B) 2 teams
C) 4 teams

BYU
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Memphis

With this said, the Big 12 is confused and split on direction, so anything could be announced to day. In fact, I can see Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas able abandoning the Big 12.
Memphis was eliminated months ago.

The question is:

A) No teams
B) 2 teams
C) 4 teams

BYU
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Memphis

UCONN withdrew their application last month as I recall

Guys there have been different stories ever day on Big 12 Expansion. Hopefully we will get the true one today.

The question is:

A) No teams
B) 2 teams
C) 4 teams

BYU
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Memphis

There was also a rumor about Nebraska coming back or a booster wanting
them to. Texas would veto Houston. Thats stupid. Houston belongs in the Big12.

Some of the Baptist reject Mormonism, so BYU might be off the table. Theyd be a
good addition.

If Memphis is out, UC is probably out, although they would be west virginia's
closeth team.

Theyll probably add no one.

Is this a prediction thread?
My guess is that it decides to do nothing today but schedule another meeting to further discuss it in the future (in which nothing will happen again). Texas certainly isn't going to let in Houston while it's eyeing its coach and the Oklahoma schools are also against Houston due to recruiting competition. UC and either USF / UCF are primarily on its radar but don't move the needle much in the eyes of the Big 12-2. Just don't see any scenario where expansion happens at this point.
It's about as dysfunctional as possible and not sure that the "candidates" are now as committed (especially considering the reduced shares of conference revenue right up until the time that the Big 12-2 is probably going to implode) -- might as well stay G5 and wait for another conference to expand or the Big 12-2 to implode and form a newer, better conference without Texas.

I have a hard time thinking the Big 12 will even be around after 2024 when their current TV and Grant of Rights deal expires, whether they expand or not. They just don't have any options. They have 10 teams. They can't poach the SEC, they can't poach the ACC, they can poach the Big 10 but none of those schools will be dumb enough to leave, and they won't be able to convince Pac 12 members to leave for the Big 12. Because they are at 10 member schools and their footprint doesn't extend very far, they won't be able to get in line for a Network. So basically if they stay intact they won't be able to bridge the money gap between themselves and the other 4 Power conferences. If they expand with the options on the table they dilute their brand. Oklahoma and Texas won't likely stick around in that situation.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Whew! Absolutely hate it for UC. For the Big 12 to dangle that golden nugget in front of them (and others) only to yank it, screw them!

Whew! Absolutely hate it for UC. For the Big 12 to dangle that golden nugget in front of them (and others) only to yank it, screw them!
Yep. This whole process has been way too public with leaks, important people speaking out of turn and contradicting each other. It wreaks of dysfunctionality. Every other conference realignment has been more frank and up front. When the ACC invited Louisville, nobody made it public who the ACC preferred. Also, it was completely disclosed that the ACC was going to replace Maryland and the only question was who it would be. You didn't have ACC ADs making it clear publically what they preferred and disrupting the integrity of the process. They just made a decision and did it and it worked out great for Louisville and for the ACC. If it is true that they don't expand, it will be interesting to see how the Big 12 spins how this entire process has gone. They've kind of waisted everybodies' time.

I have a hard time thinking the Big 12 will even be around after 2024 when their current TV and Grant of Rights deal expires, whether they expand or not. They just don't have any options. They have 10 teams. They can't poach the SEC, they can't poach the ACC, they can poach the Big 10 but none of those schools will be dumb enough to leave, and they won't be able to convince Pac 12 members to leave for the Big 12. Because they are at 10 member schools and their footprint doesn't extend very far, they won't be able to get in line for a Network. So basically if they stay intact they won't be able to bridge the money gap between themselves and the other 4 Power conferences. If they expand with the options on the table they dilute their brand. Oklahoma and Texas won't likely stick around in that situation.

Definitely don't agree expanding now would dilute their brand.

USF and UCF are both HUGE schools, as are UC and UH. Just going by enrollment all 4 exceed the enrollment of the majority of Power 5 schools and all are in metro areas. Furthermore, with a P5 imprimatur, all four could make great progress in their programs. If they're smart, they'll take those four and be done with it.

That said, I'm not predicting they're smart since they've not done anything to show that they are.

What do you guys think the Big 12 will decide to do today? They are going to look totally dysfunctional if they come all this way and decide to do nothing.
I see the Big 12(10t) is doing what the Big East did many years ago, each school has their own agenda and they are sticking to it with a dam the league and playoffs. We are very fortunate that WVU was selected and not us. Thank you dysfunctional Big 12(10t) league, thank you.

Definitely don't agree expanding now would dilute their brand.

USF and UCF are both HUGE schools, as are UC and UH. Just going by enrollment all 4 exceed the enrollment of the majority of Power 5 schools and all are in metro areas. Furthermore, with a P5 imprimatur, all four could make great progress in their programs. If they're smart, they'll take those four and be done with it.

That said, I'm not predicting they're smart since they've not done anything to show that they are.
this is a model they should follow. They have paid a few million dollars for research and should have honestly paid you for the services. Great post.

I see the Big 12(10t) is doing what the Big East did many years ago, each school has their own agenda and they are sticking to it with a dam the league and playoffs. We are very fortunate that WVU was selected and not us. Thank you dysfunctional Big 12(10t) league, thank you.
Remember how out of the blue, both Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced they were leaving? I can see something like that with the Oklahoma schools.

I can see Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Kansas finding new homes among the SEC, Big 10+4, and ACC. The others...West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor may be left out in the cold, begging for entrance into the American and/or Mountain West. Personally, I'd feel bad for those schools... but I would absolutely love to see West Virginia begging to be in an Upper Mid-Major league.

I can see Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Kansas finding new homes among the SEC, Big 10+4, and ACC. The others...West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor may be left out in the cold, begging for entrance into the American and/or Mountain West. Personally, I'd feel bad for those schools... but I would absolutely love to see West Virginia begging to be in an Upper Mid-Major league.

The only viable expansion now rest with the PAC-12...Once the B-12 GOR's Expire, there WILL be four teams headed out west...I'm guessing the Oklahoma Schools along with Texas and Texas Tech...That puts the PAC at 16 teams!!!

Kansas (KC and Kansas Market) may find a home in the BIG along with U-Conn (NE Market)...Don't kid yourself...They'll take a Basketball Blue Blood, and a Basketball Power, to be Football Punching Bags, to go along with Maryland and Rutgers...That puts the BIG at 16 teams!!!

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU and West Virginia would be hard pressed to find a new P-5 Home...With WVU having the BEST chance to land somewhere...ACC or SEC...The rest of them are MWC Bound...That puts the MWC at 16 teams!!!

That leaves the ACC and SEC needing to add one to two teams to get to 16 teams each, and the options are SLIM...Cincinnati, East Carolina, Florida Directional Schools, Houston, Kansas State (SEC...They have Missouri...So???), and West Virginia (Can't see the ACC taking them)!!!

ACC ADD:
Cincinnati (Cincy and Ohio Market and Recruiting...Partnered with Louisville, Virginia and Virginia Tech as a Central POD)!!!

Notre Dame (Enough Said...Partnered with Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse as a North POD)!!!

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami and North Carolina as a East POD...

Clemson, FSU, NC State and Wake as a South POD...

SEC ADD:

Kansas State (Partnered with Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A&M as a West POD)!!!

West Virginia (West Virginia Market...Middle of ACC Footprint...Partnered with Kentucky, Tennessee and Vandy as a North POD)!!!

Alabama, LSU, Mississippi and Mississippi State as a South POD...

Auburn, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina as a East POD...

Could Happen...NEVER Know!!!

:cool:

Reactions: Cue Card
I believe that conference is on track to eventually disband as it is known today. Just as soon as Texas and Oklahoma move on to their next conferences then the rest will simply fade into the woodwork. Just look at their former members than chose to move on rather than deal with UT: Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M. Those schools alone would make a pretty good football conference.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I believe that conference is on track to eventually disband as it is known today. Just as soon as Texas and Oklahoma move on to their next conferences then the rest will simply fade into the woodwork. Just look at their former members than chose to move on rather than deal with UT: Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M. Those schools alone would make a pretty good football conference.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

That why again ....just no to any Texas involvement with the ACC...They are Conference Poison

Texas won't be moving to the ACC. If they move anywhere, it'll be to the PAC12 or whatever new name they decide on, and they'll take Oklahoma and OK State with them. That's bad news for teams like Baylor and Texas Tech who will probably be on the outside looking in once the conference alignments are over and done with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT