ADVERTISEMENT

Be Legendary

What has me SMH is how they convince themselves that Dawson was responsible for last season's failure. From letting Williams play again after he quit the team because he wasn't getting enough carries, to the receivers intentionally screwing up because they wanted Barker as QB to obvious coaching blunders is all on Stoops. I've seen Peewee teams better organized than UK last year. I lived through the Kragthorpe years I know a bad coach when I see one. Most UK fans don't seem very knowledgeable about the sport.

Dawson was, at the least, a big part of UK's struggles last season. UK regressed on offense in almost every single category. The offense had no identity, play calling was questionable at best, and there was a divide in the locker room on that side of the ball. Hell, Dawson said he didn't adjust play calling based on personnel in the game lol.

Gran was a great hire. He recruits the South, especially Florida. He has a proven system with an identity. He has tons of experience, some of that in the SEC. As such he'll help with some of the in game things Stoops has struggled with, like clock management, personnel groupings, etc.

As for the WRs purposely screwing things up, I'm not sure of the validity of that statement, though it wouldn't surprise me. Lorenzon is the origin of that line of thought, and he is really close to Towles. If true, the WRs have their QB this year, so they better produce.

LOL @ "Gran the Savior"............UK fans do this every year. Any excuse to wipe the poo of the past season off a face.

Is Gran going to help these stats?

UK gave up 27 points to Eastern Kentucky and nearly became the 4th best team in the state instead of 3rd best. Gave up 33 to LLU. They then concluded the season (omitting the Charlotte game against a team in their first Div 1 year) by giving up an average of 40 points a game for 7 consecutive games.

And this was against the most favorable schedule in years, lol.

Just how good will this guy have to be to overcome that? Jesus Good?

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I've never seen a fan base of a legendary team, be so excited about a Grambling backup qb possibly transferring their. I don't know whether to laugh at them or feel sorry for them?

LOL @ "Gran the Savior"............UK fans do this every year. Any excuse to wipe the poo of the past season off a face.

Is Gran going to help these stats?

UK gave up 27 points to Eastern Kentucky and nearly became the 4th best team in the state instead of 3rd best. Gave up 33 to LLU. They then concluded the season (omitting the Charlotte game against a team in their first Div 1 year) by giving up an average of 40 points a game for 7 consecutive games.

And this was against the most favorable schedule in years, lol.

Just how good will this guy have to be to overcome that? Jesus Good?

Did you watch those games? If not, I'm sure you watched the UofL/UK game. That game was to some extent like most games at the end of the year. UK struggled mightily to sustain drives and put points on the board. Gran isn't a DC, so his impact on points allowed is going to come from keeping the ball, keeping the D rested, and not putting them in bad situations.

I didn't call Gran a savior. I said that he is a great hire, and he is. He addresses many issues UK needs to handle. Most media covering the hire called it a great hire.

Also, while the schedule looks more daunting this upcoming season than last, it's not really that big of a jump. And, of course, we won't really know how difficult the upcoming schedule really is until the end of the year. Last season's schedule was a top 5 schedule at the beginning of the season, only to fall as the year went along.

I've never seen a fan base of a legendary team, be so excited about a Grambling backup qb possibly transferring their. I don't know whether to laugh at them or feel sorry for them?

Johnson is being brought in to push Barker some, but the main reason for him joining the team is for depth. Without him UK was going to have two scholarship QBs on the roster, one being a true freshman.

The LPT ambition of late is for an athletic QB out of the mold of Lamar Jackson. They can't stop one themselves on defense, so they think that's their answer on offense. Nothing wrong with that logic.

o_O

As far as their new OC, he's just their latest flavor of ice cream. The last guy couldn't call plays, and neither could the guy before. Their problems just cascade from one bad decision to the next.

Welcome to LPT football.

LPT Football: You'd think we would accidentally make a good decision at some point...

The LPT ambition of late is for an athletic QB out of the mold of Lamar Jackson. They can't stop one themselves on defense, so they think that's their answer on offense. Nothing wrong with that logic.

o_O

As far as their new OC, he's just their latest flavor of ice cream. The last guy couldn't call plays, and neither could the guy before. Their problems just cascade from one bad decision to the next.

Welcome to LPT football.

LPT Football: You'd think we would accidentally make a good decision at some point...

Running the QB has been a big part of the UK offense all three years Stoops has been at UK. Brown did it more than Dawson(and more than I liked his second year), but even Dawson called it numerous times a game. Gran at Cincy also called designed QB runs and zone read plays. No matter who the QB is UK will run them this year, just like they have the previous three. Sure, they won't feature it as much as UofL, but neither Barker or Johnson are as athletic as Jackson.

You're a numbers guy. Dawson couldn't call plays, and installed a lame offense. The numbers show UK's regression on offense from the previous year despite having a good bit of returning players with another year of experience.

Johnson is being brought in to push Barker some, but the main reason for him joining the team is for depth. Without him UK was going to have two scholarship QBs on the roster, one being a true freshman.

In all fairness, possibly you guys biggest win in the last 10 years was when you used a wr at the qb position.

Did Dawson only put 8 men on the field for a punt return? Call time out to freeze his own kicker? It's a replay of last year. Dawson was the savior who took over for Brown. Was it Dawson's fault that the UK defense didn't prepare for Jackson? The entire Stoops era is like deja vu from Kragthorpe here. Run through coordinators every year, blaming the past head coach for everything wrong. No organization or player development. The difference was UL fans knew enough about the sport to not buy into the propaganda. UK fans eat it up and base everything on star ratings.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/dont-deny-climate-change-recruiting-rankings-matter
Did Dawson only put 8 men on the field for a punt return? Call time out to freeze his own kicker? It's a replay of last year. Dawson was the savior who took over for Brown. Was it Dawson's fault that the UK defense didn't prepare for Jackson? The entire Stoops era is like deja vu from Kragthorpe here. Run through coordinators every year, blaming the past head coach for everything wrong. No organization or player development. The difference was UL fans knew enough about the sport to not buy into the propaganda. UK fans eat it up and base everything on star ratings.

Of course Dawson isn't responsible for all those things. To be fair though, he is at least somewhat to blame for the ST blunders. I also already stated that the Gran hire is one that will help Stoops shore up some of his weaknesses in clock management, personnel groupings, etc. Stoops is acknowledging and attempting to remedy his faults. Seems like a plan to me. The media have said it was a great hire, including Howie who said he likes Gran.

This will be Stoops' fourth year. If he doesn't make it to a bowl he should be fired. But there isn't a comparison between Stoops and Krags. Krags took over a top 10 team, Stoops took over a 2-10 team with what was labeled as one of the five worst rosters among Power 5 teams. Krags was playing in the dying BE. Stoops is playing in the SEC. Uk also hasn't ran through coordinators every year. Brown was here for two, and then took a HC job. Dawson was fired after one season of a putrid offense. Peveeto took the ST job at LSU. Other than that, the coordinators have remained consistent, as have most of the staff.

Finally, recruiting rankings aren't everything, but they play a huge factor in a team's success. In the south it's said that the two biggest sports are football, and football recruiting. There's good reasons for that. The link below goes into recruiting from the last decade and a half or so. That's plenty of data, and it overwhelmingly shows that recruiting rankings do indeed matter.

Sounds like they should have made Gran the head coach. The disorganization, lack of game plan or in game adjustments, player development and letting the inmates running the asylum is all on the head coach. The difference I have seen between SK and Stoops is that Kragthorpe looked completely bewildered on the side lines while Stoops spends his time throwing temper tantrums and screaming at the officials. All in with Stoops is my motto.

Pretty typical. If you cant debate someone smarter than you, ul fans will attack and threaten them. JAUK11 is a very good freind of mine, and I will personally attest that there IS nobody with the insight and knowledge of the recruiting scene than him. One would be A FOOL to debate him.
He has suffered greatly because he speaks the truth about Jurich. Like myself, he has suffered from his brave campaign to expose the truth to the world. Strange viruses infect our computers, windowless vans driving in front of our homes, suspicious blocked calls from people claiming we owe them money. All a concerted effort of Tom's to intimidate and silence the opposition.
He makes a good point; you would have to be a fool to debate him. It would be like wrestling with a pig: both of you would get muddy and the pig would enjoy it.

For what it is worth, UK ended the season ranked 81st by Sagarin. Nine of their opponents, next year, were ranked in the top 70, with Vandy ranked 82. If Barker doesn't pan out, or gets hurt, they could easily have a melt down season. Of course, the JUCO kid might save them. Georgia, Missouri and South Carolina have new coaches, and Kentucky has a new OC, so there is a lot of unknown. I'll be very surprised if the cats get more than five wins, and not surprised at all with three or four. The prediction mill is already percolating over on the Lair. It always makes me smile....

...You're a numbers guy. Dawson couldn't call plays, and installed a lame offense. The numbers show UK's regression on offense from the previous year despite having a good bit of returning players with another year of experience.
LPT TOTAL OFFENSE
2015: 89th @ 372 ypg
2014: 79th @ 384 ypg

You mean to tell me you clowns got rid of the guy after one year because he averaged 12 yards less per game?

Like Towles said, sounds like a scapegoat to me.

LPT Football: Well, we couldn't blame Stupes...

LPT TOTAL OFFENSE

You mean to tell me you clowns got rid of the guy after one year because he averaged 12 yards less per game?

You just proving our point!! One with a high football IQ knows that football is a game of inches. 12 yards is 432 inches!!
The reality is those 12 yards are what cost us a 9 win season. We were oh so close, last year and if it wasnt Dawson and Joker recruits sabotaging the program we would have done it !!

Reactions: Red Rager
You just proving our point!! One with a high football IQ knows that football is a game of inches. 12 yards is 432 inches!!
The reality is those 12 yards are what cost us a 9 win season. We were oh so close, last year and if it wasnt Dawson and Joker recruits sabotaging the program we would have done it !!
Wow...

You just proving our point!! One with a high football IQ knows that football is a game of inches. 12 yards is 432 inches!! The reality is those 12 yards are what cost us a 9 win season. We were oh so close, last year and if it wasnt Dawson and Joker recruits sabotaging the program we would have done it !!
homer is absolutely the best!

LPT Football: He ain't one of us...

Pretty typical. If you cant debate someone smarter than you, ul fans will attack and threaten them. JAUK11 is a very good freind of mine, and I will personally attest that there IS nobody with the insight and knowledge of the recruiting scene than him. One would be A FOOL to debate him.
He has suffered greatly because he speaks the truth about Jurich. Like myself, he has suffered from his brave campaign to expose the truth to the world. Strange viruses infect our computers, windowless vans driving in front of our homes, suspicious blocked calls from people claiming we owe them money. All a concerted effort of Tom's to intimidate and silence the opposition.
LMAO again. This one deserves a frame, I swear.

The ridicule your poor good bud got in those threads was off the charts hilarious.

It was the most purely infantile thread in the history of the internets and it exposed poor Jauk to a level of ridicule he richly deserved - and which he may not even understand. I haven't laughed that hard at a thread in months.

LPT TOTAL OFFENSE

12 yards less against a much weaker schedule. And that's only part of the stats.

12 yards less against a much weaker schedule. And that's only part of the stats.
The SEC East has sucked for several years, and your nonconference schedule has been a dumpster fire longer than that.

Total offense is the best overall offensive stat to use. Hence its name.

You fired Dawson because someone's head needed chopping. And there wasn't a waiting list to interview your new guy.

LPT Football: Tough finding open land in a coaching graveyard...

As for the WRs purposely screwing things up, I'm not sure of the validity of that statement, though it wouldn't surprise me. Lorenzon is the origin of that line of thought, and he is really close to Towles. If true, the WRs have no honor, and shouldn't be on the team.

FIFY

Finally, recruiting rankings aren't everything, but they play a huge factor in a team's success.

It more than likely matters most at the very top.

But once you venture outside of the top 5/10, whatever range, the classes become very similar for the next large group of teams. And even in the top 5/10 there will be multiple programs that don't come close to living up to that rating.

If you look @ the Rivals 2013 ratings, you'll find half the Recruiting Top 25 programs didn't finish ranked this year.

UCLA, Auburn, A&M, UGA, Southern Cal, South Carolina, Nebraska, Washington, Vandy, Miami FL, Va Tech, Texas, and WVU.

If you look @ the Rivals 2012 ratings, you'll find nearly half the Recruiting Top 25 programs didn't finish ranked this year.

Texas, Southern Cal, Auburn, Miami FL, UGA, UCLA, A&M, South Carolina, Washington, Va Tech, Cal, Rutgers, Nebraska

Some repeat offenders there.

So using recruiting rankings for the upperclassmen (Jrs/Srs) for 2015 season indicate it's 50/50 in terms of finishing ranked. And even some of the teams that finish ranked will say there seasons were disappointing! It seems like roughly 70-80% of the top 10 does indeed get ranked a couple years later, which is good, but once you exit the top 10, the % drops significantly. I realize this is a very broad view of recruiting.

There's a bias involved in those rating systems, and when half the top 25 recruiting classes end up outside of the rankings at the end of the year most years, that doesn't point to a major determinant of team success, at least not if you're outside the top 10 - which UK always is.

You're using inconsequential data to boost up your mindset about the UK program instead of meaningful data when you bring recruiting class rankings for UK into these discussions. If UK ever lands a top 5 or top 10 football recruiting class then you have something to get excited about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senore2006

But once you venture outside of the top 5/10, whatever range, the classes become very similar for the next large group of teams. And even in the top 5/10 there will be multiple programs that don't come close to living up to that rating.

If you look @ the Rivals 2013 ratings, you'll find half the Recruiting Top 25 programs didn't finish ranked this year.

UCLA, Auburn, A&M, UGA, Southern Cal, South Carolina, Nebraska, Washington, Vandy, Miami FL, Va Tech, Texas, and WVU.

If you look @ the Rivals 2012 ratings, you'll find nearly half the Recruiting Top 25 programs didn't finish ranked this year.

Texas, Southern Cal, Auburn, Miami FL, UGA, UCLA, A&M, South Carolina, Washington, Va Tech, Cal, Rutgers, Nebraska

So using recruiting rankings for the upperclassmen (Jrs/Srs) for 2015 season indicate it's 50/50 in terms of finishing ranked. And even some of the teams that finish ranked will say there seasons were disappointing! It seems like roughly 70-80% of the top 10 does indeed get ranked a couple years later, which is good, but once you exit the top 10, the % drops significantly. I realize this is a very broad view of recruiting.

There's a bias involved in those rating systems, and when half the top 25 recruiting classes end up outside of the rankings at the end of the year most years, that doesn't point to a major determinant of team success, at least not if you're outside the top 10 - which UK always is.

You're using inconsequential data to boost up your mindset about the UK program instead of meaningful data when you bring recruiting class rankings for UK into these discussions. If UK ever lands a top 5 or top 10 football recruiting class then you have something to get excited about.

You are correct that once you get past the top 5-10 classes there is a big drop off, and that the margin between teams shrinks once you get out of that 5-10 range.

But, the article I posted covers that.

I'm not using any inconsequential data when speaking about UK and recruiting rankings. The article states that the roster with the higher average recruiting class over the last four years wins almost %70 of the time in games among Power 5 teams, and including the big independents..

^^^

UK's class rankings the last three years

2013 = 29, Wins 2
2014 = 17, Wins 5
2015 = 35, Wins 5

The recruiting classes are not having an extreme impact on the field. That makes the recruiting class data pretty much inconsequential.

Program is set up to struggle mightily next season as well, most are predicting 5 wins maximum.

There is no momentum. There have been no results. The only constants are changes, losing seasons, and a small count of strangely optimistic fans. Program is breaking in a new system again, and the starting QB has taken very few snaps and looked horrible in those games. There is no quality depth behind him.

If recruiting mattered as much as you thought it did, UK would have certainly won enough games to reach a bowl with 8 home games on their schedule last year, and most certainly have something going for themselves heading into year four.

The only intriguing thing about UK is discussing who it's next coach is going to be.

UK is 1000-1 to win the title per Vegas and that's an underlay.

Last edited:

I was once told that total ignorance is blissful. Question homerblue: IS IT? :D

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mayoman
^^^

2013 = 29, Wins 2
2014 = 17, Wins 5
2015 = 35, Wins 5

The recruiting classes are not having an extreme impact on the field. That makes the recruiting class data pretty much inconsequential.

Program is set up to struggle mightily next season as well, most are predicting 5 wins maximum.

There is no momentum. There have been no results. The only constants are changes, losing seasons, and a small count of strangely optimistic fans. Program is breaking in a new system again, and the starting QB has taken very few snaps and looked horrible in those games. There is no quality depth behind him.

If recruiting mattered as much as you thought it did, UK would have certainly won enough games to reach a bowl with 8 home games on their schedule last year, and most certainly have something going for themselves heading into year four.

The only intriguing thing about UK is discussing who it's next coach is going to be.

1000-1 to win the National Championship. So you are saying they have a chance? It is amazing how every year they bring in a new coordinator and all of a sudden he is the savior until the season starts then its the same thing.

Last edited:
The SEC East has sucked for several years, and your nonconference schedule has been a dumpster fire longer than that.

Total offense is the best overall offensive stat to use. Hence its name.

You fired Dawson because someone's head needed chopping. And there wasn't a waiting list to interview your new guy.

LPT Football: Tough finding open land in a coaching graveyard...

No, it isn't. That's a generic stat that takes no variables into account. When looking at the numbers on offense using stats that take into account things like SoS, some have UK's offense regressing 30 spots in the rankings.

^^^

2013 = 29, Wins 2
2014 = 17, Wins 5
2015 = 35, Wins 5

So, I'm assuming you didn't read the article? It's not what I think. The numbers are right there. 15 years of data says the team with the higher ranked average recruiting class over a four year period wins %70 of games among Power 5 and big independent teams. It's not a debate. Those are the facts.

Stoops has yet to have four years of recruiting. Even his first class was put together in two months. The last two years his 14 and 15 classes have dominated the depth charts. I think I'll allow for their development.

UK won about what was expected of them by Vegas, media, and realistic fans. Using the above recruiting numbers, UK actually won a game(maybe two, not going to do the math) they shouldn't have. They were dogs against USC, who has recruited better than UK, and beat Mizzou, who I assume has recruited better than UK.

This isn't to say it's infallible. There's something to be said for evaluation, development, and continuity in coaching philosophies.

No, it isn't. That's a generic stat that takes no variables into account...
Like a true slapd!ck, you've got it backwards...

If Total Offense has a weakness as a stat, it's because it rolls up EVERYTHING into one number. It basically says your offense is only as good as the yards per game you gain while on offense. That's a little simplistic, but NOT because it leaves out variables.

And I'll bet if you can find me more specific stats that argue your point, I can find others that do the opposite. That is, they wash out when you aggregate everything as Total Offense.

Your offense under Dawson was about the same as it was the prior year. It was just a helluva lot cheaper to fire him than Stupes.

LPT Football: We wanted to can both of them...

Reactions: Mayoman
So, I'm assuming you didn't read the article? It's not what I think. The numbers are right there. 15 years of data says the team with the higher ranked average recruiting class over a four year period wins %70 of games among Power 5 and big independent teams. It's not a debate. Those are the facts.

Stoops has yet to have four years of recruiting. Even his first class was put together in two months. The last two years his 14 and 15 classes have dominated the depth charts. I think I'll allow for their development.

UK won about what was expected of them by Vegas, media, and realistic fans. Using the above recruiting numbers, UK actually won a game(maybe two, not going to do the math) they shouldn't have. They were dogs against USC, who has recruited better than UK, and beat Mizzou, who I assume has recruited better than UK.

This isn't to say it's infallible. There's something to be said for evaluation, development, and continuity in coaching philosophies.
So, how do explain Vandy beating UK

Or losing to Louisville after setting a record for points in the first quarter of that game?

Let me help - it's called H-E-A-R-T.

Most of us believe Stupes' is measured in Troy Ounces.

UK has a basketball mindset. They think it's all recruiting 0 coaching. In football that is just flat out wrong.

Reactions: JohnCard28
They can't understand why all the experts don't see what those loony tunes see. As Hopgood said it is a group of strangely optimistic lunatics.

Next year is the 4th year. They are expected to win no more than five games.

What does the link tell us they will win?
Whatever that number is for next year, uk will need to reach that before their 12th game. It is almost sad how quickly they get over a horrible season and start pumping up the next one. Smdh

I believe in 2014 it was "A Nation Awakes"

Go Cats!
ugly-man-laugh-smiley-emoticon.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT