ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball playoff format/bracket?

Oct 12, 2007
Morgantown, WV
I admit complete ignorance about NCAA baseball playoffs and I'd like to fix this. Is it a bracket like in basketball? What happens if the Cards win next weekend? Any link to a graphic that lays this all out would be terrific.

I have no link, but ... like you, until we got to Omaha in 2007, was clueless too.

It's simple, and very symmetrical, which I like.

Here's how it works.

64 teams get in. Their are a Top 8 seeds in the tourney and they are matched up like the hoops tourney (where 1 would meet 8 eventually, etc.)

First Round (Regionals) is 16 cites, Four Team double elimination tourneys. The top 8 in the tourney are seeded, and if they win their regional, will host at the next level.

Second Round (Super Regionals) is basically a Sweet Sixteen, and is a best of 3 series pitting two of the Regional winners together. This year, we are matched up with the #2 overall seed, Vandy.

The 8 winners here go to Omaha, for the College World Series, where the above format is repeated.

First, 2, Four team double elimination tourneys.

Then, a best of 3 series between the two winners of the double eliminations, for the overall championship.

The college baseball postseason is the most underrated tournament in all of sports. Its a blast to watch/follow from the first game to the CWS championship. The best part, its baseball which means ANYTHING can happen. A team that gets hot at the right time can spoil the party. FAU just about did it this past weekend to the #1 overall seed UNC.

Originally posted by Morgantown Card:
I admit complete ignorance about NCAA baseball playoffs and I'd like to fix this. Is it a bracket like in basketball? What happens if the Cards win next weekend? Any link to a graphic that lays this all out would be terrific.
Yes, it's a bracket like in basketball, but different in that you can lose up to 4 games and still win the championship.

If we win this weekend, we advance to the Elite 8 (aka College World Series in Omaha, Neb). Beat the Dores!

Here you go!
This post was edited on 6/6 8:31 AM by PushupMan

NCAA Tournament Bracket

Thanks PushUp for posting that.

I really think we have a tall order getting past Vandy, especially there where we haven't ever won a game.

But it's great to see the bracket, and who we'd be paired up with should we get past the Commodores.

There is NO cinderella in the tourney left, as all the 1 seeds made it to this round but two -- Rice a 2 seed, and Oklahoma a 2 seed. VERY chalky this year.

Lots of ACC flavor left too.

Seven of the past nine College World Series champions did not receive one of the top eight national seeds.

Only one No. 1 seed has won it all - Miami, in 1999.

Arizona, unseeded, was the champion last year.

Just 61.6 percent of the top eight seeds have made it to Omaha since 1999, when the Super Regional format was adopted by the NCAA

Since 1999, 21 seeded teams have failed to make it out of their regional. Five seeded teams lost in 2007 including Vanderbilt, the No. 1 seed.

This post was edited on 6/6 3:36 PM by baseonballs

Hosting doesn't guarantee trip to Omaha

VERY underrated. Arizona came from out of the woodwork to win last year, as did SoCarolina three years ago. Teams get hot, teams underperform. One bad day doesn't mean you're out. A trip to Omaha for the WCS is high on my bucket list.

I had the pleasure of watching the WCWS during my recent hospital stay and it was awesome. I had never watched a womens' game in its entirety in my life until last week, but managed to watch 15 innings of UF and NU. I couldn't turn it off. The ladies put on quite a show and I am quite confident the men will do the same.

Originally posted by PushupMan:

Originally posted by Morgantown Card:
Yes, it's a bracket like in basketball, but different in that you can lose up to 4 games and still win the championship.

If we win this weekend, we advance to the Elite 8 (aka College World Series in Omaha, Neb). Beat the Dores!

Here you go!

This post was edited on 6/6 8:31 AM by PushupMan
I have to say for the round of 64 they did a good job of seeding the brackets. 14 out of 16 still playing are #1 seeds and the other 2 are #2 seeds. That is pretty impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT