ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball America's top 25. Cards are #2.

This proves 233 point on what’s going on around the country in college baseball.
I'm advocating for this group of Cardinals to hit their stride at just the right time. Timing means a lot imo. This program has rarely seen so many early struggles in the last 10 years.... and still #2.

Everyone struggling will mean it's all about getting good at the right time. There were some positive signs over the weekend that these guys are heading towards that stride.
FSU fought toe to toe for 25 innings before the Cards found another gear.

What it tells me is college baseball is down in 2021. No way should Louisville be ranked 2nd with the kind of losses they have. In a normal season, they would maybe still be in the top 10.

Now this doesn't mean the Cards can't make a world series run and if their pitching and defense improve, they are a dangerous team, but to be ranked #2 is solely due to the programs elite status as a baseball powerhouse.

Not much different than college football where Notre Dame is almost always overrated or how it took Duke in hoops forever to drop out of the rankings this year. Louisville baseball has reached this kind of status and as a fan I love it, but in no way do I believe the Cards are the 2nd best team or deserve such a high ranking.

But maybe by the end of the season they will be?

What it tells me is college baseball is down in 2021. No way should Louisville be ranked 2nd with the kind of losses they have. In a normal season, they would maybe still be in the top 10.

Now this doesn't mean the Cards can't make a world series run and if their pitching and defense improve, they are a dangerous team, but to be ranked #2 is solely due to the programs elite status as a baseball powerhouse.

Not much different than college football where Notre Dame is almost always overrated or how it took Duke in hoops forever to drop out of the rankings this year. Louisville baseball has reached this kind of status and as a fan I love it, but in no way do I believe the Cards are the 2nd best team or deserve such a high ranking.

But maybe by the end of the season they will be?
Well, there's no chance the pollsters and pundits watch every Louisville game. My guess is they see a loaded roster, future MLBers, a pitching staff not at full health, but still lead the ACC.

I agree totally. They're giving Louisville the benefit of the doubt. The ACC has been a high level baseball conference but in 2021 that is not the case. The usual powerhouse programs are struggling, Louisville the least. Notre Dame and Virginia Tech are usually bottom feeders.

But results are what is supposed to be how we measure a ranking and the Cards have lost 5 games against teams that are what basketball fans call "cupcakes".

But none of it means anything. Look at the baseball RPI. Furman is in the top 5.

Louisville's ranking means nothing today and it's certainly not important on how far the Cards will go.

Those at Baseball America know what they are doing; they have both historical knowledge, as well as exposure to the National College landscape. Unlike the Basketball rankings, they pay less attention to the records, particularly the mid-week games, as they understand how the weekend Conference contests are far more critical to where each school will be by tournament time.

I will defer to GOCDS for his more insightful opinion in terms of comparing UL baseball teams from one season to the next, but I think this roster‘s offensive capability along with its exceptional speed is as good as we have had.

Pitching performance so far has been disappointing, particularly in middle relief and clearly not up to last year’s rotation, but I think most in college baseball circles understand our injuries, and these sub-performances thus far will likely evaporate by conference tournament time.

Lastly, this 2021 team is still in 1st place in one of the two ACC divisions and that alone should confirm why UL a commands so much respect from the so-called experts.

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT