ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky

I have officially soured on the team and moreso on coach Williams. I don’t see how, after two years of very successful recruiting classes, this pitching staff can be this bad. Plus, no info comes from the program. Status on Forbes, Anderson, Campbell. They keep throwing the same guys out on the mound and they get the same results. Everyone hits HRs off of Corbett. He is good for one inning amd the. He should be pulled. Where is Koger? Gundy? Anyone.

Reactions: Deeva
No concept of changing speed on straight pitches either. Whoever is calling pitches needs to be fired. Where's the straight change? If they can't throw one why are the playing college ball? You know a fastball is coming, the count says so. So what does the coach call? Fastball down the middle and another dent in the batters eye in centerfield.

Reactions: Bardman and Deeva
This staff has given up close to 50 runs in 4 games. They are awful. Corbett has no clue where his pitches are going he just throws. They are constantly squared up. It is odd to see pitchers getting smoked at this level.

There is something going on there is a major disconnect between Williams and his pitchers. No way you go 15 years with legit arms then since Covid they fall off the planet in terms of legit arms.

I hope our coach doesn’t complain about facilities after this mess. Own it and fix it. He is a wonderful coach but may be getting caught up in this new world.

This is absolutely ridiculous. This is at KP level of performance. What do we have, high school pitchers? Looks like it.

I know most teams now call pitches from the dugout these days, but at Louisville that is not working. If that's how it's going to be, then forget this program returning to elite status.

I think what he has done at Louisville is absolutely incredible. I really don’t know what has gone on since Covid. It is weird.

This is absolutely ridiculous. This is at KP level of performance. What do we have, high school pitchers? Looks like it.

I know most teams now call pitches from the dugout these days, but at Louisville that is not working. If that's how it's going to be, then forget this program returning to elite status.
Never been a fan of dugout calling pitches. There is a rhythm between pitcher and catcher the dugout doesn't even have a clue about. A pitcher may not be feeling certain pitches, the catcher sees and understands this, the dugout doesn't. All they will see is tendencies. I would never except what a coach in the dugout tells me to throw other than a pitch out. That's where pitchers should be doing their homework, not relying on the bench.

Reactions: TheRealVille
I think the pitches have been called from the dugout for a really long time. Thing is, either calls being made are poor, execution of the pitches called are poor or both.

Reactions: rh62531
I think the pitches have been called from the dugout for a really long time. Thing is, either calls being made are poor, execution of the pitches called are poor or both.
Our pitchers have no stuff. They are throwers not pitchers.. None have an overpowering fastball, none are good junkerballers. They're just not very good, whether it's the coaching or talent I don't know..

Reactions: rh62531 and Bardman
Understand that. But when a pitcher is consistently wild with say a curve and the dugout continues to call that pitch then there is a disconnect. Whoever is calling pitches for the cards just flat out doesn't have a clue right now. I would trust the pitchers judgment more.

Reactions: Bardman
And it doesn't prepare them for the next level. A pitcher has to learn what to throw on any given at bat. And how is it fun to be a pitcher when you can't throw what you may want to?

Imagine the 3rd base coach giving the batter the swing and take calls electronically on each pitch. It's absurd as it is to have experienced pitchers having to rely on a pitching coach to know what to throw. I hate it!

Reactions: UofLouisville
As early as the 2nd and 3rd inning, I expected UK would “10 run rule” us. They had several 8-10 run leads, but I give this roster credit for refusing to quit on the offensive end. The 4 errors were uncharacteristic of this Program, and I believe it contributed to the 4 run loss almost as much as the pitching rotation’s failure to find the strike zone.

I remain a fan of CDM, but he needs to acknowledge that UL baseball cannot rely on the past, it must accept the Portal as a necessity for competing in college baseball. There is some congruity between Denny’s refusal to embrace the 3 point shot, and Dan’s slow reaction to the Portal.

Reactions: 73Card
If his recruits were throwing strikes, not walking and hitting batters and not giving up HRs every game…he wouldn’t need the portal. Just sayin’.

They actually have a plan for each batter. How they want to pitch them. NC State the plan was to pitch on the outside to their pull heavy hitters. They did a good job. They just didn’t do anything well against UK.

Calling pitches from the dugout has always been done at this level. Now there may be older guys that have luxury to call their own stuff. Detmers and Miller as juniors may of been given some freedom.

The issue isn’t calling of the actual pitch it is the location of the pitch. Corbett’s home runs were awful locations. The fastball was waist high right down the middle. The curve was hung. Add in the fact the Louisville pitchers were always behind in the count. Good veteran hitters don’t miss often especially if they are consistently in hitters counts and pitchers can’t hit spots. UK-Virginia had hitters that take a really good approach. It was a mismatch.

The last couple years it has been a staff full of guys that couldn’t hit spots. Even if they could change speeds if they can’t hit spots game over.

Reactions: Bardman
There are some guys that are wildly inconsistent when it comes to executing location on pitches. Some obviously are struggling with the stage of big time baseball. The problem is what to do about it in the last third of the season.
These midweek games are absolutely about who can tilt the scoreboard.
The 4 errors were uncharacteristic of this Program, and I believe it contributed to the 4 run loss almost as much as the pitching rotation’s failure to find the strike zone.

19 more games to go. The squad is 21-15. This weekend's series is at Miami. Fortunately, Da U isn't very good. And besides the series with Clemson and UNC, the rest of the schedule appears manageable. I'm grasping at straws, I know.

Bardman:

There is a significant difference in talent, and subsequent ability to pitch effectively between most underclassman and those transfer kids who have 2, 3, and even 4 years of Power 5 college pitching. Between the MLB draft taking the best HS pitchers, and more Power 5 schools attracting the quality of kids who we enjoyed signing in the past ...............that explains in part what UL is experiencing now.

Not just for Dan and UL, but can you imagine the frustration associated with successfully recruiting the top HS pitchers in the country; only to be told late in the process that a decision has been made to go professional?

Unfortunately, it becomes "an even more self-destructive situation" where the losing mentality within the roster results in the more talented kids leaving UL for the Portal in hope of playing in Omaha.

Right now the only solution for Dan and UL baseball is to pursue the Portal for the very best talent ........ relying on incoming HS talent is just too difficult to depend on.

19 more games to go. The squad is 21-15. This weekend's series is at Miami. Fortunately, Da U isn't very good. And besides the series with Clemson and UNC, the rest of the schedule appears manageable. I'm grasping at straws, I know.
What worries me about this weekend is that this has turned into a bit of a rivalry between these programs. It's gonna be a war,but one we have to win.

Let’s review: 10 walks, 3 HBP and 4 errors. I just don’t understand how we lost when we had more hits!
I looked the ERA after about 20 games, this before going into the meat of the schedule. It was higher than the entire seasons for the previous 3-4 seasons. Maybe that’s the problem!
PITCHING!!!

Reactions: rh62531
I think we're all in agreement that pitching is THE problem.

The question is,do we just chuck it in with some of the staff and burn redshirt years for some of the 11 Freshmen pitchers that are on the roster or trudge ahead?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT