ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News for UofL Offenses

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
Brent Venables to receive largest contract for an assistant college football coach. Five year deal for $11.6 Million! $2.32M per year. This is really insane.

Paying the players argument continues to get stronger!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ract-for-an-assistant-college-football-coach/

images

Just shows that Clemson is willing to pay for an outstanding defense. Has absolutely nothing to do with paying the players a salary. Plus it will be real expensive when someone comes calling for Venables to be their head coach. When that happens I wonder if he’ll be willing to pay a bunch for an offensive cooridinator? We shall see.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
It has everything to do with paying players. The argument against it is that there is some virtue in ametuerism. It’s hard to argue that players should be ametuers, when any other student can make money any legal way they want and their coaches make millions, including endorsements and shoe deals.

Reactions: fredburgcard
I'm anxious to see this years offense.

We have the personnel to really spread the ball around better than we ever have IMO

CBP knows how to find the weakest link and exploit it.

If you can't beat great team D, beat one piece of it.

If our O does what I think it can do, and we can just get a few stops we can be in every game.

Don't wake me...:D

Reactions: Mayoman
It has everything to do with paying players. The argument against it is that there is some virtue in ametuerism. It’s hard to argue that players should be ametuers, when any other student can make money any legal way they want and their coaches make millions, including endorsements and shoe deals.

I respectfully disagree. How can an athlete that is having all of his tuition, room and board, books and a “stipend” be truly called an amateur? Plus the coaches getting “millions” from endorsements and shoe contracts is proving to the players that if they become an coach later on in their career this is what they may have coming to them . . . Later. Kind of like a med student seeing a doctor make a ton of money after they go into practice. Students in professional schools do, indeed, make money for their respective school by being a great student and then go on to graduate and become an outstanding professional in their field. Most of them come back to their respective schools and donate millions back to that school. That’s the way it’s supposed to work.

Like I have said before if the players and their parents feel like they are being cheated find an alternative. All the parents can save money together and build a 300 million dollar stadium. Then they can get the money together for millions of dollars in insurance, uniforms, travel expenses and whatever else they need to get.

I respectfully disagree. How can an athlete that is having all of his tuition, room and board, books and a “stipend” be truly called an amateur? Plus the coaches getting “millions” from endorsements and shoe contracts is proving to the players that if they become an coach later on in their career this is what they may have coming to them . . . Later. Kind of like a med student seeing a doctor make a ton of money after they go into practice. Students in professional schools do, indeed, make money for their respective school by being a great student and then go on to graduate and become an outstanding professional in their field. Most of them come back to their respective schools and donate millions back to that school. That’s the way it’s supposed to work.

If players are NOT ametuers, then why not pay them? The way I see it there are only two things the NCAA should concern themselves with: 1) is the player a student in good and making normal progress toward a degree? and 2) is there association with gamblers, point shaving or anything that compromises the integrity of the contests? That’s it.

Reactions: fredburgcard
Like I have said before if the players and their parents feel like they are being cheated find an alternative. All the parents can save money together and build a 300 million dollar stadium. Then they can get the money together for millions of dollars in insurance, uniforms, travel expenses and whatever else they need to get.
You could say the same about the NFL. If pro players want to form their own league they are free to do so. But nothing stops pro players from negotiating in their best interest with the league. The NCAA does not permit any such negotiations by college players. The NCAA has only one concern-protect their cash cow. They do this by exploiting the talents of the players who have no power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT