ADVERTISEMENT

Bad Defense, outlook for next season's D?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Was just looking over the roster...

Losing Thomas, Hearns, Williams, and Young... to name a few. I'm sure there are a few others.

I know this D is maligned, but just looking ahead, it's hard to see it being any better next year.

Does anybody see any progress from any of the younger guys?

If yes, who would that be? Looking for a few bright spots~

Losing Thomas, Hearns, Williams, and Young... to name a few. I'm sure there are a few others.

I know this D is maligned, but just looking ahead, it's hard to see it being any better next year.

It's a sad state of affairs with very little glimmer of hope right now. The guys you mentioned seem to do just fine. It's the lack of depth which is killing this team and it only looks to get worse after they leave. Don't know what the future holds, but the sky sure looks to be falling. Hopefully I turn out to be as wrong as chicken little was.

Williams was dismissed prior to the season. There are a lot of guys coming back but they haven’t been coached well. Also, the imbalanced recruiting led to a bad offensive line last year and a bad defensive line next year. Big missteps by Petrino

I hate to sound like a defeatist.

It does not look like it's going to get better anytime soon. The defense is already thin. You factor in the loss of the guys mentioned... the outlook does not look good.

A sad state of affairs.

I think we will get instant help from the Juco d-linemen we have coming in and if bonitto and that Safety committed to FSU end up committing in addition to the guys we already have, we will have defensive depth that will be very young, but solid. Like 60-70% of this next class is defense. It’ll take a couple of years, but we can rebuild. By 2019 we can be good on defense again.

The good news is we have a lot of young guys coming back.

The bad new is, we have a lot of young guys coming back.

The backups have sucked this year and we get them back.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
Williams was dismissed prior to the season. There are a lot of guys coming back but they haven’t been coached well. Also, the imbalanced recruiting led to a bad offensive line last year and a bad defensive line next year. Big missteps by Petrino

Chuckie didn't play this year?

Chuckie has been terrible this year. Tresean Smith has made more plays.

Impossible to project either good or bad. Losing guys that are part of the worse defense we have seen isn't a bad thing. The question is can the staff get the players to buy in next year.

Also, we lost Kyle Shortridge during the offseason who was a proven and seasoned DL that would've been a 5th year Senior. DL is an issue but the depth will be ddeper there next year. The DB's will be much younger next year but also taller and quicker. Can't be much worse than they have been this year.

Things do look pretty bleak at this point, particularly with regard to depth. The only bright spots I can see are:

• The two juco d-tackles might be ready to come in and contribute right away. They apparently both had offers from Alabama and other big time programs, if that tells you anything. In my opinion, the lack of penetration from the tackle spots is one of our most glaring weaknesses
  • Rodjay Burns and PJ Mbanasor could potentially add some punch to our secondary. they both have some Power 5 experience, and they have to be better than what we have seen this year. I'm alos excited to see what PJ Blue can do next year.
  • The linebacking corps appears to be a continuing weakness. Maybe the kid from Miami helps, but we will still be lacking ACC level starters, not to mention any depth at all.

I don’t believe Jaire will play another snap this season. Odds he comes back?

Hank, I think the odds of Jaire coming back are very low -- somewhere in the 10-20% range. He has great size for a DB, very athletic, has great highlights against top tier first round WR talent (last year vs Mike Williams Clemson) and I feel very confident he will be one of the best looking DBs at this years combine.

Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Hank, I think the odds of Jaire coming back are very low -- somewhere in the 10-20% range. He has great size for a DB, very athletic, has great highlights against top tier first round WR talent (last year vs Mike Williams Clemson) and I feel very confident he will be one of the best looking DBs at this years combine.

Hope I'm wrong.

Gotta agree...with the injuries this year why risk further injury by playing his Sr. Year...just prepare for the Draft Process and of his medicals come back good his draft status will be fine

Gotta agree...with the injuries this year why risk further injury by playing his Sr. Year...just prepare for the Draft Process and of his medicals come back good his draft status will be fine

I hope he is a 1st rounder but I also know the NFL actually drafts on film as opposed to the NBA which almost seems to favor the unknown. Just seems like it might be tough to grade out as a 1st day guy without any film this year.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I think the defensive outlook for next year is bright for 2 reasons. 1--Sirmon will be gone and 2--as aforementioned, defensive help is on the way. Don't sleep on Michael Boykin at DE, he's NFL ready. Returning starters this year had better get used to this idea, they will be second stringers next year. Of course, Sirmon's much hoped for firing is just speculation on my part but the rest is pretty solid.

Houston, we have a problem. Coach Bobby Petrino is only concerned about offense. Therein lies our problem!

101241765.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT