ADVERTISEMENT

Another ACC rip-off

FredCard

No-Ranking Prospect
Nov 22, 2022
Well, it was an entertaining game. But I must say that I think the interception for a touchdown by the Cards was the turning point of the game. So, as far as I am concerned, The Acc screwed U of L again. I am not sure why. I am getting a bit sick of them at this point. Kudos to Coach Jeff Brohm. This is a game we had a chance to win. I still back our coach and team. Go Cards!

I wasn’t in the stadium on the 4th quarter play I think you’re talking about. But Paul said on the radio it was the right call. It was initially ruled a fumble, then changed to an incomplete pass.

I can't ever remember a year as a fan were we got so many bad calls in critical moments. When I saw it live I thought it was an incomplete pass. But the end zone replay showed his forearm/elbow getting slapped while he was still reaching back. I dont care how good of player you are, it's incredibly hard to keep control of the football when that happens. Looked like he lost control a millisecond before pushing it forward. Am I 1000% certain of that?? No I am not, but it was so close that I think you stick with the call on the field at worst.

That being said you have to play better. The defense was terrible, particularly the tackling on numerous occasions. And the 4th and 1 play early in the 2nd half; looked like our defense was 2 yards off the ball when its obvious running situation. Those are things that can be controlled by us and we continue to make it harder on ourselves.

Reactions: AnotherCFD
The gift TD on the 3 yard line was also a huge break for Miami. That's almost like just giving your opponent seven free points out of charity.

But it was the holding penalty on the punt that put the Cards at their own three yard line that was an even bigger break for Miami. That flag was questionable and the refs all game were letting that go, but this was a chance to back Louisville up against their own end zone, so the flag was dropped.

This was a bad break for Louisville whether it was the correct call or not. We had just forced Miami to punt for the first time and we were down just three points. However, it was the Hurricanes who got two incredible fortunate breaks back to back for a gift TD and two score lead. That's the kind of season it's been for them.

I can't ever remember a year as a fan were we got so many bad calls in critical moments. When I saw it live I thought it was an incomplete pass. But the end zone replay showed his forearm/elbow getting slapped while he was still reaching back. I dont care how good of player you are, it's incredibly hard to keep control of the football when that happens. Looked like he lost control a millisecond before pushing it forward. Am I 1000% certain of that?? No I am not, but it was so close that I think you stick with the call on the field at worst.

That being said you have to play better. The defense was terrible, particularly the tackling on numerous occasions. And the 4th and 1 play early in the 2nd half; looked like our defense was 2 yards off the ball when its obvious running situation. Those are things that can be controlled by us and we continue to make it harder on ourselves.
The problem with playing better is you’re playing a team higher rated than you. They cause missed tackles and such but getting by the refs every game is a joke.

BTW it was Paul Rogers and the entire radio crew who saw it that way. Since I haven’t seen the play yet, all I can do is compare what various people are saying.

Doesn’t sound like it was conclusive either way. Just don’t claim either was obvious.

My experience is that as long as that QB arm has any forward movement, it’s ruled a pass. No matter what propels that movement…

BTW it was Paul Rogers and the entire radio crew who saw it that way. Since I haven’t seen the play yet, all I can do is compare what various people are saying.

Doesn’t sound like it was conclusive either way. Just don’t claim either was obvious.
Idgaf your source is wrong. The ball came loose then he pushed it forward. It’s a fumble

As I understand there are two components two qualifications when distinguishing an incomplete pass from a fumble; one is the arm moving forward, which was evident. However the other component is the QB’s hand having control of the ball. The replay showed Ward’s hand was not in control of the football and once again the ACC took a TD away from UL.

I will concede that it was a close judgment call that could go either way, but it is a pattern that I have come to expect.

The gift TD on the 3 yard line was also a huge break for Miami. That's almost like just giving your opponent seven free points out of charity.

But it was the holding penalty on the punt that put the Cards at their own three yard line that was an even bigger break for Miami. That flag was questionable and the refs all game were letting that go, but this was a chance to back Louisville up against their own end zone, so the flag was dropped.

This was a bad break for Louisville whether it was the correct call or not. We had just forced Miami to punt for the first time and we were down just three points. However, it was the Hurricanes who got two incredible fortunate breaks back to back for a gift TD and two score lead. That's the kind of season it's been for them.
Our punt returner caught the ball at the 6 yard line. The penalty was half the distance to the goal. Not sure how much effect that had on the fumble.

As I understand there are two components two qualifications when distinguishing an incomplete pass from a fumble; one is the arm moving forward, which was evident. However the other component is the QB’s hand having control of the ball. The replay showed Ward’s hand was not in control of the football and once again the ACC took a TD away from UL.

I will concede that it was a close judgment call that could go either way, but it is a pattern that I have come to expect.
Once the call is made on the field it has to be clear. It can’t be 50-50. That is what these calls are and the call on the field should stand. That isn’t even debatable. We can all debate if the field call was right or wrong. Once it goes the review it has to be clear. The ACC overturning these calls when it isn’t clear is either negligent or planned either way it is wrong.

After the season, I want a new DC. Our defense was really bad and it’s not getting better, it’s getting worse.
Me too. I don’t think English is smart enough to run a defense. JB has been in cfb too long not to have some good connections on the defensive side. Go get someone competent for the job. Our tiny fast linebackers are always caugh up in the wash because of not being big and strong enough to fight through it. I don’t even coach and know that much. 😞

Were there questionable calls ? Yes, at least 3. However, when you force your opponent to punt only twice, allow your opponent's go to RB to average 8 yards a carry, not to mention all the missed tackles, you are not going to beat many teams.

Were there questionable calls ? Yes, at least 3. However, when you force your opponent to punt only twice, allow your opponent's go to RB to average 8 yards a carry, not to mention all the missed tackles, you are not going to beat many teams.
Miami has the #1 rated offense in the country you know? They were always going to get there’s but add in the one sided officiating and that is too much to overcome.

Poor officiating leads to at least one or two bad calls per game, and once again it affected the outcome against UL. WTS, poor fundamentals like tackling was a huge factor in our performance. I do not believe any DC can correct that from one year to the next; as these kids should arrive to college with the necessary fundamentals.

After the season, I want a new DC. Our defense was really bad and it’s not getting better, it’s getting worse.
I tend to agree but its just not an easy solution. Not likely the defense figures it all out unless a change is made during the season. Waiting until end of season is a lame duck situation. Bound to lose some recruits, have to adjust to different defensive schemes, what coaches are available.... It can be overcome but its not immediate and Slough is gone. Brohm has been fortunate with the 5th year QB's, Plummer and Slough but is next years QB on the roster or going to be in the portal.

I tend to agree but its just not an easy solution. Not likely the defense figures it all out unless a change is made during the season. Waiting until end of season is a lame duck situation. Bound to lose some recruits, have to adjust to different defensive schemes, what coaches are available.... It can be overcome but its not immediate and Slough is gone. Brohm has been fortunate with the 5th year QB's, Plummer and Slough but is next years QB on the roster or going to be in the portal.
Why the concern for Brohm finding another QB? All he has to do is show the targeted recruit film of all the bombs Shough gets to throw. As and old QB myself, he won’t have trouble getting a good one again. Heck the guy might already be on the roster as far as we know but I think Brohm is good enough to handle that.
As for the defense, you can’t change personnel mid season, (that hasn’t been added to the spoiled players benefit package yet) our linebackers are rail thin and that’s our biggest issue. English just doesn’t get it and needs to go.

We’re acting like this is a surprise?

Brohm has NEVER been known for defense. Why did we just assume we’d have one?

If he’s going to make the name for himself, and UofL, that we’re all hoping, he better give up the OC job, manage the team….and get serious about defense for a change.

Just “good” defense could be enough IF he builds his offense.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
We’re acting like this is a surprise?

Brohm has NEVER been known for defense. Why did we just assume we’d have one?

If he’s going to make the name for himself, and UofL, that we’re all hoping, he better give up the OC job, manage the team….and get serious about defense for a change.

Just “good” defense could be enough IF he builds his offense.
U of L in general has been known more for offense than defense, though we have had some good defensive players and some good defenses over the years, especially under Charlie. I think Coach English probably needs to go. They need someone who not only understands how to teach fundamentals and schemes but someone who can recruit that side of the ball. It’s not easy.

Of course I’ll bring it around to dollars and sense. And if we’re hellbent to lay this at the feet of coaches…

I’m paying in the vicinity of $7 million annually for two coaches—Jeff and Brian—to coach the offense. And I’m shelling out around a million for one guy—English—to handle the defense.

Which side of the ball would I expect our issues to lie? And where am I currently getting more bang for my buck?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT