BREAKING: Anne Kordes resigns from UofL Volleyball

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
Anne Kordes resigns from UofL Volleyball

University of Louisville head coach Anne Kordes is resigning for personal reasons at the completion of the 2016 volleyball season.

"It has been an honor and privilege to have had Anne guiding our volleyball program for the last six years,” said UofL Vice President for Athletics Tom Jurich. “I wish her and her daughter, Mary, the best as they embark upon the next chapter in their lives. I am exceedingly grateful to Anne for her dedication to the University of Louisville, and I’m excited to see what the future holds for her. We will miss her enthusiasm and vigor around our department, but as a former student-athlete and coach at UofL, she will remain a Cardinal forever.”

Kordes has an overall record of 272-135 and is 130-60 during her stint at Louisville. Under her tutelage, the Cardinals were Big East Champions (2011, 2012), AAC Champions (2013) and ACC champions (2015) and she was named Conference Coach of the Year on eight occasions during her career, most recently as the 2015 ACC Coach of the Year.

“It’s with extremely strong emotions that I am announcing my decision to end my career as a Division I volleyball coach,” said Kordes. “The last 20 years in this business have been a dream come true. I am honored to have had the opportunity to work for so many wonderful people during my time in coaching, but especially Tom Jurich at Louisville. He treats his athletic department like family and I could not be more thankful to him. There are aspects of every job that can be challenging and at this point in my life I am finding it hard to be the mom I want to be to my daughter because of the grind and travel of the recruiting season. There is no way around it if you want to be successful as recruiting is your life-line. My struggle isn't the work, it's the work out of town. I consider myself to be lucky because of what I have been able to experience as a coach, especially at the University of Louisville. I also consider myself lucky because of what I get to experience as a mom.”

Jurich, who will begin a national search immediately for her successor, said “I continue to be committed to building programs that contend for national championships.”

The Cardinals have four matches remaining and are flying to Georgia Tech and Clemson this weekend.

“I grew up a Louisville Cardinal, I graduated as a Louisville Cardinal, and I will always be proud that I am a Louisville Cardinal. I love this University and will continue to love and support the coaches, athletes, and leadership. A very heartfelt thank you to Tom Jurich, Christine Herring, my staff, players, alumni, and the fans,” said Kordes.

Coach Kordes will have media availability on Monday at the Yum! Center on campus. Press will be notified of the specific time when it is set.

Bummer. Great coach. Hate to see her end her career on such a poor season. But she brought UofL some good times. Good luck, coach!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT