ADVERTISEMENT

And it begins....

Jun 10, 2005
I don't know how to post it but Paul Finebaum, The Clown Prince of the $EC, is tweeting that Coach Petrino will be coaching at LSU next year. The same rube that has been trashing Petrino for the last 5 years now wants him to come back to save his beloved $EC.

I also had a Tennessee Vol fan/friend of mine tell me last night that all UT has to do is fire Butch Jones, open up the checkbook and Petrino would be theirs.

Petrino is here for keeps or at least 10 more years.

The arrogance of that league fanbase is amazing.

Brace yourselves, the worst of the worst $EC and Big 10+4 fans will be trashing us for the rest of the season.

I don't have a clue what Petrino is planning for his next 5 years, but neither does Finebaum.

I doubt Finebaum has access to Petrino's inner circle. He's just throwing a crazy theory out there. Just something he made up in his own head without any sources or backing in reality. If he's wrong, no one will ever call him on it. If it turns out to be true down the road, he can chirp that he called it.

So typical of the talking heads these days.

Auburn fans are also desirous of Petrino.

Pathetic.

The SEC had it chances for its services of Petrino however, they had an
unwritten rule that NO ONE was to even INTERVIEW him.

He's going no where.

I don't know how to post it but Paul Finebaum, The Clown Prince of the $EC, is tweeting that Coach Petrino will be coaching at LSU next year. The same rube that has been trashing Petrino for the last 5 years now wants him to come back to save his beloved $EC.

I also had a Tennessee Vol fan/friend of mine tell me last night that all UT has to do is fire Butch Jones, open up the checkbook and Petrino would be theirs.

Brace yourselves, the worst of the worst $EC and Big 10+4 fans will be trashing us for the rest of the season.

Your absolutely Right! With success you inherit a Bullseye for Negativity! That is because you talking about Big Money and everyone wants to protect their piece of the pie.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
There's a difference that no one takes into account now: Conference

Up unitl a few years ago, UofL was stuck in conference mediocrity and limbo. C-USA, BE that fell apart, then AAC. Makes any coach antsy to not know the future of what your conference holds. Its why Howard left.

We don't have that issue now. Entrenched in a solid ACC with a GOR that ensures no one is leaving. That's a security blanket UofL has never had before.

As of this moment, Petrino is considered a favorite to be in the playoffs at the end of the season. ACC Atlantic has 2 of the top 4 teams according to current polls.

Tell me in a logical manner what LSU, Auburn or UT can offer right now that UofL can't? Bigger stadiums is about all I can think of.

There's a difference that no one takes into account now: Conference

Up unitl a few years ago, UofL was stuck in conference mediocrity and limbo. C-USA, BE that fell apart, then AAC. Makes any coach antsy to not know the future of what your conference holds. Its why Howard left.

We don't have that issue now. Entrenched in a solid ACC with a GOR that ensures no one is leaving. That's a security blanket UofL has never had before.

As of this moment, Petrino is considered a favorite to be in the playoffs at the end of the season. ACC Atlantic has 2 of the top 4 teams according to current polls.

Tell me in a logical manner what LSU, Auburn or UT can offer right now that UofL can't? Bigger stadiums is about all I can think of.

Very true, we also are fanbase that doesn't self destruct after a perceived "down" year like at LSU, Auburn and UT. I lived in Nashville for 17 years. The UT fanbase was suicidal. They rushed out Phat Phil thinking they could do better and they had two horrible hires and now have struck Fools Gold again with Butch. Auburn and LSU are trying to run off recent National Championship game coaches.

IMO this will be Bobby's last job. If we can continue to win, make the playoff, etc. Bobby will be rewarded with yet another raise (that will make him the highest paid coach in the country) and extension from Tom Jurich. Finebaum is an idiot, times have changed and the SEC is not the only game in town.

Jurich knows what he is doing, I have faith in him and I have faith in Bobby 2.0, he has a great thing going here. I think he stays @ UL for the duration of his coaching career.

P.S. I think Grantham needs a raise and extension too. Yesterday's defensive effort was off the charts. I love his intensity, the guy knows how to motivate the defense!

Finebaum and others like him are paid to express provocative opinions. Given that the median tenure of college football coaches at D-I is four years at their current school, this one is within the realm of reality. Looks to me like he did his job.

Yeah Petrino is going to leave Lamar Jackson right before his junior year. PF doesn't need to think before he speaks cuz the only ones listening are from the SEC.
I posted this exact thing on another site under this subject. No way Petrino leaves Lamar Jackson behind in a U of L uniform.

God has delivered him Michael Vick 2.0. (Another poster remarked 10.0 since he's 5X better...) :)

Reactions: Red Rager
Finebaum and others like him are paid to express provocative opinions. Given that the median tenure of college football coaches at D-I is four years at their current school, this one is within the realm of reality. Looks to me like he did his job.
"median tenure of college football coaches at D1" is clearly a statistical term having little relevance to the underlying information surrounding the particular situation. In Petrino's situation not paying attention to what has transpired to him and around him in the past five years and rendering a provocative opinion based solely on median tenure is borderline idiotic. In my opinion, Cardlaw, for what it is worth. Finebaum was doing a job, but not very a good one.

"median tenure of college football coaches at D1" is clearly a statistical term having little relevance to the underlying information surrounding the particular situation. In Petrino's situation not paying attention to what has transpired to him and around him in the past five years and rendering a provocative opinion based solely on median tenure is borderline idiotic. In my opinion, Cardlaw, for what it is worth. Finebaum was doing a job, but not very a good one.

Well, (A) he is not paid to be right - merely to stoke argument and get his name or show mentioned. And (B) ANY fan base that thinks their coach will be there next year is smoking some serious stuff. (And pretty much all of them seem to be doing just that.)

I doubt Finebaum knows what all is going on a UL administratively, but given the combination of petrino's wanderlust and the admin changes coming down I think speculation of petrino moving on are somewhere around 50/50. As far as I know, we have no idea who the next president will be. Hence, we have no idea of the relationship between him or her and Jurich or anyone else. So, for instance, what if the next president at UL is determined he wants Jeff Long as his AD? Or the current Assistant AD at Arkansas? Or what if Jurich decides to go elsewhere and coaches here decided to follow? No one knows what is coming down.

Auburn fans are also desirous of Petrino.

Pathetic.

The SEC had it chances for its services of Petrino however, they had an
unwritten rule that NO ONE was to even INTERVIEW him.

He's going no where.

LOL, I believe Auburn had their chance at CBP. And blew it.

Most likely true about the trashing part. No way around that so the team might as well just go thru it along with every team left on the schedule. The Clemson and Houston games are going to be intense IMO.

Regarding Finebaum, he has a right to his opinion, just like I have a right to think he's an idiot. I'm a little surprised that he didn't spout off that FSU was simply disinterested in the game. Oh, wait a minute, they only use that excuse when a SEC team gets waxed by UofL. Sorry, I got a bit confused for a moment.

Anything is possible, I suppose, but I can't see Petrino leaving after this season. He made a commitment to Jurich prior to his rehire, and, he's still on the road to redemption. He'd take a hit in that department should he bail for "greener pastures." Then there's his family situation and UofL's positioning as a P5 program. Adding it all up, it's a no brainer (on paper) he's here for the duration of his current contract.

Reactions: CardMonarch
P.S. I think Grantham needs a raise and extension too. Yesterday's defensive effort was off the charts. I love his intensity, the guy knows how to motivate the defense!

Honestly I'm more concerned about Grantham leaving than Petrino. I think Petrino is home to stay. As impressive as the offense was, the defense was even moreso. If I'm in need of a new HC, Grantham gets an interview.

Reactions: tkdcoach
Not sure where, but I feel pretty sure I've heard that Grantham is not interested in a HC gig.

But if he leaves this year, Strong will be available to take his place. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cue Card

Lawyers don't take statistical analysis.

As a Clemson fan, I'd like for the above to be true...

But I don't know...

I THINK that BP is making 3 million and change per year. What happens if LSU or Auburn offers him 6? That's a LOT of money.

Don't think Tom Jurich has ever lost a coach over money alone and don't think he ever will. He's stated and shown before that he will do whatever it takes to be competitive, money wise, with anyone. TJ knows the value of a highly rated football program and will not let $$$ stand in the way of maintaining that. Now John L, Bobby 1.0 and Charlie got big eyes and just knew they were responsible for the Cards success under them and that they all had the goods to win on bigger stages. Maybe they did. But Bobby has seen (and greatly enjoyed) life at UL and knows what it's like elsewhere. Plus, he currently has a team ranked in the top 4, the Heisman Trophy leading contender (coming back next year), resides in a Power 5 Conference and works for the best AD in the country. His wife and family love it here and he's done too much work rehabbing his reputation to take off again. If I were a betting man....I'm betting Bobby's here for quite some time to come.

Reactions: Niterider55
As a Clemson fan, I'd like for the above to be true...

But I don't know...

I THINK that BP is making 3 million and change per year. What happens if LSU or Auburn offers him 6? That's a LOT of money.
For 2014-2015, athletic department revenues...

LSU $139 million
Auburn $125 million
Louisville $104 million
Clemson $84 million

My guess is U of L's number is about to take a bump up. We can probably afford an extra million or two. We hope that's enough.

Aren't you guys already paying Dabo $5 mil/year?...

Gotta agree with Cardlaw.

The elephant in the room is the vacant UL Presidency. I mentioned this a while back when many were saying JR had to go. Gotta be careful what you wish for.

Look what Shalala did to Miami. She's gone, but they're still down.

We're liable to get somebody that wants to make us one of those academic schools.:p

Then TJ and all the sports coach's are outta here.

Don't say "that'll never happen.........". Please?

Reactions: 65bird
I don't have any inside info, but UL has been very good to Petrino. I doubt he leaves.
He has built this into a very good program.

Gotta agree with Cardlaw.

The elephant in the room is the vacant UL Presidency. I mentioned this a while back when many were saying JR had to go. Gotta be careful what you wish for.

Look what Shalala did to Miami. She's gone, but they're still down.

We're liable to get somebody that wants to make us one of those academic schools.:p

Then TJ and all the sports coach's are outta here.

Don't say "that'll never happen.........". Please?

Well we're one of those most profitable athletic programs in the nation. Would be stupid for the board to put somebody in who isnt mindful of that. Also considering the millions UofL has dumped into making itself a more student/resident oriented University I think successfull athletics are huge staple to that atmosphere and culture, not to mention the fiscal supplement our prgram has put forth towards these renovations. So dont worry, that'll never happen. Im far more concerned with the fact Bevins BS shenanigans have put our accredation into a legal battle. Im no lawyer and no expert but it still royally frustrates me and Im sure the board is just as upset. I feel we'll get a president that has experience dealing with the state gov. And as a result will be fiscally responsible and mindful of our athletics contribution.

Well we're one of those most profitable athletic programs in the nation. So dont worry, that'll never happen.
Yeah, I know.

And nobody will ever fly airliners into the Twin Towers.

I hope you're right. I hope business minds prevail, but stranger things have happened. Ain't nothing dead solid perfect as Dan Jenkins said.

But, we are talking about academia here. Those people and athletics mix like oil and water. They hate athletic success.

But again. Look what happened at Miami. The top FB program in America for years, and one of the top after that.

Well if he did go the timing wouldn't be so bad this year. Cause we could just go down 65 south and bring our boy back home.

If he leaves that will be the first call Jurich makes.

Not sure what Petrino will do as I'm sure LSU and Auburn will be looking for a coach. IMO the difference this go around we are in the ACC and have a legit shot at a national title. We just hosted Gameday and in 2 weeks are going to play a top 5 matchup with Clemson primetime for a trip to the ACC title game. Then we will have a game against Houston later in the year for a shot at the playoffs.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
If he leaves that will be the first call Jurich makes.

Not sure what Petrino will do as I'm sure LSU and Auburn will be looking for a coach. IMO the difference this go around we are in the ACC and have a legit shot at a national title. We just hosted Gameday and in 2 weeks are going to play a top 5 matchup with Clemson primetime for a trip to the ACC title game. Then we will have a game against Houston later in the year for a shot at the playoffs.

The problem most fans have is they cannot conceive of the way coaches see their program. To a fan, the program is an emotional tie. So, fans assume coaches have that same tie. But, they don't. For them it is a job. You may love your job. Any given coach may love his current job. You may see there is a future at your current job. A coach may see a future at his current job. But, you know as well as I do, whether it is the money, the location, the circumstances, a change at the top of the food chain ... whatever . . . if the right offer came along, you would jump on it in a heartbeat. So will a coach. It is no different. To them it is just a job.

Isn't Petrino's buyout $10MM without declining throughout his contract? Petrino said Jurich could "make it as high as he wants."

But, I don't think he's going anywhere. It's not the same job it was during 1.0 or even 3 years ago.

toadily-insane.jpg

The perception of people outside of the Louisville area is that Petrino is still the same person he was in his first stint here in town. He's a changed man.

Even if he isn't and it's all an act, the Louisville job is a changed job. Around $4MM/year, P5, Top 5 ranking, College Gameday coming, plenty of national tv broadcasts, twice-expanded stadium, realistic & appreciative expectations, etc etc etc.

Tell your friend that Charlie Strong says hello. LOL. They can say & think whatever they want. I think & say I'm going to grow wings right now and fly out my office window, but until you see me do it....

Petrino's past is what it is. But, he's done nothing but be a model coach since arriving this second time, and the job is different/much more appealing now. If I'm wrong, so be it, but I don't see him leaving after this season or many more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT