ADVERTISEMENT

adidas now killing it in North America...

Adidas owns Reebok, along with Taylor Made. They clearly are trying to grow through acquisition.

I wore Adidas Gazelles through most of high school. Those shoes were awesome.

ETC - they are clearly GROWING through acquisition, not trying to :)

I happened into an outlet mall 2 years ago that had a Nike, Adidas and UA store in it. The UA and Adidas stores were hustling and bustling. The Nike store was a clear third. Sometimes a company can become a victim of their own success, especially in fashion where people like to be different.

...Yes I like Nike a lot better than Adidas....but so does everyone else...
You say it's not anecdotal, and then you quote me something anecdotally...

Definition of anecdotal: based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation.​

...Just because Adidas is doing great right now does not mean that they will continue to chip away at Nike, nor does it mean that Adidas will ever approach Nike's level of popularity...
True, but you don't waste your time waiting for or partnering up with Nike based on what MIGHT happen. Not when you already have sweetheart deals rolling over with the darling of the industry, adidas. You just thank God you're hitched to the right wagon.
...I 100% understand what you're saying Zipp.....Adidas is hot, Adidas is on top of the game as far as generating revenue as a company and that's who UL should hitch their wagon to. It makes sense....I'm simply saying that just because Adidas is booming right now does not mean they are ever going to come close to Nike due to Nike's insane size and the level of sheer dominance they have in the market. Adidas is booming and Nike is slipping and Adidas still generates about half the revenue that Nike does...
I also recall a day when U of L looked like adidas in their industry. And schools like Texas, Notre Dame, even LPT looked like Nike. You want me to continue this metaphor?
...Quick...name me the best athletes Adidas supports.....I'll tell you - Derrick Rose, Damian Lillard, James Harden.
Nike sponsored players - Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Kyrie, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Chris Paul, Carmelo, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, Deandre Jordan...
I already acknowledged that I'm the last guy to spot a fashion trend. It's why I let the ultimate arbiter of all things business--money--make that determination. And adidas is rocking everyone else financially...

Zipp...I think you're taking the fact that Adidas is booming right now to be the "be all, end all" of this discussion and its a little more complicated than simply saying "well, Adidas is doing really well right now and Nike sales are slipping so that means Adidas is the horse to bet on and that Adidas is the best." As I've stated before...just because Adidas is booming now does not mean they're on Nike's level. Nike's dominance is so massive that even with Adidas booming they are still a distant, distant 2nd place.

My comment about more people preferring Nike over Adidas isn't anecdotal...its fact. Nike is slipping yet they still own 53% of the entire athletic shoe market (Adidas owns something like 9 or 10%)...ipso facto most people prefer Nike to Adidas. Same with apparel.

Your argument is like saying that because Toms is growing faster than Nike that UL should hitch their wagon to Toms.

Zipp I think your argument probably has validity on a financial forum or a market forum. Apparently adidas is growing in markets like golf and making strides globally. But to make the argument on a college sports forum is a swing and miss. Adidas over Nike in a practical sense in this part of the world just doesn't have legs.

No one looks at market trends and financial records when they fill their cart at dicks sporting goods. Sporting goods stores and college sports fans actually share the same consumer and that consumer doesn't favor adidas. But again, I'm sure UL has a sweetheart money deal with them. I just don't know if it's a brand worth writing home about.

We just made a sweetheart deal with the biggest grocery store chain in all the land. I've read that it's the most lucrative in the country. But it's still lame and I'm not going to brag about it.

Reactions: Strongtino
Louisville is now a national brand. It's a player in all sports, not one or two. We recruit INTER-nationally. And we have a long, successful track record with adidas as our apparel partner.

All of those reasons from our end of the bargain--and others I'm missing--are why we do business with adidas and will continue to do so. Along with adidas growing faster in the US than Nike and UA, those are also the RIGHT reasons to partner with adidas. Not what anyone here prefers or thinks is better.

If you believe college athletes prefer Nike, or you think Nike would help our basketball recruiting, you're missing the boat. It's either not true or it doesn't matter...

Louisville is now a national brand. It's a player in all sports, not one or two. We recruit INTER-nationally. And we have a long, successful track record with adidas as our apparel partner.

All of those reasons from our end of the bargain--and others I'm missing--are why we do business with adidas and will continue to do so. Along with adidas growing faster in the US than Nike and UA, those are also the RIGHT reasons to partner with adidas. Not what anyone here prefers or thinks is better.

If you believe college athletes prefer Nike, or you think Nike would help our basketball recruiting, you're missing the boat. It's either not true or it doesn't matter...

Ok, I mean I can't argue with your opinion on this subject, after all its an opinion. I will say this....if you think Nike doesn't matter in college athletics and ESPECIALLY in basketball recruiting then you are hugely misinformed. Now, would it help in recruiting at Louisville? Probably not much because elite level kids don't want to play for Rick Pitino but I think a switch to Nike wouldn't benefit our college basketball program in non-financial terms hugely.

...I think a switch to Nike wouldn't benefit our college basketball program in non-financial terms hugely.
And only if that's true and only if basketball issues should drive the decision, is partnering with adidas the wrong strategy. But I don't believe we know any of that factually while the advantages with adidas are documented...

And only if that's true and only if basketball issues should drive the decision, is partnering with adidas the wrong strategy. But I don't believe we know any of that factually while the advantages with adidas are documented...

I agree with both of you. Nike raises your profile as a brand and I do think recruiting for basketball and football would receive a boost. However, it could be a Monetary risk if Nike doesn't want to match your adidas deal. It would be a calculated risk based off a big picture vision. Now if Nike matches the adidas deal then game over. UL switches.

...Now if Nike matches the adidas deal then game over. UL switches.
Which ain't happening. LPT's new Nike deal is HALF of what U of L's old deal with adidas was annually, approx. $4 mil vs. $8 mil. Who knows what the new adidas money will be?...

Adidas will overpay out the ass to keep Louisville...you can guarantee from a financial perspective that Adidas' offer will dwarf anything Nike offers. I wouldn't be shocked if Adidas' new offer isn't the largest deal in college athletics.

Reactions: zipp
Adidas will overpay out the ass to keep Louisville...you can guarantee from a financial perspective that Adidas' offer will dwarf anything Nike offers. I wouldn't be shocked if Adidas' new offer isn't the largest deal in college athletics.
Is Louisville adidas' flagship school?

Is Louisville adidas' flagship school?

Yes....especially from a multi-sport aspect. The only other "big" schools that Adidas sponsors are Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, NC State, Texas A&M, Miami and Mississippi State.

Under Armor has a better list of prestigious programs than Adidas does: UCLA, Notre Dame, Maryland, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Boston College, Cal, Northwestern, St. Johns, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Wichita State, Temple, Utah, Seton Hall.

Isn't another factor that UofL was sticking with Adidas was that they were willing to outfit more of the smaller sports than Nike? I remember that being a factor- at least in the past.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Isn't another factor that UofL was sticking with Adidas was that they were willing to outfit more of the smaller sports than Nike? I remember that being a factor- at least in the past.

I'm sure it is. With Adidas UL is the big fish in the small pond...Adidas takes care of them and pays them a lot of money. With Nike they would be one of many elite programs that they sponsor...basically Nike doesn't "need" Louisville and Adidas does.

I'm sure it is. With Adidas UL is the big fish in the small pond...Adidas takes care of them and pays them a lot of money. With Nike they would be one of many elite programs that they sponsor...basically Nike doesn't "need" Louisville and Adidas does.

giphy.gif

I don't think there's anything in Nike's recent performance suggesting that their investments in basketball are backfiring. There are plenty of articles to read about each company explaining why they're headed in opposite directions. Most I've read footbote that fashion trends are unpredictable, and what's hot today is out-of-fashion a few years from now. So, it's important that adidas be able to sustain it's current performance relative to Nike and UA.

adidas has product segments in which it's strong, and others that it wants to improve. It's not dominated by basketball just as U of L is no longer dominated by basketball. This is why I think adidas is a perfect fit with U of L. I'd for sure feel differently if adidas as a company was in decline. They're on a trajectory at the moment not unlike the one our own athletics "business" is on. Each probably hopes the other can maintain that momentum.

The linked article is just an example of one you can read to get a perspective on adidas' financial performance of late. What continues to look promising is how they're doing here in the US and North America. I'd encourage anyone interested to read more about adidas and the sports apparel market and come back here to educate the rest of us!...

Yea, when I think of GQ I think of you. :D

I think they acquired Taylor Made not too long ago. But with golf in decline, that wasn't the best investment. Better to cut your losses now and invest that money where things are working...

This whole thread has made me notice the brands people are wearing so much more lately. I caught myself tracking the brand of shoes everyone in my section of the gym was wearing....8 Nikes, 1 Under Armor, 1 Brooks, 1 Chucks (me)...lol

This whole thread has made me notice the brands people are wearing so much more lately. I caught myself tracking the brand of shoes everyone in my section of the gym was wearing....8 Nikes, 1 Under Armor, 1 Brooks, 1 Chucks (me)...lol
You must not see much Louisville logo-wear where you work out!!

Them eyeballs ever been out of the state of ky? or the USA?

Hard to cure stupid and close mindedness at the same time isn't it?
Yes I have. Maybe you should read my other posts if you are able. I recognized adidas as being stronger globally than in the US. They are a huge brand in soccer, which is the biggest sport in the world. You are currently on a college basketball board (United States). Feel free to travel to other states as well and marvel at adidas' dominance over Nike. Good luck with that.

You must not see much Louisville logo-wear where you work out!!

No, not too much. Although I own quiet a bit of UL apparel and I would say only a quarter of it is Adidas brand. But I mean I live in a UK heavy area of the state. The shoes is where I've caught myself noticing the most....its shocking the stranglehold Nike has around here. The only athletic shoe market around here that you'll not see Nike just absolutely dominate is the running shoe market. Other than that I would honestly estimate that 80% of the athletic shoes I've noticed the last few days are Nikes.

Yes I have. Maybe you should read my other posts if you are able. I recognized adidas as being stronger globally than in the US. They are a huge brand in soccer, which is the biggest sport in the world. You are currently on a college basketball board (United States). Feel free to travel to other states as well and marvel at adidas' dominance over Nike. Good luck with that.

I read your other posts.....slappie sheep like to bleet when they know they are being led to the shears. Sheep follow the common and do what is common....buy what is common to their herd.....like buying and idolizing NIKE. Sheep gotta do what sheep gotta do in ky.

What happens in the states is shallow and pale to what happens throughout the world...especially in the global market place. Rather 'Eyes Wide Open' than parochially closed. Carry on my good, kind slappie.

Reactions: zipp
I read your other posts.....slappie sheep like to bleet when they know they are being led to the shears. Sheep follow the common and do what is common....buy what is common to their herd.....like buying and idolizing NIKE. Sheep gotta do what sheep gotta do in ky.

What happens in the states is shallow and pale to what happens throughout the world...especially in the global market place. Rather 'Eyes Wide Open' than parochially closed. Carry on my good, kind slappie.
I think your wheels fell off

No, not too much. Although I own quiet a bit of UL apparel and I would say only a quarter of it is Adidas brand. But I mean I live in a UK heavy area of the state. The shoes is where I've caught myself noticing the most....its shocking the stranglehold Nike has around here. The only athletic shoe market around here that you'll not see Nike just absolutely dominate is the running shoe market. Other than that I would honestly estimate that 80% of the athletic shoes I've noticed the last few days are Nikes.
I am in the same boat. It's interesting. I have a lot of UK gear but only a couple pieces that are actually Nike. I will admit that they produce better quality but I often can't stomach the higher price. I for one enjoy our new logo and Nike is the only brand that is printing it.

Stylistically I prefer under armour shoes but they are just crap quality. A good pair of nikes will outlive most others. They are just so established in the states. Much coke, Pepsi, and Budweiser. Sure you have other options, good options , but we are almost wired to fall back on Nike. It's just always been there and always been good.

Last edited:
Adidas gave IU a boatload of money. It won't shock me if UofL gets even more. They don't want to lose UofL.

The new U of L contract will be precedent setting. It's a perfect storm...

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT