ADVERTISEMENT

adidas now killing it in North America...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
LINK

US growth is now outpacing its growth worldwide. As an athletic program that focuses on the entire spectrum of sports, that's exactly the apparel partner U of L wants.

adidas is eating Nike's and UA's lunch. And you're also one of, if not, THE premier adidas property in collegiate sports. Expect a nice contract from these guys in 2017 (yes, I'm intentionally understating that...)

Reactions: gocds
LINK

US growth is now outpacing its growth worldwide. As an athletic program that focuses on the entire spectrum of sports, that's exactly the apparel partner U of L wants.

adidas is eating Nike's and UA's lunch. And you're also one of, if not, THE premier adidas property in collegiate sports. Expect a nice contract from these guys in 2017 (yes, I'm intentionally understating that...)

I'm wondering how much nike's OAD positions have had an impact on these figures? Probably not a lot but there are a lot of college basketball followers across the USA that do not like what they perceive OAD is doing to college basketball. Count me as one of those.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I don't think there's anything in Nike's recent performance suggesting that their investments in basketball are backfiring. There are plenty of articles to read about each company explaining why they're headed in opposite directions. Most I've read footbote that fashion trends are unpredictable, and what's hot today is out-of-fashion a few years from now. So, it's important that adidas be able to sustain it's current performance relative to Nike and UA.

adidas has product segments in which it's strong, and others that it wants to improve. It's not dominated by basketball just as U of L is no longer dominated by basketball. This is why I think adidas is a perfect fit with U of L. I'd for sure feel differently if adidas as a company was in decline. They're on a trajectory at the moment not unlike the one our own athletics "business" is on. Each probably hopes the other can maintain that momentum.

The linked article is just an example of one you can read to get a perspective on adidas' financial performance of late. What continues to look promising is how they're doing here in the US and North America. I'd encourage anyone interested to read more about adidas and the sports apparel market and come back here to educate the rest of us!...

I have always been enamored at how much UL posters love to point out how well Adidas is doing financially. How Adidas is doing financially is of no bearing on anything related to UL sports aside from the size of the contract, which in the scheme of things...doesn't really matter as UL makes money hand over fist as it is.

The fact remains that the one sport where the apparel company you support matters is basketball and virtually every major collegiate program in the country is sponsored by Nike. Nike is the product line of choice for nearly every young person associated with basketball and Adidas will never approach that level of popularity in the college basketball game - the one area where brand matters. So because Adidas is making boatloads of money means very little for UL.

Also, I simply like Nike better. lol. I am 35 years old and I've never owned a pair of Adidas shoes and to my knowledge I've only owned 1 or 2 articles of Adidas apparel, all UL related.

I have always been enamored at how much UL posters love to point out how well Adidas is doing financially. How Adidas is doing financially is of no bearing on anything related to UL sports aside from the size of the contract, which in the scheme of things...doesn't really matter as UL makes money hand over fist as it is.

The fact remains that the one sport where the apparel company you support matters is basketball and virtually every major collegiate program in the country is sponsored by Nike. Nike is the product line of choice for nearly every young person associated with basketball and Adidas will never approach that level of popularity in the college basketball game - the one area where brand matters. So because Adidas is making boatloads of money means very little for UL.

Also, I simply like Nike better. lol. I am 35 years old and I've never owned a pair of Adidas shoes and to my knowledge I've only owned 1 or 2 articles of Adidas apparel, all UL related.
Well, you're wrong, and you're increasingly in the minority fashion-wise if that's important to you.

You're wrong about the financials mattering...in the end, they're ALL that matters. U of L gets paid in dollars, and their uniforms, shoes, clothing, etc. cost money. The more of that you get, the better off you are. And like most businesses, that fortunately is the way our athletic department is managed.

You're not a basketball school anymore, and you need to fast forward to 2017. adidas as a brand needs to have relevance to all of our sports, not just basketball which is becoming a smaller piece of our athletics pie. If you want to focus on one sport, better to make it football. But we're not a one-sport school anymore nor it doesn't look like we will ever be. Again, that's a good thing.

And it appears that more people around you will be wearing adidas gear in the future according to stats that probably even Nike will provide you. If that kinda stuff is important to you, maybe you oughta start checking out the adidas offerings in your store of choice or online.

Me, I'll be buried in my Chuck Taylors... :cool:

Reactions: awf
Well, you're wrong, and you're increasingly in the minority fashion-wise if that's important to you.

You're wrong about the financials mattering...in the end, they're ALL that matters. U of L gets paid in dollars, and their uniforms, shoes, clothing, etc. cost money. The more of that you get, the better off you are. And like most businesses, that fortunately is the way our athletic department is managed.

You're not a basketball school anymore, and you need to fast forward to 2017. adidas as a brand needs to have relevance to all of our sports, not just basketball which is becoming a smaller piece of our athletics pie. If you want to focus on one sport, better to make it football. But we're not a one-sport school anymore nor it doesn't look like we will ever be. Again, that's a good thing.

And it appears that more people around you will be wearing adidas gear in the future according to stats that probably even Nike will provide you. If that kinda stuff is important to you, maybe you oughta start checking out the adidas offerings in your store of choice or online.

Me, I'll be buried in my Chuck Taylors... :cool:

I'm with you on the Chuck Taylors, ironically I just bought 2 new pair last week.

I get what you're saying and as long as Pitino is our coach then our apparel company doesn't matter that much anyway because its not like switching to Nike is all the sudden going to allow him to start getting elite kids, but I selfishly wish we were a Nike school not just for me personally but for whoever takes over for Rick as its no doubt a little harder to recruit to an Adidas school. Also, while I understand not focusing your efforts on one single sport, Adidas is falling behind in college basketball as you can see from the article I've attached at the bottom. (5 of the top 30 kids in 2017 are going to non-Nike schools)

I'm curious to learn about what markets they're experiencing growth in because I have friends that have kids that playing sports and in high school, I belong to a gym and a lot of my close friends workout and play sports and believe me when I say that literally nobody I know wears Adidas anything and the kids all wear Nike. Maybe its just my area or something but I literally see Nike stuff everywhere and never see anyone working out in, running in or playing sports in Adidas. I run in either New Balance, Brooks, Asics or Nike.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-influence-in-college-basketball-than-adidas/

Best pair of running shoes I've owned have been Adidas.

Best pair of running shoes I've owned have been Adidas.

Really? Do you know the type you owned? I've been trying out new running shoes but my favorite for short runs or for speed runs have been Nike Flynits and my favorite shoes for anything over a 5K have been the New Balance 1080 or Asics Gel Nimbus.

I'm with you on the Chuck Taylors, ironically I just bought 2 new pair last week.

I get what you're saying and as long as Pitino is our coach then our apparel company doesn't matter that much anyway because its not like switching to Nike is all the sudden going to allow him to start getting elite kids, but I selfishly wish we were a Nike school not just for me personally but for whoever takes over for Rick as its no doubt a little harder to recruit to an Adidas school. Also, while I understand not focusing your efforts on one single sport, Adidas is falling behind in college basketball as you can see from the article I've attached at the bottom. (5 of the top 30 kids in 2017 are going to non-Nike schools)

I'm curious to learn about what markets they're experiencing growth in because I have friends that have kids that playing sports and in high school, I belong to a gym and a lot of my close friends workout and play sports and believe me when I say that literally nobody I know wears Adidas anything and the kids all wear Nike. Maybe its just my area or something but I literally see Nike stuff everywhere and never see anyone working out in, running in or playing sports in Adidas. I run in either New Balance, Brooks, Asics or Nike.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-influence-in-college-basketball-than-adidas/

Same - the only place I see Adidas apparel is on the soccer pitch. Nike, and to a lesser extent UA dominate the athletic apparel I see people wearing. I see more Oakley stuff on the golf course than I do Adidas for that matter.

Reactions: Strongtino
I would imagine that adidas kills it on the soccer front and that's where they make all their money. But I don't follow soccer. I literally see no one wearing adidas and I frequent 3 different fitness facilities and attend lots of youth and high school sporting events. I don't doubt that adidas has lots of cash, but they are not threatening nike or even reebok in the basketball world. As far as fashion.......please. It's Nike and under armour.

All you have to do is google "adidas" and anything else like "earnings" or "growth" or even a competitor like "Nike". You'll get a huge number of independent references on why adidas is killing it in the sports apparel biz.

Sorry I can't offer any personal testimonials because I'm as out-of-fashion as they come...as anyone who knows me personally will attest. What I DO understand is dollars and sense. I'll just about always hitch my wagon to who's making more of it...

Reactions: JohnKBA
I would imagine that adidas kills it on the soccer front and that's where they make all their money. But I don't follow soccer. I literally see no one wearing adidas and I frequent 3 different fitness facilities and attend lots of youth and high school sporting events. I don't doubt that adidas has lots of cash, but they are not threatening nike or even reebok in the basketball world. As far as fashion.......please. It's Nike and under armour.
Well, you're a slappy. And the sports world kinda goes from one end of the basketball court to the other. No big surprise, but that world is declining...

Well, you're a slappy. And the sports world kinda goes from one end of the basketball court to the other. No big surprise, but that world is declining...
LOL. The NBA, WNBA and NBA Development League signed a 11-year deal with Adidas in 2006. The NBA, WNBA and NBDL recently announced they will not renew with Adidas. But Adidas, who has slipped to No. 3 in sporting apparel sales in the U.S., behind Nike and Under Armour, said in a statement that it wouldn't bid on the new contract.

Adidas has individual endorsement deals with top NBA players such as Chicago's Derrick Rose, Houston's Dwight Howard and All-Stars Damian Lillard of Portland and John Wall of Washington.

Since Adidas has told to NBA, WNBA, and NBDL they aren't going to even bid on the contract, the slappy thinks the way he thinks. Maybe Adidas just knows a bad investment when they see one and isn't willing to over pay for a poor product.

Zipp, I think the what the other posters and I are trying to say is that while Adidas is making money...somewhere...its not reflected in the daily lives of everyday people and its certainly not reflected in the one area where shoe companies matter - college basketball. I mean aside from the Yeezy shoes when does anyone, anywhere even mention or care about Adidas? Its not about dollars and cents as much as it is about being with the brand that all of your athletes support and that dominate your sport.

All you have to do to prove the point is look at who each company sponsors...there couldn't be a larger discrepancy.

IU, Kansas, Louisville .Mississippi State, Miami, NC State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Texas A&M....Thats it. Thats every Power 5 program that Adidas sponsors. Not exactly a murders row of amazing sports programs.

Meanwhile Nike has: Texas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Oklahoma, Arizona, Oregon, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, Va Tech, UVA, Purdue, Memphis, Missouri, Penn State, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Tennessee, TCU, Stanford, Washington, WVU, Butler.

When 99% of the elite universities in the country are behind one brand...it says something.

Zipp, I think the what the other posters and I are trying to say is that while Adidas is making money...somewhere...its not reflected in the daily lives of everyday people and its certainly not reflected in the one area where shoe companies matter - college basketball. I mean aside from the Yeezy shoes when does anyone, anywhere even mention or care about Adidas? Its not about dollars and cents as much as it is about being with the brand that all of your athletes support and that dominate your sport.

All you have to do to prove the point is look at who each company sponsors...there couldn't be a larger discrepancy.

IU, Kansas, Louisville .Mississippi State, Miami, NC State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Texas A&M....Thats it. Thats every Power 5 program that Adidas sponsors. Not exactly a murders row of amazing sports programs.

Meanwhile Nike has: Texas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Oklahoma, Arizona, Oregon, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, Va Tech, UVA, Purdue, Memphis, Missouri, Penn State, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Tennessee, TCU, Stanford, Washington, WVU, Butler.

When 99% of the elite universities in the country are behind one brand...it says something.
I think I get what folks are TRYING to say. But that's your little world. The rest of the world is saying you've got it wrong. No one talks this kinda money with companies this size and has it backwards. Follow the money.

However they've accomplished it at this point in time, adidas has the sports apparel biz figured out. And Nike and UA do not. That's not my opinion... That's millions of people talking with their pocketbooks, checking accounts, and credit cards. If you haven't seen the effects yet, that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

As far as those schools, just about everyone is involved in long term contracts. And Nike USED TO BE where the action was. Unless things change financially for Nike, these other investments may not continue. If Nike keeps lagging adidas financially, they will start to question everything they do including collegiate sponsorships. EVERYTHING will be rationalized. Nike has big shareholders demanding that, esp. when a company like adidas is on a moonshot. The assumption is that something is wrong with Nike, and there will be big pressure on them to figure out what. Someone may ask why adidas doesn't have many sponsorships like U of L, and adidas conversely won't want to change anything. Kinda nice when you're already in bed with them.

You don't drive a car looking in the rear view mirror. That doesn't tell you where you're going. Observing where things used to be may be irrelevant. It's all about what's happening now and the path you're on. Right now, you're crazy to wanna be anywhere but on that path with adidas...

Last edited:
College basketball fans have to spend time analyzing shoe company revenues and wringing their hands over which schools are sponsored by what brand. What a strange world we live in.

Reactions: awf
The one point about this that I'm sort of trying to get across is that while Adidas may be selling more apparel overseas or selling more soccer cleats and while Adidas also sponsored Kanye West and is doing very well with fashion designers and doing well overseas , thats good. But my point was that in the area that matters to Louisville...in the area that matters to us as fans...Adidas is barely a blip on the radar.

In the college athletic game and in the minds of 15 to 25 years old athletes Nike absolutely crushes Adidas. So its nice that Adidas as a company is doing well and growing more than Nike but unless something insane happens...that won't matter. In all seriousness, its highly likely that 5 or 10 years from now Adidas has potentially made a small dent in college athletics but Nike is still overwhelmingly dominating the college basketball landscape and is still the brand that nearly every young person loves and supports because, I'm 35 years old and Nike has been the cool, "it" brand for as long as I've known or cared about athletics.

"If Nike keeps lagging adidas financially, they will start to question everything they do including collegiate sponsorships."

Last year, Nike had income that was more than double Adidas. The rumors of Nike's demise are greatly exaggerated.

" I think I get what folks are TRYING to say. But that's your little world. The rest of the world is saying you've got it wrong."

The vast majority of the fanbase cares about men's basketball, football and to a lesser degree women's basketball and baseball. Anyways, it seems that the Director's Cup standings is still littered with Nike-fed schools. Amazing how those schools can compete at such a wide range of sports all the while their shoe and apparel dealer is dying and limited in scope.

...Last year, Nike had income that was more than double Adidas. The rumors of Nike's demise are greatly exaggerated...

The vast majority of the fanbase cares about men's basketball, football and to a lesser degree women's basketball and baseball. Anyways, it seems that the Director's Cup standings is still littered with Nike-fed schools. Amazing how those schools can compete at such a wide range of sports all the while their shoe and apparel dealer is dying and limited in scope...
Nike is the larger company, so everything including revenue and profit are larger in dollars. But Nike isn't growing at a rate anywhere near adidas. And that's what investors and everyone but creditors care about.

Huge companies don't necessarily make great investments or great decisions. Fast growing companies generally do. Nike will be here tomorrow, but that doesn't mean they're designing and manufacturing quality products. If you wear Nike, fine, but you're not the market.

Again, there are a lotta Nike schools in the rear view mirror, bound by contracts that run into the future. That means very little about that future...

...In the college athletic game and in the minds of 15 to 25 years old athletes Nike absolutely crushes Adidas. So its nice that Adidas as a company is doing well and growing more than Nike but unless something insane happens...that won't matter. In all seriousness, its highly likely that 5 or 10 years from now Adidas has potentially made a small dent in college athletics but Nike is still overwhelmingly dominating the college basketball landscape and is still the brand that nearly every young person loves and supports because, I'm 35 years old and Nike has been the cool, "it" brand for as long as I've known or cared about athletics.
With all due respect, you don't know that factually, just anecdotally. If you're privy to market research that supports your POV, fell free to present it.

Neither company targets the "college athletic game" specifically, and they don't measure anything except by age range. They both want younger customers to like their product, a strategy that differentiates neither of them.

If you like Nike based on what you think is true, that's fine. You're spending your own money, and you need to be satisfied. But one more time, you ain't the entire market--not even the market segment you're situated in. And the overall market at an increasing rate prefers adidas. That's not my opinion, but rather the facts that are being reported on a regular basis. And I like being on the side of facts...

Unless I'm missing some data that you've given us..(entirely possible) I think you've missed my point Zipp.

I think, you're taking Adidas as an overall brand and saying that simply because they are doing better as an overall brand that, that somehow matters to college athletes...it does not in my opinion. Adidas can grow as a brand overall...as I said they are big in the fashion industry with their Kanye sponsorship...they are big in the athleisure market (which is dominated primarily by an older(ish) market ) and they are massive globally in soccer (the biggest soccer athletes however are all Nike sponsored, Ronaldo, Neymer, Adidas does have Messi). That all is true but still has no bearing on their place where it matters to us...in college athletics Nike is still king and unless something drastic happens will remain king on the football field, on the basketball court, on the AAU circuit, in the cities and urban areas, as the overwhelming choice of kids and young adults and everyone will still clamor for new Jordans, Kobe's, Durants, Lebron's, Hardens, Tiger, or whatever huge superstar Nike has under contract because Nike is still king.

Something else to note is that while Adidas picked up very minor wins in signing Arizona State and Rutgers recently...they lost nearly all of their elite programs in UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin and Notre Dame all to Under Armor. Also...Nike outfits 68% of the power 5 schools.

Nike is the larger company, so everything including revenue and profit are larger in dollars. But Nike isn't growing at a rate anywhere near adidas. And that's what investors and everyone but creditors care about.

Huge companies don't necessarily make great investments or great decisions. Fast growing companies generally do. Nike will be here tomorrow, but that doesn't mean they're designing and manufacturing quality products. If you wear Nike, fine, but you're not the market.

Again, there are a lotta Nike schools in the rear view mirror, bound by contracts that run into the future. That means very little about that future...

Looks like a lot of supposition on your part. Using your logic, one should hitch their wagon to HP instead of Apple since it had better stock growth in 2016.

Reactions: Crankdatmustard
Well this slappy has enough sense to know that soccer is the biggest sport in the world and adidas is very big in soccer. Therefore they have some financial clout. But we are on a college basketball message board and I can absolutely say that Nike matters in this world and adidas does not. Same goes for college football. Hell, same goes for everyday life and consumership. There is a common sense aspect of this argument that cannot be measured on paper.

I believe Lenovo has become the biggest manufacturer of computers in the world (I'm not double checking this). Would you rather own Lenovo or apple?

Looks like a lot of supposition on your part. Using your logic, one should hitch their wagon to HP instead of Apple since it had better stock growth in 2016.
adidas has been on this roll for awhile, not one year. And it's obvious enough that way more people besides me are talking about it. If you're hitched to Nike's train today, you're just reading yesterday's news...

Well this slappy has enough sense to know that soccer is the biggest sport in the world and adidas is very big in soccer. Therefore they have some financial clout. But we are on a college basketball message board and I can absolutely say that Nike matters in this world and adidas does not. Same goes for college football. Hell, same goes for everyday life and consumership. There is a common sense aspect of this argument that cannot be measured on paper.

I believe Lenovo has become the biggest manufacturer of computers in the world (I'm not double checking this). Would you rather own Lenovo or apple?
Louisville's a total sports program, not one or two sports. It's right to be paid wearing the apparel of the fastest growing company in the industry.

And soon to be making even more money doing it. Blue skies ahead, and that ain't slappy blue.

"Elite program," my a$$...

Louisville's a total sports program, not one or two sports. It's right to be paid wearing the apparel of the fastest growing company in the industry.

And soon to be making even more money doing it. Blue skies ahead, and that ain't slappy blue.

Nothing wrong with signing a lucrative deal. They just named our football stadium Kroger for crying out loud. If you personally prefer adidas to Nike or UA or whatever then hey, different strokes. If you're excited about the adidas stock price then that's great too. I'm sure globally they make a butt ton of money. But if you are waiting for adidas to surpass Nike and under armour on any level in the United States then you are going to be waiting a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: awf and Strongtino
But if you are waiting for adidas to surpass Nike, under armour and reebok on any level in the United States
Minor correction. Adidas is 3rd in USA sales behind Nike and Under Armour. They're already ahead of Reebok.

Carry on.

We talkin' bout sneakers here? Sneakers? Not sports wear, but sneakers? Not training equipment, not uniforms...but sneakers? Seriously? Sneakers? ;)
702551_1280x720.jpg

...if you are waiting for adidas to surpass Nike, under armour and reebok on any level in the United States then you are going to be waiting a long time.
Minor correction. Adidas is 3rd in USA sales behind Nike and Under Armour. They're already ahead of Reebok...
adidas IS now Reebok along with other brands.

And they're already surpassing other apparel brands. Or at least that's what the industry experts are telling us.

But what do they know esp. compared to a slapd!ck?

adidas has been on this roll for awhile, not one year. And it's obvious enough that way more people besides me are talking about it. If you're hitched to Nike's train today, you're just reading yesterday's news...

You act as if Adidas just came out of nowhere. They have been around since at least the Run DMC days. They've made some good strategic decisions the past 5 years, much of it tied to the exponential growth in soccer. That being said, apparel and shoe trends can be very fickle. Nike has several billion in cash reserves. That cash alone just about guarantees they won't be "yesterday's news".

adidas IS now Reebok along with other brands.

And they're already surpassing other apparel brands. Or at least that's what the industry experts are telling us.

But what do they know esp. compared to a slapd!ck?

I don't care what they know. I have eyeballs. No one wears adidas

You act as if Adidas just came out of nowhere. They have been around since at least the Run DMC days. They've made some good strategic decisions the past 5 years, much of it tied to the exponential growth in soccer. That being said, apparel and shoe trends can be very fickle. Nike has several billion in cash reserves. That cash alone just about guarantees they won't be "yesterday's news".

I think we're all discussing different things here and we're all correct in what we're saying. Adidas is growing they've chipped into Nike's market share, they have sponsorship with Kayne, Pharrel, Jay Z, fashion designed Alexander Wang that have proven to be profitable. Adidas is without a doubt chipping away at Nike's dominance in the athletic shoe market, the athletic apparel market and in the key youth demographic. Zipp is correct in that fact....my point was, so what? Nike has a dominance on the market...Nike lost market share last time I checked and still owned something like 53% of the entire athletic shoe market and 35% of the entire athletic apparel market. I believe Adidas owned something close to 10% of the shoe market and that was WITH them chipping away like Zipp said.

Adidas is gaining ground but they're not coming close to Nike...I saw a stat that said Adidas, Under Armor and Reebok combined don't equal Nike's revenue or market share. That was my point in all of this...I don't care how well Adidas is doing, they're still 2nd place and they will ALWAYS be 2nd place. Nike owns around 70% of the power 5 schools and Under Armor has more prestigious colleges under their sponsorship than Adidas does.....Adidas isn't going to ever approach Nike in the one market area that we're all here for - college athletics.

Having said all of that - I'm 35 and to my knowledge I've never owned a pair of Adidas shoes, after this discussion the last two days I have came to the conclusion that Adidas is producing shoes that I would actually buy now, so thats good.

Again, it's not where you are--it's where you're going... All of this anecdotal "I like it better" stuff is irrelevant. Your observations about what kids like or what basketball players wear is through your eyes. And don't start posting Nike ads to make your point. All of that is irrelevant.

The dollars tell the story. Industry and financial experts are just about unanimous on the situation. adidas is eating everyone else's lunch including yours if you're on the wrong end of this debate.

U of L is making the right decisions and ringing the cash register as it usually does. And you should be happy about that as I am...

Ha that pic is a blast from the past. My fondest memory of them was when I was young and my mom had a Christmas album that featured a song of theirs. It was weird man. Then they fiddled with Aerosmith and it was also weird.

I actually did have an awesome pair of adidas running shoes. I ran those b****'s into the rocks.

The information I provided wasn't anecdotal or opinion base. Yes I like Nike a lot better than Adidas....but so does everyone else. My observations are that even with Nike losing market share and money they are still dominating and still the overwhelming apparel and shoe company that people support (look at their share of the athletic shoe market and the apparel market). Just because Adidas is doing great right now does not mean that they will continue to chip away at Nike, nor does it mean that Adidas will ever approach Nike's level of popularity.

I 100% understand what you're saying Zipp.....Adidas is hot, Adidas is on top of the game as far as generating revenue as a company and that's who UL should hitch their wagon to. It makes sense....I'm simply saying that just because Adidas is booming right now does not mean they are ever going to come close to Nike due to Nike's insane size and the level of sheer dominance they have in the market. Adidas is booming and Nike is slipping and Adidas still generates about half the revenue that Nike does.

Quick...name me the best athletes Adidas supports.....I'll tell you - Derrick Rose, Damian Lillard, James Harden.
Nike sponsored players - Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Kyrie, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Chris Paul, Carmelo, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, Deandre Jordan.

I lived in Germany when I was young, and moved back to the states when I was in 8th grade. At the time in Germany (circa 1972 or so) Adidas was all everybody wore. I brought back a pair of black felt Adidas with fluorescent orange stripes that everybody went apesh!t over. They put the all white Chucks to shame. Can you imagine sporting these bad boys around the neighborhood in the early 70s?
Original-New-Arrival-font-b-Adidas-b-font-ORACLE-VI-font-b-Men-s-b-font.jpg

Last edited:
Adidas owns Reebok, along with Taylor Made. They clearly are trying to grow through acquisition.

I wore Adidas Gazelles through most of high school. Those shoes were awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT