ADVERTISEMENT

Adel And Spalding Testing NBA Draft

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Junior wing Deng Adel and junior forward Ray Spalding both confirmed that they will be entering the NBA Draft but not hiring agents, so as to preserve their collegiate eligibility should they decide to return to school.

This will be the second time that Adel has entered the NBA Draft, doing so last spring before making the decision to return to school.

Playing just over 33 minutes per game, the 6-foot-8 Adel averaged 15.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists per contest, shooting 44.8 percent from the field and 35.0 percent from three. Moving into the starting lineup after serving as a reserve in each of his first two seasons at Louisville, the 6-foot-10 Spalding averaged 12.3 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 27.4 minutes per game.

Not a big surprise for many. If one or both come back it would be a big plus.

I suspect both will stay in the draft just because of the unknown with the FBI investigation hovering over the Cards program. Wish both would stick around for their senior years but I sure don't expect it.

Both will be lucky to play in the better leagues overseas. Neither is ready for NBA. Ray may stick due to length but physically, no way.

They will probably both end up in the G League, D League or whatever the league is. There are just so many good players, it's hard to predict success at the NBA level for too many guys.

I love former players, these guys both seem to have a few too many holes in their game to make a team first year eligible.

If Ray put on weight and found a 3 pt shot he'd get a look maybe in a year or two. Adel just doesn't seem talented enough.

Then again I never saw Jimmy Butler making an All Star team when I watched him at Marquette, so who knows?

With Ray, I think it's about handles and the outside shot. He's not playing the 5. Now, can he become that player? I think so, but he's not there yet.

Do teams give that chance to him by drafting him? I don't think so.

Adel, I don't know. He could play the2-3 spots, but he lacks some things to play either.

Last edited:
Ray has the talent but not the strength he needs to add some more weight and develop a consistent outside shot. He got pushed around a lot in the MSU game. Adel has such bad ball handling skills I just don't see him in the NBA. Like I have said before I have seen some really good players not not make the NBA.
Earl Clarke was a big strong college player who was really good in college but struggled in the NBA. He made a team but later was moved down to the D league. The other thing young players struggle with is the length of the season. They get half way through the season and then hit the wall.

If I’m Ray or Deng I wouldn’t base any decision on the FBI. It’s going to be several years before that will effect us. So if they aren’t ready coming back is still an option.

Given everything that the NCAA has done to us I just don’t see anything major coming especially after VT said yesterday they really don’t have anything without the FBI stuff. Sounded to me like we won’t be handing them the evidence this time. Go pound sand NCAA.

I read some draft analysis of Adel and it doesn’t look like he is well regarded by the pundits. The basic take most have is that he just isn’t elite in any facet of his game and he struggles with ball handling. The other real knock though is that he isn’t a great defender. With his height and build he has the look of a guy who could guard multiple positions. Unfortunately he just doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard off the bounce. He regularly gets beat by quick guards. Looks like he will be playing overseas.

The hope is both can salvage a pro career in some capacity and put some $ away - return to school, finish off, and live a good life.

I read some draft analysis of Adel and it doesn’t look like he is well regarded by the pundits. The basic take most have is that he just isn’t elite in any facet of his game and he struggles with ball handling. The other real knock though is that he isn’t a great defender. With his height and build he has the look of a guy who could guard multiple positions. Unfortunately he just doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard off the bounce. He regularly gets beat by quick guards. Looks like he will be playing overseas.

He is a guy, that arguably missed Pitino the most. That said, ultimately it's on the player to improve the areas that are needed. He already got scouts opinions the prior year - surely they shared with him what you're posting. Yet, we just didn't see any improvement defensively. He always played hard, he just didn't really get any better. That's the reality. I still say part of it is he was thrust into a leading scorer role and he just wasn't good enough to be an alpha at this level.

Junior wing Deng Adel and junior forward Ray Spalding both confirmed that they will be entering the NBA Draft but not hiring agents, so as to preserve their collegiate eligibility should they decide to return to school.

This will be the second time that Adel has entered the NBA Draft, doing so last spring before making the decision to return to school.

Playing just over 33 minutes per game, the 6-foot-8 Adel averaged 15.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists per contest, shooting 44.8 percent from the field and 35.0 percent from three. Moving into the starting lineup after serving as a reserve in each of his first two seasons at Louisville, the 6-foot-10 Spalding averaged 12.3 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 27.4 minutes per game.

Not a big surprise for many. If one or both come back it would be a big plus.

The NBA draft is about potential, and with the way Ray improved from year 2 to 3, there's no reason to think that won't continue. I can see Ray getting positive feedback and staying in.

Deng, I don't know. He regressed. Chris Mack is an offensive-minded coach, Deng might really blossom in year 4 under Mack's tutelage. It's hard to see him getting the kind of feedback that will keep him in the draft at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT